Max Temperature You Walk Your Dog In?

samoyedman

I guess it varies between short haired breeds and those of us with thick woolly mutts?

My rule used to be anything above 25 degrees = no walk.

Yesterday, in 32 degrees, my samoyed was nudging the gate and barking, busting to go for a walk! He'd never done that before.

Such perplexing animals. The older he gets the more energy he seems to have.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in Brisbane its almost always above 25 degrees laugh.gif

So we dont follow that rule.

Whatever the forecasted temp for that day, I just walk early mornings and/or evenings and nights, if it is still hot, as it often is in summer, i will walk somewhere with access to a creek, a river or the beach. And if necessary they wear cool coats smile.gif

I am lucky enough that if i wanted, i can walk out the back gate straight into a park where a lap can be done with no footpaths or bitumen - so nice on the paws!

ETA: Crazy hot weather, like 37 +, or lower but ridiculously humid, we just do inside training, but that doesn't happen often.

Edited by denali

Too hot for the greyhounds (and me) when it's nudging the 30 degree mark.

We haven't been anywhere in the last few days, too hot in Melbs.

ETA we don't walk on roads or footpaths anyway, only the bay trails where there is a lot of shade.

Edited by HazyWal

I guess the brachycephalic ones are the ones that suffer most and walking them in heat could be fatal - for other breeds the threshold is much higher - also here I guess taking enough water with you when on a longer walk is a must. At the moment we have 34 deg C outside and I can recognize that our BC (short-haired) is significantly less energetic...he might be still keen to go for a walk - but it's too hot for me :D .

We have working border collies, a few of them are short-coated and we still won't walk in anything above about 20-22 degrees. We stupidly decided to walk them last night at about 8pm thinking it was nice and cool. They overheated badly on a 2km walk. Turns out it was 27 degrees. We ended up having to fill up the shell pool for them to have a splash and cool down when we got back home.

Today we changed tact and went on multiple trips to the beach instead :)

That's a hard one given it is early spring here and temps are already in the 30s! I'd say I would walk up to 28 degrees if we had a breeze and if it was early or late in the day. We can have a bearable hot and a stinking hot and humid. We also have shaded and minimal concrete/bitumen walk options which helps. Then there are places where water is readily available if anyone is getting too hot or even short walk options. I figure if I'm sweaty and struggling then the dogs have to be too. Oh and we also have a big furry beast (as well as the pei and SBT). Heat is no deterrant to them if they think something exciting is happening.

Like everyone else, if I know it's going to be particularly hot, I'll go in the early morning (around 5-5:30am) or later in the evening.

If it's been warm, I always feel the asphalt/footpath etc. to make sure it isn't going to be too hot on their paws.

Oops forgot to put a maximum temperature. I'd probably say anything over mid to high twenties, and I won't walk them.

Edited by YippeeGirl

Sometimes we wait for it to cool down. Sometimes i let him go out (i walk him,not just open the gate!) And we just go as far as he likes. Same rule with rain ... i cant convince him its a bad idea so we go out ... usually as far as a corner or telegraph poke & go home.

I go early morning or late evening if it is going to be hot. Those 40 degree days, if it doesn't cool down, may just do inside training instead, depends on how everyone is feeling. The Kelpies are pretty good in the heat, but we don't go too far or fast on those hot days. Diesel doesn't like the heat though, so may stay home on hot days, especially as he is nearing 12 now.

I've been driving her down to the park instead of walking, worried about those feet on cement and also by the time we get to the park (and shade) we are too hot and cranky to enjoy it!

Dog classes were not cancelled sunday morning, although because it was 27 degrees everything was moved to the shade and I brought our own water bowl along. Later that afternoon she wasn't keen on a walk so we kept it short in the shade with mind games around 6pm.

So I think our stopping point would be about 28-30.

I'm a morning walker so it is a rare day that it is too hot here. This morning was lovely at about 9.00am. Might of chill to the air still but sunny. My burb is very bushy too so most of this mornings walk was in the shade.

I can't really say temperature wise, but generally in summer walk them after humans have their dinners so probably around 7:30-8pm... it's a weekend we will take them to the river in the morning instead for a swim.

I remember when I was in Pisa (*travel wanker alert*) a family had a young Labx pup that was yelping and I thought they had stepped on it's feet, but when I looked again I realised it's feet were burning because the road was so hot. Swooped in and picked him up and tried to explain... poor little thing, thankfully he was still small enough to carry.

My general rule is that if I feel like I'm going to melt outside, then we don't go. If it's too hot for me then it's going to be too hot for the dogs. I really hate summer and have been really suffering from the heat already. The dogs and I went to the park yesterday evening and they went for a splash in the creek. Today's even worse so we won't be going anywhere -- although I do have to get some groceries :flame:

The main walk is in the morning so we go out every day. Rain, hail or scorching heat.

We have an afternoon potter that is at any time between 3:30 in winter to 8-9pm on the super hot days. It's more of a toilet and sniff experience as we don't have a backyard so he needs to be toileted before being locked in for the night. In winter we might have two potters in the arvo/evening.

I'm a winter person and don't like the heat. So if I am uncomfortable outside then I don't take the dogs and having pugs, even on nice spring days we make sure that we avoid the main heat and walk early morning or after dark.

But generally they will tell me. We have had about 3 days of 28-35 degrees here and both dogs who are normally crazy even with their daily walks are content to just be lounge lizards so they probably wont be going out today either.

Didi's black coat soaks up the sun really badly so if it's sunny and over 30 I wouldn't walk her until the sun goes down or we'd drive to the beach. Most of our walks in summer involve a swim in the river so at least on the walk back she has evaporative cooling on her side.

Didi does pretty well without a walk for a few days so on those 40+ days where even the ocean is like bath water we stay home.

Saw a woman taking her Akita for an on lead run on the concrete path in the middle of the day today. The sun was so intense and it was at least 35 degrees, poor dog.