Pro Heart Injection Vs Tablets

Willowlane

So who uses Pro Heart and Why?

Who uses tablets and why

Would you use Pro Heart if it was more cost effective?

Old Question: At what age are the allowed their first Pro Heart injection?

Edited by Willowlane

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this the first year I had my puppy, I guess she would have been about 16 weeks.

But I didn't renew it the next year because it just seemed horribly expensive...

The first injection was "free", but the booster injection (couple of weeks later) was $80 (5 years ago)... and the following year - the injection was round the $80 - $100 mark. And it doesn't cover fleas or gut worms but some of the other products do ie - for me it worked out to buy 6 month packs of Revolution that came with a wormer and this year I'm using senteniel - one chew covers fleas, heart worm and gut worms. So far so good.

The other thing to watch out for is vets like to give the heart worm injection - with the vaccinations but the actual product says not to do that - ie a bit too much to dump on the immune system at once.

And theoretically - before starting any heart worm treatment - a puppy or dog should be tested to make sure it doesn't have it - or there can be complications that can kill a dog that could be prevented by a different treatment or something. I imagine something like dying worms in the heart cause heart attacks or something. But I don't know why exactly.

Would be good to know if anyone likes the heart worm injections and have used them more than that free promo year (and if you do decide to go that way - definitely ask about the cost and see if you can get a discount (free) first injection.

Would never use it on any of ours, that is a lot to put into their system in one hit and too many horror stories. One of our older dogs had a very bad reaction to it (she is 2.5kg). It contains ivermectin so definitely something we avoid with the border collies.

We use interceptor every 3 months. Can be bought pretty cheap online.

nope,we tell our puppy owners not to & its at there own risk & certainly wouldn't give it to a puppy .

It also costs big dollars .

We no longer heartworm treat as the risk is small compared to the chemicals but i appreciate some areas you can't risk it,when we did heartworm we did daily & still would do daily although we did do liquid for a number of years .

The heartguard chew is a good one to start with as it can safely be given to dogs and pups of an unknown heartworm histroy (ie. you dont need to test prior to starting.)

Then once the pack is done you would be able to use whichever one suits you best.

Would never use it on any of ours, that is a lot to put into their system in one hit and too many horror stories. One of our older dogs had a very bad reaction to it (she is 2.5kg). It contains ivermectin so definitely something we avoid with the border collies.

We use interceptor every 3 months. Can be bought pretty cheap online.

Same here.

I use Interceptor.

At Ernies last checkup, the vet asked if I hearworm treat and when I said yes - told me that I didn't need the heartworm vax then.

He said Interceptor was excellent for heartworm.

Edited by Stressmagnet

I use the tablets, they are just plain heartworm only tablets and aren't ivermectin based (collie breed here), but I believe they have been discontinued now, so am actually on the look out for an alternative.

I wouldn't use the injection in my dogs breed without having him MDR1 tested first at least. Possibly not anyway because of the above reasons.

Edited by LisaCC

When it hit the market I was getting a lot of enquiries from clients about it, so I asked my vet, who's opinion I trust, and they said straight out 'I wouldn't put it in my dog' and that was enough for me not to use it. I do not treat my dogs for heartworm. I never have. For me the risk of contracting it in a low incidence area outweighs the chemicals into the dog.

I tell my clients to ask their own veterinarians for advice.

would never use the injection. I give my dogs valuheart tablets every 6 weeks. Only does heartworm. Other stuff is given on an as need basis and never on the same day ( or week ).

x2

Cost has absolutely nothing to do with the decision

I use the Interceptor chewables. I don't like the idea of the injection, my dogs are only vaccinated every 3 years as it is (after the initial 12 month booster)

We do have Heartworm in this area so it's not something I really want to risk.

The other thing to watch out for is vets like to give the heart worm injection - with the vaccinations but the actual product says not to do that - ie a bit too much to dump on the immune system at once.

Would be good to know if anyone likes the heart worm injections and have used them more than that free promo year (and if you do decide to go that way - definitely ask about the cost and see if you can get a discount (free) first injection.

This is really scary! My dogs have always had the annual injection administered with their other shots and my vet has never said a thing about it being potentially risky.

I do like the shots because I am absent-minded and heart-worm is a big risk in my area. I know people say they put the dates in their diary/set alarms on their phones etc, but things come up, I am busy and easily distracted and it's quite possible I'd forget to buy the meds so they are on hand when I needed them...and I don't want to take the risk.