Why Would A Dog Jump The Fence?

Steph M

I know this question has 3.5 million answers, just wondering if anyone has any insight.

We have had Rosie since 6 months old, she is 2 and a bit now. We have 6ft wooden fences, while we work they're outside.

They have a carport out of the wind with a rug and old couch, an undercover deck and a big yard, admittedly the weather has been pretty crap, and I'd be happy to leave them in if she wasnt a compulsive thief...ahem.

She's never shown any interest in leaving the yard without us before. We can be in the front yard or dogs walking by and she's good. We even have the odd paling loose at the back of the yard and they pay no attention to it, not that it'd be big enough for either dog to do more than see out of.

So today I pull into the drive and think 'huh, there's a dog sitting in next doors driveway in the rain'

I park the car and I'm like WAIT. THATS MY DOG! I called her and she refused to come back the normal way, instead leaping from a stand over the fence with no real scrabbling or trouble. WTF superbitch!

I'm not convinced she does it often, from the look of shock on her face and the frantic decision making (do i come to you or hop the fence? Pickonepickonepickone) I'd think it was the first time, and our neighbours would have mentioned her royal bitchiness wandering the streets regularly.

I have to have a full look around the fence and see she hasn't found an alternate route in the morning, but is it likely once she's sussed it out this will become her new game?

I'm wondering if anyone has any bright ideas as to what is going on in that coconut of hers?

Mandatory photo of her Royal buttheadedness below.

mcKNwKNh.jpg

She's obviously a smart coconut laugh.gif

First thought is simply boredom. She's a koolie mix isn't she? They're smart working dogs. If she's bored she's decided to entertain herself by escaping and visiting the neighbours.

I did think that, but usually we come home to her snoozing or dancing around the back door for dinner, certainly was my first thought too, but why today and why so sudden?

Little beast. I'll add it to the list and freeze some chicken frames in stock overnight and rotate the toys.

And god knows what she is. Whippet c something working. Kelpie/koolie/cow haha.

Why?

1. Because they can.

2. Because its a big world outside that fence and some dogs want to explore it.

If she gets a taste for it, it's damned hard to stop. I'd be looking at raising the fence or adding a barrier to stop jumping NOW.

I did think that, but usually we come home to her snoozing or dancing around the back door for dinner, certainly was my first thought too, but why today and why so sudden?

Little beast. I'll add it to the list and freeze some chicken frames in stock overnight and rotate the toys.

Was it windy today? laugh.gif

Or my favourite answer "Because F you that's why"

But really... less walks/training than normal?

Edited by LisaCC

Why?

1. Because they can.

2. Because its a big world outside that fence and some dogs want to explore it.

If she gets a taste for it, it's damned hard to stop. I'd be looking at raising the fence or adding a barrier to stop jumping NOW.

And yea definitely this.

Lili did this once, well kind of.

We came home and she was sitting on the front doorstep. She had gotten between the fence and the gate as there was hair stuck there! The neighbour at the time was renovating and we guessed she had been scared by the noise - she can be quite flighty with noise - and had escaped and then freaked so sat there waiting for us to get home. Eejit.

With Rosie jumping like that though I would be worried she will keep doing it just 'cause it's fun. Maybe pop up some lattice extenders on the fence or something similar?

Aw, doncha know there's a WORLD out there that called her at this particular time?

There were smells, potential thrills AND did you not know how clever I was to escape the back yard. Did I tell you how much I loved the smells, the different ground I walked on and the thrill!!!!!

It was a calling that came upon me. Maybe it might be a one off, I dunno.

Maybe I need aids to remove my ennui but life did call me just like that. LOL.

I am repeating what my cowVizsla would tell me AFTER she walked along the 9ft fence to escape to freedom.

:eek:

chasing cats/pigeons/leaves/the wind ?

This. Jodie won't leave us - but she doesn't notice fences if a strange cat comes into her yard. It HAS to be skitched (she's never caught/hurt one) and the two times she did this she then seemed surprised and confused that she wasn't still at home and had to be rescued back through/over.

Or the big FU - because she can!

She has her own cats to hassle! And a chicken. And lots of birds...

VM and co, Im thinking you might be on the money with the FU, haha.

I can't think of a legitimate reason so perhaps she was just being a turd.

Our Lou was a bit of an escape artist..

In our first place she squeezed herself through a small gap between the back and side fence and would just sit in the front yard watching the world go by until we fixed the issue.

She was a funny girl.

You might want to top your fences with rolly bits - unless she cleared it without touching the top - that would be harder - you'd need the cat hat man's floppy fence with overhang (on the dog side) to stop that.

i08Rolling_pins_side2.jpg

Dingos will go "foraging" any time their humans/pack are not home - because they feel the urge and it's "fun".

My brother's dog would jump any fence if there was any thunder. My brother tried tying her up when thunderstorms were predicted to find her hanging by her neck - over the fence - still alive but that scared the crap out of him. He also tried building up the fence but that didn't work either. She could clear 2m easy when she was frightened.

Now that she knows she can it's unlikely she'll stop. They're butts like that :laugh:

If it were me I'd hook up a Pingg String immediately. A whack or two and she'll never try it again, especially if she's only succeeded once before and doesn't have a long reward history behind her.