Justice All Hyped Up (Aka Hype)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh what an awesome pup! Very interesting temperament too.

I'm looking at joining one of the Bathurst clubs starting next month so perhaps I'll be able to see one of the other ones around smile.gif

Wow thanks so much for introducing us to Hype - I can't get over how much he resembles (both physically and in behaviour) a Schnauzer puppy (Standard) and wonder if there is common ancestry there?smile.gif

Wow thanks so much for introducing us to Hype - I can't get over how much he resembles (both physically and in behaviour) a Schnauzer puppy (Standard) and wonder if there is common ancestry there?smile.gif

Not sure if there is or not. The Pyrenean Shepherd was almost extinct at one point, until someone discovered them in a small country village in France and decided to breed them back. So, they are still very inbred (which I find hard coming from BCs where you ideally want COIs less than 1% :laugh: ). I suspect there is very similar heritage to Briards and other French working breeds (and very similar in appearance too). They are also very similar to the Hungarian Puli in many ways and left alone their coat will cord (mostly back end and front legs, not the whole dog). Otherwise they actually mature to look like terrier mixes :laugh: Not too sure about how the heritage interlocks with other breeds though as there is just not enough information about their history in that regard. They are a forgotten little treasure :)

I'm anal about sharing photos that are not mine or Tailwags, but a quick google search will show the variations in coat type and colours. Some are corded, some are not. There is also a smooth faced variety that tends to be a little larger but the 2 are permitted to interbreed so you get variance there too. Sometimes smooths will pop up in rough litters etc.

In France, showing is a very casual affair. You would be expected to show them in jeans, their coats would be corded (but not in a nice, neat manner) and bathing before a show is very much discouraged. Throughout the rest of Europe they are more like they will be here and in NZ, not necessarily corded but left to look as scruffy as possible and probably bathed but not necessarily. In the US you will find people with brushes in the ring making sure every hair is straight. So a huge difference in showing styles across the world, but I guess it depends on what judges expect to see.

Hype is the curliest of his litter. The 2 fawn pups have very straight, coarse looking coats while the other 3 blacks have a similar coat to Hype but not as much sticking out around the face. At one point the breeder was questioning whether a few would be considered demi-coats (essentially what you would get if you crossed smooth faced to rough) but that probably won't be known until their adult coats come through.

Well, Hype turned 4 months old today. Time is really flying! We celebrated with a trip to the beach :)

Before shot, when he was still a fluffball

3%20July%20a_zpskahahvki.jpg

After adding water- the hairy stick himself :laugh:

3%20July_zpshdnswytv.jpg

And simply being his normal, goofball self :laugh:

3%20July%20b_zpsxslcgofy.jpg

And a video to show why you should never let the Pyr Shep steal the ball :)

I really need to get the proper camera back out and stop relying on my phone!!!

Glad to see your computer up and running :)

They are definitely an interesting breed and I will have fun following Hype's progress I am sure!

Naturally being a Pyrenees breed I am drawn to them, and many Pyr breeders/owners the world over also have the little Berger as well.

Definitely not the breed for everyone as you say!

The corded ones I have seen only have a few cords on their back rather than the whole coat.

I have quite a few photos of them from the Pyrenean Breeds Nationale d'Elevage in France (show held annually in Argeles-Gazost) so will have to dig them out.

The breed club in France for the breed is http://www.chiens-des-pyrenees.com/

A well known breeder in the US that has both breeds (though mostly the Pyr Shep these days - their Sunny Bear is the First Pyr Shep to win an AKC Best in Show): https://www.facebook...enean.Shepherds

Edited by espinay2