You Care More About Your Dogs Than.......

Dory the Doted One

Are you a Dog Sad?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer your dogs company to that of anyone else?

2. 2. Have you been accused of caring for your pets more than you do for anything or anyone else?

3. 3. Do you ever worry that you rate your pets too highly on a priority scale?

People have known I love all creatures great and small for quite some time. They are part of my life but not my entire life so I always find a solution to meet their needs and my own. I've been lucky to have friends and family and workplaces who either share my love of animals or who make space for it so it has never been an issue.

Everyone cares about something or someone and prioritises it when it needs to be prioritised. I don't have kids either but the three furry living things that I share my house with are dependant on me in the same way children would be so why wouldn't they need to be my top priority every now and then, like when they are unwell? For the past couple of months our dogs have not been our top priority (elderly parent issues). They still get fed at the times they expect it and play and cuddle time is now at night, while outings have all but halted. They are ok because we are still spending that quality time with them at night (which is also re-energising for us). It doesn't need to be a contest.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get strange looks from the people at work when I am upset because something is wrong with Jonah or I Need to take a day off to look after him,but they have now learned to accept it. Also been told by various people that they would love to be reincarnated as one of my dogs. Haven't yet been told I care more for them than people but if I did my answer would be "your point is?"

Did get very strange looks when they found out that a bag of Canidae is $130 to my door and comments about how I spoil my dogs.

Personally I don't give a hoot, I have a bond that I have never had with any other living being and they come 1st. I also don't go out without them for long periods. But my kids are grown up and I am single so it's not a problem and anybody trying to get into the mix would have to understand that.

Always been a dog person, husband is same. We don't have kids, just dogs. These are our kids. Anyone who doesnt like it can deal with it however they like. It's our lives, we are not hurting anyone else, our dogs are a huge focus, but we also go out and live our lives too, but always wan't to hang out with our besties.

Same :thumbsup:

Pretty much my entire life (including business) evolves around the dogs. I like it this way and I don't think it is a problem.

The only time I go out is to exercise, train, trial or show our dogs. I wouldn't have it any other way. And the older I get, the more set in this lifestyle I am becoming :laugh:

First question is confusing. I prefer my dogs company to others but that doesn't mean that we are attached 24/7 or anytging

Yes, needed more options. :laugh: :laugh:

Gawd, maybe I do have a problem. Maybe I really am just too basic, and nuance just completely escapes me. :laugh:

:laugh: I went back to read the question again. I actually answered “no”, but looking at it again, I would say that I prefer the company of my dogs to the vast majority of the population. There are times when I would prefer to be with my dogs before anyone and there are times that I would like to have the company of people. :laugh:

My dog is a huge priority in my life and anyone who criticises that isn't likely to last long as a friend :laugh:

I own this shirt

5babadccbf82529f933ff2d458519b93.jpg

Yea, ok so you can't post that and not say where I can get one with an Aussie on it? laugh.gif

:laugh:

I made it through spreadshirt, this link should take you to what I did, just change your text and look for a picture of an Aussie, or remove the picture entirely ;)

Spreadshirt link

Edited by Jemmy

My dog is a huge priority in my life and anyone who criticises that isn't likely to last long as a friend :laugh:

I own this shirt

5babadccbf82529f933ff2d458519b93.jpg

Yea, ok so you can't post that and not say where I can get one with an Aussie on it? laugh.gif

:laugh:

I made it through spreadshirt, this link should take you to what I did, just change your text and look for a picture of an Aussie, or remove the picture entirely ;)

Spreadshirt link

Yoink, I need that and so do many friends ;p

I'm going to end up with the same shirt in different colours...I can see it now.

We were talking about getting a second dog...I'm like I have 2 German Shepherd owner shirts we're probably going to have to stick with GSD's :laugh:

I've often wondered where the line is between caring for your animal appropriately and being a crazy dog/cat lady.

Idiot Dog has his own actual wardrobe and while it might seem excessive to some, it gets a lot of use for about nine months of the year and makes total sense to me.

post-19844-0-97276400-1443569099_thumb.jpg

Pictured: Not crazy

Some of the stuff matches coloured muzzles or the Shitty Whippet's coats but the most important thing is that whatever goes in there, serves a purpose- like the difference between a summer rain sheet and a coat suitable for winter storms. There are also doubles of stuff he wears a lot, because it can be hard to get stuff dry in winter.

I'd guess a lot of people would think his wardrobe is all kinds of crazy but I care an appropriate amount about his comfort, with the occasional extravagance (one or two fancy martingales added a year) because I don't really spend my money anywhere besides the dogs and there are definitely worse ways to waste money/time, anyway- like developing a drug habit or taking up a gambling problem.

I'm happy putting a majority of my energy into the dogs, someone else might find that crazy but happily waste hours a day doing something like knitting. Whatever floats your boat, I guess :shrug:

I'd guess a lot of people would think his wardrobe is all kinds of crazy but I care an appropriate amount about his comfort, with the occasional extravagance (one or two fancy martingales added a year) because I don't really spend my money anywhere besides the dogs and there are definitely worse ways to waste money/time, anyway- like developing a drug habit or taking up a gambling problem.

My Mum used to (probably still does) say the same about the horses - she doesnt smoke, drink or gamble so whats the harm in spending it on the horses...

My Mum used to (probably still does) say the same about the horses - she doesnt smoke, drink or gamble so whats the harm in spending it on the horses...

I smoke, drink and don't mind a flutter and my two greyhounds have 22 coats between them :o

I have a serious problem but I have moved to Victoria and it's cold...that's how I justify it anyway :p

Edited by HazyWal