What To Chew ?

Purdie

Not a problem but want to ask what things can a pup have to chew on.?

Daughter has a 15 week old GS Pointer x Staffordshire;she has given her pigs ears but Vet said no bones so what things can she have to chew on for her teeth.

Also any toys you can recommend and i will pass on the info.Many thanks..

Why cant she have bones :confused:

That's what i thought too.It has been a long time since i had a young pup but I'm sure mine chomped on bones from a young age.

Vet said they can get splinters of bone stuck in their stomach .Maybe he meant not to give cooked bones which she already new.

My ESS is a similar age...frozen chicken frames, big lamb bones, whole raw carrots, old marrow bones, deer antlers, veggie pig ears (lower in fat), dried beef tendon and the occasional kitchen drawer handle :laugh:

:) Ok will pass on the list;thanks.

Some vets advise against bones. I think it's ridiculous personally and the benefits outweigh the very small risks. Our vet complimented my girls teeth and gums last week and said he could tell she gets meaty bones.

As long as they are meaty bones and are raw, pup should be fine. We give chicken frames, turkey legs, lamb necks and things like pig trotters. We freeze ours sometimes too which means they can't gulp them :)

Honestly some vets have no clue when it comes to canine nutrition. All our pups get bones from 4 weeks old. We have NEVER had a single issue. No that doesn't mean that a choking incident is beyond the realms of possibility, but if you are watching them whilst they have their bones you can intervene if required. I've never needed to.

Tell your daughter to get the pup into bones, but just avoid large weight bearing bones which are too hard, and generally contain loads of fatty marrow. Look to lamb flaps, chicken wings, turkey necks, lamb shanks, roo tail, salmon heads and occasional chicken carcass is cool but is a lot of bone content so just be careful with balance. You'll hear people advising that bones should be larger than the dogs head and whatnot, another piece of advise I routinely ignore!

One other thing we do for teething pups is get a rope toy, soak in bone broth then freeze. Also, I'd be looking for a different vet if I was her...

I give mine cow hoof... I take it away when it starts to get small tho - I don't want her to swallow the last bit...

And black kongs with kibble or meat frozen inside. You can mix the kibble with water or yogurt so it sticks in when frozen.

Sometimes I give her old socks but I supervise - cos I don't want her swallowing the bits or nicking socks out of the wash basket.

I also sometimes give her sticks - usually green ones that shred not splinter, with no eye poking sticky out bits. For some reason we're good with sticks but we make horrible spikes out of bones so she doesn't get those.

She is ok with frozen turkey neck. But they're extremely messy - she doesn't eat them fast enough not to be sharing with ants outside, and it's too messy inside.

Frozen chicken wings might be ok, but she doesn't break up the thawed ones, she just kind of crumples them in their skin and swallows that whole and then up chucks it whole but ugly - later. So I don't give her those either.