Bokashi Compost System

Mumsie

Has anyone used the Bokashi Compost System?

I am wondering if you have used the system if your dogs have tried to dig up the compost or roll in the compost after it has been dug into the garden bed?

The system is good but expensive and i don't want to use it once and then find that we can't use it again

http://www.bokashi.com.au/

thank you

I have a little plastic bin in the kitchen cupboard by the oven into which go all the scraps. I take it down to the compost heap every two or three days depending on how quickly it gets filled. It never smells, it never attacks flies or other insects. The compost heap is down the backyard in the corner. The dogs never roll or scrabble in it. The possums do though and that makes me happy.

I have never understood the difficulties people have with compost heaps or keeping a little scrap bin in the kitchen. I don't use any of the "aids".

I have one, too much hard work. Now I just do the scraps bin and tip those into a lidded compost bin outside. The turkeys spend a lot of time around it so it must be good for worms. I Bought it thinking it was a wonder thing but really it's just an expensive extra step in compost that didn't seem any different to non-bokashi compost in the end.

Don't put any animal products (including diary but eggshells are ok) into the compost heap. Add some newspaper. Add some grass clippings but don't add tons of everything at once. Air still needs to circulate. I also add a little bit of soil from the garden to assist composition as it is getting closer to being ready to use. I've never had a problem with odour or flies or wrigglies outside of the bin using this approach. I also haven't needed to buy or add anything extra to get amazing compost. An elderly person told me about making sure no animal products went in and not compacting it all too much and my compost has thanked me for it ever since!

I have one which I used when I couldn't have a compost bin. Worked well & plants thrived with the juice.

Now I have space for bins, I only find it useful for "precomposting" dairy/animal scraps that don't go to dogs.

Be warned, my lot love to dig up the fermented end product unless it's six foot down. (Can get round that by adding it to compost bin.)

Makes me wonder why bother, apart from the fact I have it & the juice is useful. Agree with Hankdog, it's an extra step. I'd think twice before buying, especially if your council is going to go to the new green organic 3-bin system.

my dog will eat compost I put on the garden unless I explain to her carefully not to touch it. But she also likes to dig up the neighbour's cat poo. She doesn't realise that chasing the cat out of the yard reduces the quantity of yummy cat poo available and I don't tell her.

She will also try to eat/drink the water out of my "silage bins" eg fill a plastic garbage bin half full of water and drown weeds in there, after 3 months or so - the water is very good root tonic for plants. Unfortunately the dog thinks it's really good soup too. So it only goes on the plants out the front where she can't get at it.

I've got plastic compost bins like these (they weren't called tumble weed when I got them).

http://www.bunnings.com.au/tumbleweed-400l-compost-bin_p3160061

I dig the base in and put bricks on it to stop evil hound - which works. I've got one being loaded and the other "Brewing"... And I do what little gifts says - bit of vegie scraps, bit of lawn clippings, bit of dirt, bit of shredded paper (who is going to put your personal info back together after it's been through a worm). Layer it up. There are lots of shafers, cockroaches, vinegar flies, worms, and occasionally mice (they get trapped and removed). I figure it's all part of the process. It's not particularily smelly with the lid on, it's down the back. But I really can't smell it and I'm the one my family gets to check the wine is ok.

I used to just make my own bokashi bran and had a home made bokashi bucket [lots of DIY info on the net in regards to this]. No need to spend megabucks on the 'official' system. Also had a normal compost system. But the bokashi stuff I used to bury where the dogs couldn't go [just in case].

Now I don't use either with the introduction of the green waste system here, where everything organic can go into it, including pet waste. I guess it made me somewhat lazy in regards to composting and the like.

We have pulled out an old big recycle bin, i guess it didn't really work well the first time we used it because it was too compacted with grass clippings. Time will tell if the dogs enjoy digging it up once it is in the garden. thank you for all the replies, they have been really helpful