Rspca Canberra

BarbedWire

I have another question for the knowledgeable DOLers. I am going off topic but that's okay since I started the thread. :)

Re the RSPCA inspectorate. In the ACT there is only the one RSPCA so I assume they are responsible for animal welfare matters within the ACT, but in NSW where there seem to be more than 20 RSPCAs who is responsible for animal welfare issues? Do they have an area each with a definite boundary? Or are inspectors from NSW RSPCAs able to investigate animal welfare issues anywhere within the state?

They would be able to investigate anywhere within the state, but they do definitely have regions that they work in. NSW inspectors have certainly come and assisted ACT on occasion

I have another question for the knowledgeable DOLers. I am going off topic but that's okay since I started the thread. :)

Re the RSPCA inspectorate. In the ACT there is only the one RSPCA so I assume they are responsible for animal welfare matters within the ACT, but in NSW where there seem to be more than 20 RSPCAs who is responsible for animal welfare issues? Do they have an area each with a definite boundary? Or are inspectors from NSW RSPCAs able to investigate animal welfare issues anywhere within the state?

They would be able to investigate anywhere within the state, but they do definitely have regions that they work in. NSW inspectors have certainly come and assisted ACT on occasion

Thank you j

I did a backstage tour of the RSPCA ACT a few months ago and found it hugely enlightening. They really do care for all sorts of animals, many of them at the back and not visible to the public. Animal cruelty and neglect is definitely something they are focusing on more...although the article does exaggerate in a way in that many of the ones seized recently were small animals and birds! (not that they are not also important of course )

They are definitely struggling financially. For the last couple of months they have stopped taking in stray dogs from members of the public and all dogs are now directed to the DAS pound, leading to an increase in numbers there.

I have just made a donation. This is the link if anyone else wants to do the same.

https://act.rspca.org.au/start-your-donation-story

ETA I think I sent my donation to RSPCA Australia and I meant it to go to RSPCA ACT. Oh dear!

ETA2 I just rang the RSPCA ACT and because the donation went through their website it will end up with the ACT. RSPCA Australia processes it but then sends them on. Phew!

Edited by sarsaparilla