Question About Pedigrees

Since I've been entering my dogs in official agility competitions, I've been paying more attention to other entries and trying to work out what all the titles mean. What I've noticed is that imported dogs have IMP <country of origin>, which makes sense but the one I find baffling is the AI listing. Why is this information added to a pedigree listing and does it make much difference whether a dog was mated naturally or inseminated?

I'm going to assume there is a reason for adding it, but I don't know what it is.

Since I've been entering my dogs in official agility competitions, I've been paying more attention to other entries and trying to work out what all the titles mean. What I've noticed is that imported dogs have IMP <country of origin>, which makes sense but the one I find baffling is the AI listing. Why is this information added to a pedigree listing and does it make much difference whether a dog was mated naturally or inseminated?

I'm going to assume there is a reason for adding it, but I don't know what it is.

As far as I know, only to indicate that the pup was conceived by AI.

AI explains some obvious stuff, like - huh? The sire is in deepest darkest Europe - how could the bitch have got there and back in time to whelp in Australia??? And AI explains litters where the sire crossed the Bridge eight years ago.laugh.gif

There are quite a lot of AI litters where the pups don't have AI after their names, because an ordinary stud certificate could be signed by the stud owner. I think most of the time you will find the pups have that suffix when frozen semen has been used, because there is a whole lot of extra paperwork for that. smile.gif

Edited by RuralPug

That makes sense RP; not being a breeder I didn't even think about using dead stud dogs. Is using them a common occurrence? The dog in my eyes would have to be truly exceptional or have died at a young age.

Breeding is a fascinating subject to me; there's so much to learn and know about the breeds and genetics. I truly have an appreciation for all the wonderful breeders out there!

That makes sense RP; not being a breeder I didn't even think about using dead stud dogs. Is using them a common occurrence? The dog in my eyes would have to be truly exceptional or have died at a young age.

Breeding is a fascinating subject to me; there's so much to learn and know about the breeds and genetics. I truly have an appreciation for all the wonderful breeders out there!

The gene pool is small for my breed, I use whatever means is available to me, including semen from dead dogs if that is what I think will be a good match for my girl. Only problem is we can not import FS from a dead dog which is a real pity.

Here's a litter (now about 5 weeks old) that was conceived using 15 year old frozen semen. Yes, from a lovely dog, and to get older bloodlines back.

post-2308-0-18562700-1432347844_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sagittarian

These days with availablity of reprodution services frozen semen is an excellent tool for the breeder - but collection and freezing of semen must be done in advance BEFORE the dog dies or becomes too elderly. So if your wonder sire that you had your heart set on dies of a freak accident, that won't be an option unless the stud owner has already gone to the expense. frown.gif However, unless the gene pool is your chosen breed is really tiny, you probably wouldn't collect a stud for future generations unless he had pretty much already proved his worth as a sire of excellent stock ovefr at least a couple of generations. Obviously, if he died really young of health issue, you wouldn't want to pass those on...

Fifty years ago, if breeders lusted after some trait that was perhaps being lost in their line, and they knew that Champion Prepotent GeneBoy quite often produced that trait in his offspring, it would be laborious line breeding of his grandchildren/great grandchildren etc to try and regain that trait and hope the genetic dice would come up within a few generations. Now, if the old boy had been collected and their are straws available, there is an excellent chance of doing it in one generation! Progress!!! smile.gif

(In real life, you are almost never looking ever for a single trait but are weighing many traits when you decide on a stud to complement your bitch. You are always trying to improve each generation, but there are times when an outstanding dog of the past can still contribute to improvements!)

However, unless the gene pool is your chosen breed is really tiny, you probably wouldn't collect a stud for future generations unless he had pretty much already proved his worth as a sire of excellent stock ovefr at least a couple of generations.

My boy is unlikely to be used while alive but he is already collected for a future breeding.