Best Pet Insurance

Ci

What's the best pet insurance that people have found?

I am thinking about getting the cats insurance but I need one that covers dental and I can't seem to find one.

The dogs are too old.

One cat will be 8 soon and I am not if they still have a age limit to register or not but I need to get on to it.

Have heard a lot of stories from people about how hard it is to actually get money back too.

We are with Medibank and they have been absolutely fantastic. Kyojin has needed a few different surgeries and other issues here and there. Refunds have always exceeded our expectations and the turnaround is very quick.

Guest donatella

I think they're all pretty useless and make you jump through hoops god help if you don't have your dogs full history they will try claim 'pre existing'.

Thankfully mine paid for accident $7000 worth but illness isn't worth all the bullshit they try pull

I think petplan still offer the best cover, but they're also the most expensive. I've claimed this year with no trouble - I was a bit worried last year when they were changing everything around and seemed completely confused and incompetent, but I'm very happy with the cover and service in recent history.

I'm not convinced by pet insurance to be honest. If I was you, I'd work out what you're prepared to pay for pet insurance per month or whatever, and then put that money in a high yield savings account. Chances are you'll end up in front and keep your money for yourself!

I think they're all pretty useless and make you jump through hoops god help if you don't have your dogs full history they will try claim 'pre existing'.

Thankfully mine paid for accident $7000 worth but illness isn't worth all the bullshit they try pull

I didn't have my dogs first three years vet history and it made no difference. Claim was successful. No questions asked and very simple . It was a cancer claim though.

Edited by RL1

Keep hearing such different opinions about the whole thing.

Have been looking around and it's really hard to decide. The main thing I will need is Dental for the cats. That's the main reason for it. Cause dental is expensive.

Bow Wow seems to come up alot so will look at them again.

I even looked at RSPCA as they seem to give back a high rate. But no one here has mentioned them.

Edited by Ci

Have been looking around and it's really hard to decide. The main thing I will need is Dental for the cats and can't seem to find out that covers dental.

I suspect petplan does. It's also the only one underwritten by a different company (Allianz) - all the other insurers are underwritten by Hollards, which means their policies usually cover the same things when you get down to the details.

ETA Are you talking routine dental? I'm not sure anyone would cover that... But I know petplan will cover emergency dental for dogs - my boy broke a few puppy teeth and it was all covered.

Edited by aliwake

Guest donatella

I didn't have my dogs first three years vet history and it made no difference. Claim was successful. No questions asked and very simple . It was a cancer claim though.

I think mine would be good with cancer and anything big but trying to claim for HCG was more effort then it was worth. They were happy to pay out a $7000 claim but a $450 one they tried to argue pre existing :banghead:

I actually think mine would be fine with cancer, I really only keep it now for the big issues

I did a bit of research on this a few months ago for my pup. Pet plan give you the best cover but you pay for it. I found bowwowmeow the best value for money and they were really good when I contacted them asking questions. Thankfully I haven't had to claim anything but from the reviews I've read, they seem pretty good. Good luck :)

I'm not convinced by pet insurance to be honest. If I was you, I'd work out what you're prepared to pay for pet insurance per month or whatever, and then put that money in a high yield savings account. Chances are you'll end up in front and keep your money for yourself!

I was always of this belief and any time anybody asked this was my response. Then our last litter was about 6 weeks old and I decided to sign them up for the 6-week free breeder insurance through petplan (after all, it was free). Something possessed me (no idea what) to continue the insurance for the 2 pups we kept. They have just turned 2 and both are hypothyroid and are on meds and blood testing for life. In addition to that, Shock suffers from really bad seizures and has already cost me about $8k (over a 12month period) and will continue to cost me a similar amount each year for the rest of her life.

There is absolutely no way I would ever have been able to save that amount of money before she got sick (about 15months) and I will never be able to put that amount away each year for her. We have since insured a number of our dogs as a precaution. Putting money aside is only good if the dog waits until it is old before it gets sick. Those that get sick in the first few years will cost more than you can put away. Interest rates on savings accounts are pretty low these days too, and hardly pay off :(

I had a pretty rocky start with petplan and was ready to walk away but they have pulled their finger out and are really easy to deal with now. I get my claims paid in full within a week of posting them off and they have paid for everything, no questions asked. I would highly recommend them :)

For pets that are older, there is a company that will offer full insurance on them. My laptop is playing up and wont let me post the link, but it is called PetMed. They will cover dogs of any age with no upper limit.

I was always of this belief and any time anybody asked this was my response. Then our last litter was about 6 weeks old and I decided to sign them up for the 6-week free breeder insurance through petplan (after all, it was free). Something possessed me (no idea what) to continue the insurance for the 2 pups we kept. They have just turned 2 and both are hypothyroid and are on meds and blood testing for life. In addition to that, Shock suffers from really bad seizures and has already cost me about $8k (over a 12month period) and will continue to cost me a similar amount each year for the rest of her life.

There is absolutely no way I would ever have been able to save that amount of money before she got sick (about 15months) and I will never be able to put that amount away each year for her. We have since insured a number of our dogs as a precaution. Putting money aside is only good if the dog waits until it is old before it gets sick. Those that get sick in the first few years will cost more than you can put away. Interest rates on savings accounts are pretty low these days too, and hardly pay off :(

I had a pretty rocky start with petplan and was ready to walk away but they have pulled their finger out and are really easy to deal with now. I get my claims paid in full within a week of posting them off and they have paid for everything, no questions asked. I would highly recommend them :)

For pets that are older, there is a company that will offer full insurance on them. My laptop is playing up and wont let me post the link, but it is called PetMed. They will cover dogs of any age with no upper limit.

Yep fair enough. I guess it depends on your underlying financial position.

Our two 10 year olds have no insurance, but one cost us upwards of 15 grand for two rear leg cruciate.

So when we got Lucky-Dog ( 3.5 years ) he had insurance straight away. " She who must be obeyed " did the research and chose RSPCA, her final words are they are there for the animals and money goes to a good source. I don't argue with her !!! :) :) :laugh:

Anyway they have come good on approx. 80 % of all claims. It has been money well spent. :)

Stuff the pet insurance - what is this "high yield savings account" you speak of. I think my best savings account interest is down to 3% at the moment.

BTW I'm with Pet Insurance Australia - cos it's cheaper than medibank even with a 25% discount and medibank won't match even tho I've been a long time human health insurance with them.

I just saw the Bupa now does Pet Insurance as well (And Dental) and we are with them for the humans. I might investigate and see what coverage I can get as an existing member.

But Otherwise Bow Wow looks good and doesn't seem to have an age limit. It just says it doesn't cover any existing illnesses which none of my cats have anyway. They are all healthy.