Dachshund's

Simple

I looked in Breed sub folder but says its inactive and to start a new one but don't want to start one in there as I don't own one lol After having Bull Terriers for so many years hubby has hinted he would like his dream dog a Dachshund before we go and get another bully in some time. However I'm finding it hard to look into. Been on the breed page of Dogzonline. Google I get a lot of rescue places. Health issue that pops up the most is a back condition.

Feel free to jump in if you have one.

Hi Simple, we have 3 mini smooth dachshunds. Is there anything in particular you'd like to know? do you know what type you're after (mini or standard and coat type)? if you let me know where you're located I might be able to pm you some breeder recommendations :-)

I had one who lived a week short of her 21st birthday. Her only health issue was a ripped out claw. She was a terrific dog, social with anything with a heartbeat. She was a real character and would have us in stitches with her antics. She was a mini smooth. I will be looking for another when my current 11 week old puppy is older. Abbey was the best little dog.

All sizes vary in nature.

I owned a Std Smooth but handled all sizes for well over 20 yrs in the ring,did obedience & agility demos with the Dachshund Club & visited nursing homes .

Back issues are a risk but keeping the dog fit & good weight goes a long way .

Parents should be PRA tested .Epilepsy has been an issue in Std Longs .

The Std Longs have the most easy going nature as there more like Gundogs (they where created by crossing with the Field Spaniel ) Std Smooths tend to be more a one person dog & devoted to that human .

The Wires should be the clowns of the Dachie world .

Great dogs ,can be barkers as that is a requirement of there job but shouldn't be an excuse to just bark.

As to spinal issue i now of more issues with the Minis

thanks guys I'm just in the process of research links are great help! Thank you

Hubby has said he would like a standard in the black with tan points. Hasn't said about coat length smooth or long. I'm assuming smooth. It's daunting to change breed.

So after a couple of days it's confirmed we want a standard smooth. I will start contacting breeders in WA first however if they aren't breeding any for some time I will look over East that's no drama. I've only ever brought dogs via dogs online breeders. Can only see 3 for WA does that mean their the only ones registered? One is knocked off being wired haired coats. Leaves 2 to stalk :)

Time to try stalk some clubs n see if any shows when I get to Perth to go meet some in person. Exciting.

The Dachshund club of WA have there Champ show next Saturday 12 sept at the Dogswest Grounds from 10 am ,the next day is the Hound Club show .

Go down & see the dogs ,if you buy east do your homework ,temp in the Std Smooths is very important & no there aren't many breeders in WA