Suggestions For A Dog Breed For New Dog Owners.

Lhok

Salukis do come in smooth coats but are not a breed I'd consider suitable for a first time dog owner unless they are prepared to step up for that breed in a big way because they really want one.

Gundogs have looser flews to enable them to hold birds. Loose flews = capacity for drooling. That doesn't mean they'll do it all the time but they are certainly capable of it.

A Whippet might fit the bill. I also love Pointers but if the occasional drool at food is an issue, strike them out.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a greyhound fits the bill for sure. Unlike most breeds greys have no smell, I bath my two about once a year, a quick wipe over with a grooming mitt when I remember :o long lived with no genetic disorders such as HD. I don't walk mine everyday as they have a nice big yard to zoom in but an hour a day would be fine for a grey. They could foster first to see if a greyhound suits them but it is VERY important to go to a reputable greyhound rescue. They are sadly a dime a dozen now and rehoming unsuitable dogs all over the place :( What state are they in Lhok?

Why oh why is it only me who suggests a Labrador??

did you hit the magical level of perfection with your lab?

my 1st one doesn't shed much but has a very full on personality - so drive wise not a great match for 1st time owners (but exactly what we wanted a high drive dog)

2nd one - laid back, understands what no means is taking training easily- but sheds his hair to ensure our floorboards are carpeted daily, so not suited for someone who doesn't want to wear dog hair as a badge of honour.

If they find a breed that clicks for them though - compromises will be made either in the cleaning department or in the training department - either way adding a dog will surely only improve things!

Yup. Laid back, happy to be alone in the yard with a big bone and some stuffed kongs. Loves to learn and food motivated. Chocolate brown so shedding hair is easily disguised but he's mainly in his bed in the lounge room with us. Just a happy silly boy who loves every inch of us. Oh and he's so beautiful he stops traffic.

Edited by Stressmagnet

Labs drool. Mine only drools when there's food around which can be prevented by training them to sit on their bed while you eat.

They also shed a lot. Mine doesn't shed as much as others I've met but there are certainly labs out there that you tend to wear and would absolutely require a daily vacuum.

I don't think an hour a day is enough exercise unless they are getting training through the day as well (at least while they are younger). The right lab could work; but with so many out there I think they'd really be taking their chances.

I would also recommend a whippet. They are cute, low maintenance and no smell. All the ones I have met have seemed to be very clean. They're probably more outgoing than greyhounds and a bit more dog park friendly than greys if that's what the owners are intending on.

Yes, they might be low maintenance in terms of coat care, but they need a lot of care. I wouldn't describe a Weim as easy going....mine was kind of bossy!

She used to bite me on the bum if I wasn't paying her enough attention.

Edited by WeimMe

From what I read in the opening post, the German Pinscher would be worth a serious look. I reckon it would fit the bill fairly well but best advice would come from a breeder. I also wouldn't discount the standard smooth dachshund if that is a breed that appeals to them. Worth meeting some IRL with a breeder or at a show.

Had a longer chat to them today about it.

Drooling is definitely something they don't want as they don't want to step in it on the floor or have the drool mark if the dog puts their head on their pants.

As far as dog training goes they would be going to classes, but the dog wouldn't be getting mental stimulation in regards to trick training or anything like that.

The hair shedding is an issue so far in that the girlfriend works in a professional area and wouldn't like to lint roller her clothes before she goes to work.

Grooming has to be low maintenance as in zoom groom and done.

I mentioned maybe fostering before they got a dog but they were concerned that they might get a dog that has behaviour issues they would be ill equipped to deal with.

The girlfriend isn't keen on short faced dogs or bull breeds due to them being a little scary. (I know they aren't but at least they are honest)

--Lhok

Unless they were mad keen on the breed for some reason I probably wouldn't suggest a GSP, Viz or or a Weim. Awesome but need a fair whack of mental stimulation and structure.

And secure fences with a reasonably sized back yard are needed.

