Laparoscopic Spay

Jumabaar

Today I had the opportunity to scrub in and participate in a Laparoscopic Spay (Key-hole surgery) at Vetmed Randwick. This was to desex Fable my 5yr old Finnish Lapphund.

I wanted to share my experience as I have worked in a LOT of different clinics and have seen a spectrum of veterinary practice and I believe that this is a great procedure.

The team at Vetmed were more than happy to cope with overprotective Vet mum who has a tendency to hover. Its easy to deal with overprotective mums when you are providing the outstanding level of care that they give to all their clients. When offered the opportunity to scrub in I was a little nervous, it has been quite a while since I have done any surgery. I am usually out in the recovery area getting dogs up and walking and starting their rehab as they come out of anaesthesia :laugh:

Having had a number of girls traditionally spayed in the past and struggling to keep them (Kelpies) quiet and worrying about adhesions and loss of core strength AND one managing to impale herself 2yrs after her spey and give herself a hernia, I was ready for a new experience. I was lucky enough to meet up with Andrew at the Dog Lovers Show last year and found out that they offer Keyhole surgery!!

I had seen a number of keyhole spay's while in Finland and had been impressed with the dog's recovery and reduced impact on core strength.

So that is how I ended up having the procedure done with my own fluffy furball.

6hrs post op she is groggy and a little sorry for herself but she has a 1cm and 1.5cm incision in her midline so she can potter around quietly for the next few days, instead of the super strict crate rest previous dogs have had to suffer.

I have even been able to start some super basic proprioception (knowing where your body is in space/spatial awareness) exercises and asking her to activate her abdominal muscles very briefly with good results.

I will update this in a few days time to share how I think she has recovered physically but so far I am super pleased.

**I am not a vetmed employee- just a super happy customer who wanted to let others know of a great service.

Edited by Jumabaar

Hugh Bain at Bateau Bay Vet Clinic does keyhole spaying, we took all our foster greys to him my own Maddie included. It was brilliant how quickly they recovered and when I took Maddie to my own vet a week later for something unrelated they were amazed at the tiny incision.