Harnesses.

Cat

Hi.

Can anyone recommend a good harness for a dog with a deep chest but a skinny neck. Just got a Pet One Tough Dog which fit his chest but the neck is too big. Looking for recommendations before I try another one. ????

Edited by Cat

depends a bit what you want the harness for.

Black dog do harnesses for most situations, front attach, rear attach tracking dog, double attach training etc.

Is it for walking or for car travel.

http://www.blackdog.net.au/dog-harnesses

There's a really nice rear attach one out of the UK with all soft padding for the dog coat - but I don't know the brand.

There's some car harnesses made by "sleepypod" and I've got one made by bergman - which is a little too adjustable for my liking.

I am using it for agility mostly as well as long lead training.

I had initially tried a car one but was a cheap one and came apart when Hamish was being extremely rowdy.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will check them out.

I use a ruffwear front range harness - I really like the range of adjustment.

http://waggle.com.au...e-harness-p1622

I've got these ones too....fully adjustable & doesn't restrict movement :) She wears it during agility training & also as a car harness

I dont own one (been resisting laugh.gif) but they have an adjustable neck area, so maybe worth a shot.

I bought one for my Borzoi and am slightly disappointed with it. The harness is very round and firm and the Borzoi is very slim ! I hope it softens up then it will hopefully fit better.

I use a ruffwear front range harness - I really like the range of adjustment.

http://waggle.com.au/ruffwear-b1/front-range-harness-p1622

I've got these ones too....fully adjustable & doesn't restrict movement :) She wears it during agility training & also as a car harness

Sheena, what size did you pick? ...small (S)?

Small for her...she is a medium size BC @ about 17/18 kilos, & I got a medium for my bigger boy. I found the sizes quite generous...normally she would be a medium.

Personally I would not have a harness on a dog that was doing agility - I know some of them claim to not restrict movement but that is probably for normal walking and running, not jumping. I run my dogs naked but if anything would only use a fixed collar. Certainly my pup is off leash on a fixed collar for jump bump training.

Personally I would not have a harness on a dog that was doing agility - I know some of them claim to not restrict movement but that is probably for normal walking and running, not jumping. I run my dogs naked but if anything would only use a fixed collar. Certainly my pup is off leash on a fixed collar for jump bump training.

I would imagine that if it were restricting her movement, then she would be dropping bars etc

I would imagine that if it were restricting her movement, then she would be dropping bars etc

Not necessarily - but each to their own, just not something I would do. I don't understand why you would NEED to run a dog in a harness - so if I don't need something I don't use it. Just in case. I know fly ball dogs wear harnesses but the jumps are much lower.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Definitely no harness for agility training.

Recall training maybe.

The trouble with harnesses and loose collars and any dangly bits - is it can get caught up in the equipment and cause major injuries. So they're actually banned from competition.

I run agility in a flat collar with a loop for lead clip and no tags. I would run her naked but every now and again she does something I didn't expect and it's easier for anyone to catch and hold her if she's wearing a collar.

If you feel like you need a harness - maybe what you really need is more foundation training with no agility equipment?

I also would not run a dog in agility with a harness. There is a chance that if your dog jumps or wraps a upright too close the harness could catch . Imagine the fright to the dog if everything falls, or worse still drags after the dog.

In ADAA u cannot run your dog in even s flat collar. I will never forget running my chi x once and mistakenly left the collar on. My friend the judge at the time yelled at me. At first i thought he was joking but he was very serious. Had to stop immediately and remove collar before restarting. Never forgot again.

No need for a harness anyway and i would think the dog would have to feel the harness as their body extends and contracts.

But otherwise hope u get a good fit next time.

Definitely no harness for agility training.

Recall training maybe.

The trouble with harnesses and loose collars and any dangly bits - is it can get caught up in the equipment and cause major injuries. So they're actually banned from competition.

I run agility in a flat collar with a loop for lead clip and no tags. I would run her naked but every now and again she does something I didn't expect and it's easier for anyone to catch and hold her if she's wearing a collar.

If you feel like you need a harness - maybe what you really need is more foundation training with no agility equipment?

I'm am still at the foundation level and the jumps are only low at this stage. Weird that one of the instructors had recommended using a harness. ????Guess ill have to go without