One of the Vizsla girls had no issues in climbing the 11 foot fence.... Such fun

:eek:

The current Vizsla is actively engaged in doing a complete engineering make over of the same yard.....

Holes spaced 22 inches apart. Said holes appear to be an effort to get back to Queensland.

I know this because his litter brother [ in Queensland] is digging similar holes to attempt a reunion.

BOTH dogs have plenty of exercise, activity but they gotta dig

:eek:

Edited by VizslaMomma

If they fostered with a responsible group and issues arise then the dog goes back :confused: that's the beauty of fostering with a view to adopt, you know, try before you buy?

Dunno sounds to me they may not be up to the commitment of a dog at all :/

I was wondering if the greyhound was not suitable but correctly chosen, they would be great, why not go with the dachshund? The fact one is keen might sway the other as well....

Unknown bred to both might backfire, IMO.

:(

Had a longer chat to them today about it.

Drooling is definitely something they don't want as they don't want to step in it on the floor or have the drool mark if the dog puts their head on their pants.

As far as dog training goes they would be going to classes, but the dog wouldn't be getting mental stimulation in regards to trick training or anything like that.

The hair shedding is an issue so far in that the girlfriend works in a professional area and wouldn't like to lint roller her clothes before she goes to work.

Grooming has to be low maintenance as in zoom groom and done.

I mentioned maybe fostering before they got a dog but they were concerned that they might get a dog that has behaviour issues they would be ill equipped to deal with.

The girlfriend isn't keen on short faced dogs or bull breeds due to them being a little scary. (I know they aren't but at least they are honest)

--Lhok

No hair, no drool.

No dog?

What kinds of concession are they prepared to make to having a living animal in their home.

Short of a hairless dog, some degree of hair is inevitable. If that freaks them out, I have to say a dog is not for them. How will they deal with pee, poo or vomit??

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Maybe a plush toy?

A dog is a dog. If you can't deal with a bit of hair or drool (my dog doesn't drool but he drinks water then comes & drips on our laps), you probably aren't really able to put up with having a dog.

The closest thing to not a dog that might suit them could be a Greyhound or even a Whippet? They do shed a bit but I'm sure a wipe with a rubber mitt every other day would probably reduce that.

Maybe a plush toy?

A dog is a dog. If you can't deal with a bit of hair or drool (my dog doesn't drool but he drinks water then comes & drips on our laps), you probably aren't really able to put up with having a dog.

The closest thing to not a dog that might suit them could be a Greyhound or even a Whippet? They do shed a bit but I'm sure a wipe with a rubber mitt every other day would probably reduce that.

A greyhound is not a dog? O.o

Maybe a plush toy?

A greyhound is not a dog? O.o

Dont panic Hazy LOL I think what Scoot meant to say is that with that list and those priorities, then greyhound or maybe whippet are the next best thing to no dog at all. Love your reaction though! laugh.gif

Well they're so cruisy!! They're happy to sleep on the couch all day, or give cuddles, or just sleep on the couch, or play in the yard but not for too long laugh.gif I love them, don't get me wrong!! I'd totally get one if the husband would let me. They're so smoochy & I love when they snuffle their snout on my hand for a pat smile.gif

That's a pretty typical list from a newby, non experienced person who wants a pet but not a hobby IME - with the right dog, people usually flex a bit, but basically they want a calm, happy little dog that's somewhat risk averse (so doesn't stray far and is happy to just fit in) and not easily pushed to aggression. I have several family members that went looking for exactly that and got it - and the dogs live like little kings and queens as a result.

If they are prepared to pay for super regular clipping, a wool coated breed clipped short would probably be the best option. They might luck out with a lagotto that's on the quiet to timid side for the breed, and there's probably a few other breeds that they could look at if they could find the right individual, but their best bet is probably to keep an eye out in rescue for a little dog (that will probably need a haircut to show it's potential) that is happy to chill on the couch and just hang with them - they exist though (I call them floopsy dogs coz they aren't my cup of tea ;) )