Cairn Terrier Grooming

Hi i'm investing in a show cairn terrier. I own springers so i have no clue how to groom one for a show. Does anyone have a link to a GOOD page for instructions or can anyone reply to my post with a clear step by step explanation? thanks xx hope you reply

I would have thought the breeder would be your first source for such advice

Hmmm I checked the Cairn Terrier club of Victoria and NSW and neither had a section for grooming. Maybe go through breeders websites and see if any have links to grooming videos etc? I would also see if you can find any dedicated forums where there is often lots of help on grooming.

I was two states away from my dogs breeder and found verbal help can only get you so far. If you're closer you would be much better off having them as the expert show and coach you.

Good luck!

Here is a website to start you off with the basics of terrier stripping, but it is not breed specific.

You may also consider asking exhibitors of similar coated breeds for a demo of how to strip so that you can see the wrist movements etc. There may be Cairn Terrier groups on facebook where people could point you to resources also.

• 2 months later...

Lots of hand stripping to roll the coat and shape. I showed one many years ago, can recall the basics, but I think they are shown/presented quite differently these days. I can recall having an experienced cairn groomer fully stripping the coat when changing from pup to adult to develop the coarseness. If your breeder is unable to help, give the club a call. There were a lot of ladies who were keen to help and advise.

• 4 weeks later...