Bed Wetting

catbrit

HI all,

I have a 6 month old Brittany pup. In the time we have had him we have had troubles with toilet training him. It has taken a long time to get him to "tell" us he needs to go to go out. So it is great that when he is awake he is able to tell us he wants out however when he is asleep he occasionally wets the bed. It is not just a small overflow wee it is a full on bladder release.

He is desexed - we thought it may help eradicate the problem as one of his testicles didn't drop we thought it was the source of the issue. He has some either pelvis or hip issues (he has low tone in his back legs and sometimes sits lazy) He seemed to have some tummy trouble when we first got him. He had super runny poos that were frequent - barf food and protexin seems to have sorted this out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is could be? Or tell me if it is something that is normal?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had dogs "wet the bed" just like kids do. It's usually been when they're really tired if they've had a big day. Penny whippet did it a couple of times even as a young adult dog after she'd been to the whippet races. I think she was just exhausted. I hope there's nothing wrong with your puppy and he's just had a full on day and it too tired to wake up when his bladder is full.

I wish I could say it was a full on day but we only did a little bit of training and spent the rest of the day relaxing as it is horrible and rainy. There has been an occasion when he has wet the bed after puppy play group and I put that down to exhaustion but last night was just weird. The night before last he stood up and piddled the bed.

He hasn't been checked for a UTI as such. I think I'll be ringing a new vet tomorrow.

He has had a chiro come to see him and has had acupuncture etc but at the moment I can't afford to get her to come back as my eldest is undergoing screening for ASD (ASD screening seems to be a money making scheme for doctors if you ask me)

The night before last he stood up and piddled the bed.

He hasn't been checked for a UTI as such. I think I'll be ringing a new vet tomorrow.

Have you got any other animals ? cat or dog ?

He may just be marking his spot.

Of course check for UTI is the first step.

I would have thought the first thing your vet would do would have been to ask you to collect a urine specimen for analysis. What is happening is not normal. I'd be seeking a vet who is more interested in the health of your dog.

Well we have been to the vet tonight (a new vet) she was a wonderful kind woman would did a full assessment on my boy. Seems a though he has loose patella, possible hip dysplasia and she isn't sure about the tinkle problem.

SOOOOO.... on Thursday he has been booked in for an x-ray and a urinary analysis.

Well we have been to the vet tonight (a new vet) she was a wonderful kind woman would did a full assessment on my boy. Seems a though he has loose patella, possible hip dysplasia and she isn't sure about the tinkle problem.

SOOOOO.... on Thursday he has been booked in for an x-ray and a urinary analysis.

DO NOT get that patella operated on before your dog is 12 months old.

And I"d be after a second opinion on the HD as well.

I have been trying to work out how to email the breeder without sounds like I'm bitter or accusing?

I am well aware dogs can come with medical issues.... I just don't know how to word it