Home Alone Overnight

Ashling

What do you think of leaving your dogs home alone overnight every once in a while? Would you do it or would you decide to get someone to look after them instead or put them in boarding kennels for the night?

I was thinking my dog might have to stay alone overnight sometimes now that we've moved and when I need to go back to visit people etc. I don't really trust anyone I know to look after him since I worry about gates left opened and everything else you can think of.

If he has an indoor toilet set up and food and water, do you think it would work or is it wrong? He isn't crate trained but I was thinking of doing that so I can take him with me whenever I can but sometimes that might not be possible.

What would you do?

Thanks.

No issues with it at all.

You can always find a pet sitter to come around morning or night.

My girl was home alone last night and probably again tonight and was OK

I also used to work 4 jobs and one was night shift, so they had no choice

He's only spent one night away from me and I had a family member housesit but that won't be possible now and everyone else I just wouldn't quite trust since they're not used to dogs. I'm not sure what I think of a pet sitter but I have just found a boarding kennel that offers doggy day care with an overnight stay, along with boarding for longer stays that I might consider.

I do think he'd be fine home alone overnight and some of the day as long as he has access to a toilet, I wouldn't be comfortable with letting him have access to outside without me.

Guest donatella

I don't do it. I had to travel interstate last night so mum went over to stay with them overnight and I'll be home in a few hours.

The only time I did it was years ago working nights but I left at 10pm and was home by 7.30am and they slept with me all day so they still had human company 15 hours. I still hated it and now will always organise a sitter

These are my plans since I trust her with few people and she doesnt trust strangers. I don't have the option of having random family members over, she can't stay in a random house, she can't stay with other dogs, most of my friends are NOT dog savvy or lack appropriate transport. The added stress of I need to be there for a 24 hour overlap with new house sitters and I don't trust random ones and for a couple of hours transition with the house sitter I've used once before (can't just hand her the keys and let herself in, I have to be there)

One night = yeah sure she'll be fine. Feed her a big meal in the kong when I leave, several bowls of water and her indoor toilet. Have done before and got a very excited greeting when I got home lol.

More than two nights = find someone to house sit for me. She doesn't do well in new environments with new people :(

More than a week or house sitter isn't available = suck it up and board her with our one on one trainer. She doesn't like him cause he's a big bloke but he'll know how to keep her calm and secure and will work on what obedience he can.

Long and short of it, it is less stressful and safer for her to just be left alone at home for a single night rather than upset her with new people and new places.

Edited by Thistle the dog

Guest hankodie

We don't do it. We get my mum to come and stay with them if we're going to be away overnight or we just don't stay away. If it was an emergency then that may be different but I wouldn't do it if I had any other choice.

Yup, this

Depends on the dogs, I have 2 14 yr olds who had a stomach bug recently and I had to go away for work for 2 nights/3 days and had to cancel their accommodation. A friend came in twice a day to feed/medicate/check on them. They were fine and less stressed by being here.

That said, I've had to complain to a couple of different neighbours who also left their dogs alone all night and the dogs barked all night long .... I'm always happy to help, I just don't want to be awake all night because of a lonely dog.

I do it from time to time with Brembo. I'm sure he loves it because I always come home to his nest of pillows and blankets that he creates. If it's more than one night then he gets boarded but overnight I just feed him an hour or so before I leave and then he gets fed when I return.

I leave mine for up to 24 hrs, that's my limit. They are left outside, they are used to sleeping outside at night as that's where they sleep when I go to work (Nightshift) I had someone check them last time as I was gone for 36 hrs. Happens rarely but it has been twice this year and can't recall the time before that.

Would never do it unless it was an emergency and I had no other choice. In fact I have to fly away for a day trip soon and will be gone from about 5.30am until 7.30pm and I consider that too long to be left alone so will be getting the dog sitter in.

One of my dogs needs twice-daily medication so leaving them alone for that long would never be an option for me. What we have done in the past is have a trusted family member come and feed/check on them twice a day. I still worry about them but they're greyhounds so probably spend the whole time sleeping anyway.

I've done it in the past when I only had Delta and Charlie, they had full access to the house and yard and were perfectly fine. I wouldn't be able to do it anymore due to pack dynamics, an unsecure yard and a dog that requires medication at 7 different times each day. I don't actually have an issue with doing it though and in your situation woudn't hesitate if I knew my dog was not going to stress at being left alone.

I would if it was just overnight, if I left in the evening and returned for the morning. They'd be happy enough just sleeping. But any other length of time I have a few people who also have cavs that take them for the day/night or just walk them to break up their day a bit.

I would only do it if you left late and got home early the next morning, even then I would go for a big walk a little while before leaving and have the TV left on, only if your dog is comfortable home alone.

My own dogs I would not leave alone that long because they are used to me being here 24/7 and have set routines which keeps good pack order, I hate even leaving them if we have to go out for the day luckily that's not often.

I've done it a couple of times. I've had a friend come and feed them twice a day but they were left overnight for 2 nights I think. I had no choice at the time. Previously I left them in a kennel and they were extremely stressed and smelly when I got them back. When I left them at home alone they were just very happy to see me. Nothing was trashed, I suspect they slept most of the time as they still had access to my bed. It would probably depend on the individual dog how well they handled it. I dont think I'd do it with Neko, the Italian Greyhound.