Loner Dog - Why

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

Does anyone have a dog like this or can anyone explain this.

Bonnie is dog who likes to hang out with me wherever I am, she will follow me from room to room and always be where I am.

Lucy on the other hand goes out of her way to be in another room. If I'm in the lounge she's in my room, if I'm in my room she's in the lounge. She's such a weirdo she likes to be a loner. She particularly likes hiding in my wardrobe. I've set a crate up and covered it in the lounge but she has no interest prefers the wardrobe.

Is this normal dog behavior? She's just turned 4 and has always been independent and a bit of a loner

That's interesting Don. Did she do the same before you got Bon? Does she actively get up and move if you come into a room or does she just always seem to end up somewhere else?

I wondering if it's actively wanting to be on her own or whether she has a routine of where she goes when regardless of what you are doing.

Lili will hide under the bed sometimes although she's normally a velcro dog.

Mosley is more likely to be in a room on his own.

I wouldn't really worry unless she's showing other behaviours you are concerned about or actively avoiding you all the time.

Guest donatella

I can't remember because I got Bon when she was 1 so she was barely a pup herself.

She doesn't move just because I come in the room but she always ends up in another room, like, Urgh god the riff raff is here now I have to move :laugh:

I'm thinking she just prefers the quiet but it's bizarre as I would have thought dogs would like to be with their human at all times

Guest donatella

I've only really thought about it in depth but she's been doing it for as long as I can remember, going off to chill in another room

Guest donatella

Two of mine are often in other rooms. They hang out with us occasionally but mostly they're off doing their own thing. They're spitz's so being independent is fairly normal.

Ok great thanks this is good to know she's a definite spitz then!

If my dog was going to another room, you can bet anything that she's either stashing a bone somewhere inappropriate, or shredding something that does not need to be shredded :laugh:

She sounds like she's pretty chill with life.

Over the years I have had a few dogs that "wanted to be alone". Nothing wrong with them and they were good workers, just liked their own company in their free time. Just the same as some dogs like to play and be part of the pack whereas others do not play at all even with their own offspring.

Guest donatella

She will come out and have a cuddle/play when it suits and then retreat again, crazy dog!

Dozer is a pretty chilled dog and will happily just sleep on my bed during the day, but if any of the housemates or my partner (all boys) are home he likes to chill with them rather than me most of the time.

He's definitely a boys dog.

Guest donatella

Yeah they weren't and that's a possibility too. The issues are mostly controlled and they haven't had a bitch fight in a while but they won't ever be besties but still play at least once a day when it suits

One of my Border collies was like that her whole life. She loved to work with me (obedience/agility/tracking, she did gorgeous heelwork for example, and was a happy dog on walks but at home she preferred her own company. She liked to be in her outside kennel mostly. I remember once I was out gardening in the summer and left the back door open. My company was the 3 younger dogs and the cat. No Maddie to be seen. When it got a bit hot me and my entourage went inside, Maddie went past us on our way in and went and lay under a tree. It was hard not to feel rejected! Every puppy since her I have been sure to check with the breeder that the puppy is cuddly and people orientated. She was very aloof even as a baby puppy. I think some dogs are just like that.

I picked my breed on the basis of them being Velcro dogs, think I would be devastated if she wasn't as I can only have the one dog at the moment. At least you have Bon to share the love lol.

I have one of each! Our tibbie boy has always been aloof and Mr Independent. He'll ask for attention every now and again but is otherwise content to strike off on his own. He will work with me in obedience class and will look to me for direction but at home, he's his own man! No need to worry about separation anxiety with this one! Our female tibbie is incredibly affectionate and is my shadow. I get my fill of cuddles from this one. I have to admit, it's much easier to bond with her as she's just so much more affectionate.