Puppy Doesn't Want Me To Pick Him Up

Jaque

My 4 month old pomeranian (with me since 3 months) loves to be held, is fine with being carried, but does not like to be picked up. He flinches and quickly scurries away when he sees that reaching towards him as though frightened. I can't think of any incident that would explain this aversion he has. Each time I have to take him outside or bring him back in I have corner him somehow. At times he seems to think my attempt at picking him up is the beginning of a game of "chasey". At other times he seems skittish and nervous. In any case whenever I finally have him in my arms he licks my face and is very affectionate. How can I train him to accept being touched/picked up? Would the general "handling exercises for puppies" help? He is very used to being handled in all other ways.

P.S. I am unsure of his history between 2 and 3 months. I know someone committed to take him but changed their mind. I don't know whether he lived with those people for a time, and perhaps got picked up roughly, or whether he never went to them and was at breeders up until he came to me.

Why don't you just train him to walk/run to where you want him ?

he has good young legs ..and doesn't need to be picked up ;)

use yummy treats or a favourite toy , associated with a word .. and he will get it in no time, I expect :)

Coming IN ..could mean being fed ... going OUT could mean a yummy treat or a bone, or game ...

don't use treats for anything other than obeying /learning ;) Do not be tempted to use them just because he looks cute !

As long as he is used to a leash /collar ... use that . ALWAYS associate putting on a leash with praise/treats :)

I wonder if it's a size thing, toy dogs I mean. I've got an Italian greyhound and have friends with them too now. so I get to see a few. Some seem like this even though they've never been mistreated. A breeder friend refers to it as "grabitis" meaning they cringe when being picked up. One friend of mine used to have trouble catching her IG to put a collar and lead on her. The dog would get really excited at the thought of going out, but would run around not allowing herself to be caught so she could get her collar and lead on. My friend remembered that her IG was actually very well trained to SIT on command so she got around it by telling the dog to sit, then she could catch her to put her collar and lead on. I wonder if you could get around it by doing that.

Do you have long nails (ie not total stubs)? Lots of people accidentally dig their nails into their dog's tummy when they pick them up.

My dog is fine with a collar grab, but doesn't like being picked up - for some reason people assume that small dogs must love being carried around?

i agree medical rule out here so we would use a chiro but also the method you use may be a factor .

Do you pick up under the arm pits??

Instead of picking up can you not let him follow you ?/Carrying puppy out all the time to toilet is a bad habit anyway unless there is a valid reason.

Poms are hardy dogs & being a spitz breed stubborn.self willed & not always the cuddly.

You have said pup thinks its a game so chances are it is but the game it thinks it is isn't ending the way it wants.

Do you use treats to encourage puppy to come or do you always corner it ??

Generally just squatting down calling pup especiaally little puppies makes them feel more confifient that the giant isn't going to get them ,

I gather your brushing the dog so that touch time should be enjoyable remember puppy has four legs so let pup use them

I know some small dogs that hate being picked up, and some others that love it and are constantly asking to be picked up...

With my 20+kg dog - I always pick her up with an arm around her bum and the other around the front of her chest or sometimes under her chest and just behind her arm pits or under her elbows (between elbow and wrist). I never put a hand onto her stomach to lift her up. If someone did that to me - I think I'd throw up on them.

Most dogs I know are fine if they sort of sit on your arm and have their front feet supported. If I thought the dog might be tempted to launch, I might put a finger through the collar or put my arm or hand across the front of the dog's chest to prevent that.

I second what the others said about training a collar grab. You know you've got it right when the dog shoves their neck into your hand to get the treat. Ie that's what you should be aiming to reward and once the dog has the hang of the collar grab game - the dog has to assist you in the collar grab to get the treat - not start a game of chase the dog.

Nose touch ie rewarding the dog for touching the palm of your hand with his nose... is helpful for guiding a dog by the nose... put the reward treat in the hand the dog touched...

Have some games where you sit on the ground and get the dog to interact with you... work up to dog jumping onto your lap.

And always be really careful about how you pick your dog up and what bit you lift.

Small dogs do need to be picked up a lot in life so he needs to get used to it. I have always had small dogs & breed & have never bred or got one from anyone else that didn't like being picked up.

Does he do this inside the house or only outside ?

If only outside I would put him on a long extension lead each time he goes out for a couple of days & reward him when he is reeled in to come to you, as long as he doesn't struggled too much. Chasey is not a good game.

If its anytime & inside too stand him on a table safely & gently feel him all over for any sore spots. Gently feel each bone in his spine, around his ribs & in his joints. feel all over for any lumps, swellings or tender spots. A sore rib can be ok but really hurt when being picked up. I would not run to a chiropractor, vet first is better if you find anything.

