Benny's Battle - Oral Osetosarcoma

For Benny

My beautiful 13 year old Lab/Rottie/Ridgeback cross called Benny, Benson or Ben depending on his behavior, was diagnosed last week with aggressive oral Osetosarcoma. They have given him two weeks, tomorrow will be week one. I have never done palliative care for a dog before and at the moment I am somewhat flying blind whilst my heart is shattering.

I spent last night reading through Sophie's and Emma's stories, bless all the dogs furry souls, to try to understand what to expect, what to do, and what has worked for other people. I also want to thank you all for sharing your wonderful tails, devastating heartbreak, joy and despair. It is of great value to all of us that are facing the loss of their noble heart friend in such cruel circumstances.

So far I have changed his diet to raw food (chicken, liver & kidneys, beef, vegies), supplemented with Fish Oil, Vit C, loads of garlic and ginger and Zinc. Benny has a Lab stomach, a garbage guts who will eat anything at any time.. Thinking that Slippery Elm will be good for his tummy with all the meds - it worked wonders with the horses and my kids when they were younger.

I have also been making him chicken and beef broth, that's where the loads of ginger and garlic come in, which I mix with his food and also freeze for those days that I don't have time. The reason that I am doing this is because it seems to be hurting him to drink water, thus he is not drinking enough, I think. Does anyone know why this is happening? What is about water? I have even served it warm and in different types of containers. Maybe he is just turning up his nose at Sydney water. :confused:

As for meds he started on Carprieve 100mg x 2 daily. After speaking to the vet, yesterday I picked up new meds. So he also has Gabapentian 100mg x 1 daily and Tramadol 50mg 3 x 6-8 hours. Yesterday I thought it was overkill, he will be in la-la land, but after last night, he was in so much pain he was growling at me. He is now on the full course. He never was any good when he was in pain.

This morning he was not much better, still growling, slept most of the morning and then went out to lie on his bed in the sun. He has just had his lunchtime meds and he has zonked out again. Don't know if that is a normal reaction to the meds? Or is just the disease? Or both?

Seriously thinking that Benny will be in real trouble by the weekend. My eldest son returns to Aus on Friday, hoping that Benny will be OK till then. This is somewhat sooner than I thought :( At least all my children will be with me and Benny. I am looking possibly having the vet come to home and then cremating Ben. There seem to be quite a few business that do this. Can anyone recommend a fair and gentle cremation service in Sydney (Northside) that they have had experience with. I called one of them and I must of interrupted lunch or such - gave me the prices and said to look on the website. They were recommended by my vet as that is who they use. They are a well known service, a tad appalled I must say.

As for Benny he was a rescue pup, he and his litter were tortured by a family. As a result he has a strong dislike of young children, some men (I have always agreed with his evaluation by the way) and the vacuum cleaner. I got him at 12 weeks, he failed puppy school ....twice. Seriously. :laugh: He also does not play well with others, totally socially inept. :) Though he has had two furry friends that he has adored in his life. Robust and strong, he only went to vets for vaccinations till very recently.

My delinquent Benny boy has grown to be my heart dog. A finer more loyal dog I could not wish for by my side.

So sorry for the really long .....post.

post-53685-0-84312000-1433221611_thumb.jpg

For Benny, please don't let him suffer. If the meds are not keeping him pain free you need to rethink your plans of keeping him going until the weekend. The most important thing is keeping him pain free and if he's growling at you he must be in serious pain. Can you increase the dose of his pain relief meds? If the answer is no then please do the kindest thing you can do for him. Give him the gift of release from pain.

Edited to add: Sophie had a raw diet all her life until she was diagnosed with oral osteosarcoma. Because of the bacteria in raw meat I cooked all her meat and vegetables after she was diagnosed. She was fed organic food only, after diagnosis.

Edited by cavNrott

I'm so, so sorry for what's happening with you and Benny :cry: I've recently been through losing one of my precious boys and I know how heartbreaking it is to see them in pain and how helpless you feel in this situation. Although my boy's situation was different to your Benny (Jordie had ruptured a disc in his spine and was paralyzed), the speed with which it happened and the decision about pain management and quality of life are very similar. I agree with cavNrott's advice. It's very, very hard to put our own pain aside when faced with such a heartbreaking decision - I only had 24 hours after diagnosis with my Jordie and as much as I wanted to just hold him and keep him with me and ignore the reality, I couldn't allow him to continue to be in pain knowing that there was no hope for his future. I wanted his last day with me to be as beautiful as I could make it - for him, not for me. I still miss him every day, it's still very raw, but I don't regret my decision to let him go when it was best for him. I don't think I could stand it if I also had the guilt of knowing that I made him stay long after he told me he was ready to go.

Big, big hugs to you and your sweet Benny :heart::grouphug::heart:

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts, support and encouragement.

Late on Tuesday the new meds kicked in for Benny. Phew. It has made such a difference for him. Since then he has been almost his old self. He has wanted to go for walks, mind you at a slower place than his normal rocket pace.

He has been out for car rides to visit my 95 year old parents, whom adore him. If I knew he was so amazing and gentle with the elderly and frail I would of done more in that area with him. But living interstate for so many years he has not the had the exposure to the elderly.

Yesterday he had a bath & blow dry and he took off in the backyard running and rolling about like his old self. He smells so much better, mind you his foul fish breath I cant do anything about. One thing that I have noticed is that his fur is falling out in quite large quantities. This is most usual for him.

Benny has not lost his huge appetite, but he still will not touch water. Wish I knew why. :confused:

He has also developed a lump just below his shoulder tip, so I think that it has spread rapidly throughout his body.

Today my eldest son arrives back in Aus so we are having a family dinner, with Benny as guest of honor. He has watched them grow from teenagers to adults and they dearly love him. They have each been asked to bring him a special treat to eat.

Come Saturday it will be 12 days after I first noticed his fish breath and 10 days since being diagnosed with an oral tumor.

Tomorrow Benny will be put at peace surrounded by his family.

Thinking of you, For Benny. I know only too well how painful this is for you :hug: Excellent news to hear that Benny's pain meds kicked in so he was able to spend enjoying these few days virtually pain free.

Thinking of you all.....and dear Benny. It is nearly three years since we lost our big boy to mandibular osteosarcoma. It is a particularly insidious cancer and it is uplifting to hear that Benny was like his old self when the pain meds kicked in. Sending you strength at this difficult time :grouphug: