Breeder Refusing To Give Refund

v-petn

I disagree. The OP bought two pups and had them for 24 hours or so. The pups were ill, they were returned and the refund was given. End of transaction.

The purchase of one male pup a couple of weeks later is an entirely different transaction, even if it was one of the two pups involved in the earlier transaction. Since paying for that pup, they have not received it, despite the breeder urging them to take it because the rest of the litter was ill. They have had veterinary advice NOT to collect the pup, and given that they have a child with a compromised immune system and the breeder advising them the litter is ill with a zoonotic condition I certainly don't blame them.

The breeder telling them that they will be refunded if the pup dies is a crock. From a Fair Trading point of view, the goods (a) are faulty and (b) are still in the possession of the supplier. A refund is due. Being told to wait until the pup dies or gets offloaded into someone else is not acceptable.

Edited by RuralPug

Just wanted to add my sympathies. Rural Pug seems to have hit the nail on the head.

What a shocking time you and your family have been through.

But those poor little puppies. :cry: :cry: :cry: I hope the breeder's vet is strong enough and has influence enough to tell them not to breed again until they have the proper and safe conditions to do so.

I disagree. The OP bought two pups and had them for 24 hours or so. The pups were ill, they were returned and the refund was given. End of transaction.

The purchase of one male pup a couple of weeks later is an entirely different transaction, even if it was one of the two pups involved in the earlier transaction. Since paying for that pup, they have not received it, despite the breeder urging them to take it because the rest of the litter was ill. They have had veterinary advice NOT to collect the pup, and given that they have a child with a compromised immune system and the breeder advising them the litter is ill with a zoonotic condition I certainly don't blame them.

The breeder telling them that they will be refunded if the pup dies is a crock. From a Fair Trading point of view, the goods (a) are faulty and (b) are still in the possession of the supplier. A refund is due. Being told to wait until the pup dies or gets offloaded into someone else is not acceptable.

Yep - agreed

My point is more the expectation of an instant refund from someone who is blatantly not up to par. The dog was refunded and sick... so why purchase it again.

My point is more the expectation of an instant refund from someone who is blatantly not up to par. The dog was refunded and sick... so why purchase it again.

I agree that it was not a wise decision on their part to hand over more money in the circumstances, but the breeder still has obligations to deal fairly.

• 2 weeks later...

before you buy again, one is best , ( i see you bought one of each sex, hope it wasnt to breed from).

check next time you buy from a reputable breeder who health checks, better to buy one healthy pup.

It's very hard not to have an emotional attachment as soon as you agree to take a pup. Because a pup is 'sick' doesn't mean many would give up on it straight away, that's hard to do despite being the best option, especially in a more severe case like this.

A refund is definitely due, even if one was given before. It may be a costly situation for the breeder but that's a risk they take by choosing to bring living animals into the world - duty of care.

So the breeder provided you for a refund once, has paid all treatments and now you're asking for a second time for a refund? I think to wait until the pup is sold is not unreasonable. Sounds like their pockets are being bled dry and you have contact with the treating veterinarian is that correct?

Lepto is spread mainly from urine, it's a bacteria not a virus. Rodents in particular are good at spreading it. Lepto tests are expensive, if you want to check if your pup is infected you need to check urine and blood samples to give you a yes or no.

You purchased a sick dog, you got a refund, repurchased and now want another refund despite the fact you had doubts as to the hygiene and health status?

Not how I read it. Bought 2 dogs. One died and got a refund for that. Second dog is sick. Breeder refusing to refund for that one. OP doesn't have any pup.

The second puppy wasn't sick yet either from my understanding of the matter. The breeder wanted to wait and see if the puppy got sick before refunding.

By not sick I mean not dying/really sick.

Edited by JulesP