There is no way of knowing why he is this way or what has happened but its not normal for a young puppy if he does it inside & outside. Outside its often usual not to want to come in.

I got a 2 year old cat that had not been handled much & won't come to me & runs away although she is not unfriendly, talks to me & has not been mistreated & found when in the run it is better for me to stand still until she gradually gets nearer & then pick her up. If I follow her around she runs more & faster than I can. Food tricked her a few times but then she got smart.

Its either a matter of patience & training or there is a sore spot. If he has only been with you for about 4 weeks it may just be puppy silliness & he needs more time.

Are you leaning over the top of the little one when you go to pick him up? Think how you would feel if someone loomed over the top of you and grabbed you up. Try approaching more from his level and from the side and see if that makes any difference...

T.

Why don't you just train him to walk/run to where you want him ?

he has good young legs ..and doesn't need to be picked up ;)

use yummy treats or a favourite toy , associated with a word .. and he will get it in no time, I expect :)

Coming IN ..could mean being fed ... going OUT could mean a yummy treat or a bone, or game ...

don't use treats for anything other than obeying /learning ;) Do not be tempted to use them just because he looks cute !

As long as he is used to a leash /collar ... use that . ALWAYS associate putting on a leash with praise/treats :)

I take your point and will try to get him to walk on his own if possible. He is still in the early stages of recall training but is fairly reliable if there is a treat offered. Being a pomeranian and a puppy he is quite small and this does mean he needs to be picked up at times. He seems to need help getting onto my lap or up on the couch, and then down again of course. He likes to be on my lap when I'm on the computer or watching TV and jumps up against my leg to tell me to pick him up. When I lean down and reach out for him, he runs off! Then he resumes the jumping. I would prefer that he just got where he needed to go by himself, believe me.

How is he with having his collar touched/grabbed? A lot of dogs are not comfortable with their collar being grabbed or being picked up. You can get him used to this and then he shouldn't scurry away.

He hasn't been wearing a collar, actually. He wears a harness and leash when we go out. Nevertheless, it sounds like the issue you describe is the same as what he is experiencing, or at least may be remedied in a similar fashion. Thank you for that video link. I'm going to try playing The Collar Game (The Grabbing Game?) with him!

Dogs will often feel intimidated if you lean over them, so maybe try getting down to his level & encourage him onto your lap & take it from there....tiny steps :) but don't lean over him.

I have been thinking this, too. I am such a giant compared to him and from his perspective I could be very intimidating. In light of that, I have been trying to come at him from a lower level, slower, talking soothingly... It's hard to be non-threatening while moving toward with intent to capture XD. I haven't tried lying down completely, maybe I will try that.

I have a tiny dog who does used to do this (especially when she knows I want to grab her to wipe her face), I would get down low sometimes lying on the ground and encourage her over to me with treats and praise and then stand up with her in my arms. It is soooo important with tiny dogs to be able to pick them up when needed, especially out and about, my girl likes using her own legs but sometimes I have to pick her up in crowds or when people think its ok to let their large off lead dog barrel over to my little on lead dog where she ends up getting stood on.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a tiny dog who does used to do this (especially when she knows I want to grab her to wipe her face), I would get down low sometimes lying on the ground and encourage her over to me with treats and praise and then stand up with her in my arms. It is soooo important with tiny dogs to be able to pick them up when needed, especially out and about, my girl likes using her own legs but sometimes I have to pick her up in crowds or when people think its ok to let their large off lead dog barrel over to my little on lead dog where she ends up getting stood on.

Thankyou I will try that. Now that I think about it whenever I do lie down on the floor to do my back exercises he walks runs up and jumps on me so this will probably help a lot.

I wonder if it's a size thing, toy dogs I mean. I've got an Italian greyhound and have friends with them too now. so I get to see a few. Some seem like this even though they've never been mistreated. A breeder friend refers to it as "grabitis" meaning they cringe when being picked up. One friend of mine used to have trouble catching her IG to put a collar and lead on her. The dog would get really excited at the thought of going out, but would run around not allowing herself to be caught so she could get her collar and lead on. My friend remembered that her IG was actually very well trained to SIT on command so she got around it by telling the dog to sit, then she could catch her to put her collar and lead on. I wonder if you could get around it by doing that.

That is interesting that IGs often display this behaviour also. I will try asking him to sit tomorrow.

Do you have long nails (ie not total stubs)? Lots of people accidentally dig their nails into their dog's tummy when they pick them up.

My dog is fine with a collar grab, but doesn't like being picked up - for some reason people assume that small dogs must love being carried around?

I usually have quite short nails but between trimmings they sometimes get long-ish (for mans fingernails, anyway). I will have to cut them more diligently.