Raising Two Puppies At Once

Sheridan

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Puppy report: don't know why Bunny is weeing inside. Not all the time but after she's been out or done a wee and often just inside the door when the door is open. Roo is like most boys; when something takes hold in his little brain it sticks. He is tapping on the back door to go out, good boy.

Roo and his lead training! At 4 months he's incredibly strong so walking on a loose lead is imperative. He is okay when there's no smells to be had but gee, there's so many good smells! He pulls a lot and food is not always a distraction. Any tips?

He'd pull to get to the spots he wanted to sniff and/or pee on... lol!

Once we'd gotten about 50m, it was all business to proper walking. I used a check chain early in the piece to signal him that it's time to walk nicely now...

T.

Today's walk was pretty good. I gave him his head for about half then started shoving food into his mouth every few metres. For the majority of the walk back he was entirely loose lead. Still with the food but progress!

Well done Sheridan! He'll love his walks more if he's allowed to check out some smells and the like for a little bit of the first part... I did find that mine settled down after the initial excitement of being out and about in the big wide world with all the new smells and such...

T.

Hi Sheridan,

All I can say is Go for it.... when I got my Holly 2 years ago we had already planned on getting another pup and had tracked one down but further away than we expected... I let Holly settle in for 10 days then we went and picked up Lace... Travelling home at first we had them in separate crates but they cried to be together so much we stopped and put them in the same crate... they curled up together immediately and went to sleep until we got home.

They were never parted - even when they were desexed the vet laughed that she ended up putting them into the same cage until pickup time as they just wanted to curl up together.

I found that potty training 2 of them was no different to training one.. they were probably a bit quicker... (I have had many other pups over the years)...

Sadly we had a farm accident when they were 14 months old and we lost little Lace. Holly was inconsolable... and so was I..

So for Holly's sake we bought another puppy... a 9 week old boy ... Holly has such an amazing temprement she took to Harry straight away and mothered him...

I am so relieved that I took that plunge and got another puppy after losing Lace... it helped us heal in a sort of a fashion but I will never get over losing Lace.

Sounds lovely, Seren.

I must get the video up of Roo dancing in his sleep. Such funny.

We went different ways on our walks last night and they weren't quite sure about any of it. But even when giving him his head, Roo was fairly loose on lead. Bunny pulls as we turn into our street and I think it's because she can hear Roo barking in his crate.

Car sick puppies sometimes will get better if their travelling arrangement is altered - for instance, if they are on a crate in the back seat, try and see if they do not get sick if in a (small) crate in the passenger footwell or anywhere else on the floor. That is somehow due to change in the nature of vibrations.

Others may do better if they can see the horizon, which may mean raising their crate on a box or something so that they can see out of the window (not just sky) OR if they can already see the horizon and are sick, then perhaps cover their crate with a cloth so that they cannot see. That has something to do with neural processing of vision and perceived motion.

Experiment a little, you might get lucky. She MIGHT grow out of it even if you take no action, but it's probably best to try different things in the hope that one will work so that she doesn't come to have a mental association that car ride = upset tummy.

I haven't tried that, T. Will have to get some from the market on the weekend.

I gave her a car sickness tablet tonight and fed a ginger biscuit. She had some drool but no vomit. We'll be doing lots of car not scary stuff, too, but she has to travel to training twice a week so she will have to get better soon. Plus we have a big trip coming up in a month! I am getting.a Blackhound double crate for the boot. Need to find a solution soon!