How To Teach Show Puppy Not To Bite

whitka

Hi everyone, Now I know the whole how to stop puppies from biting has been done but I would like some extra help with our little land shark. My boy is a 9 week old British Bulldog who is going through the biting everything stage. He's also in training to be a show puppy and when I try to examine his face and mouth ( to get used to a judge doing it ) all he wants to do is bite, even when we just want to pat him on the head. What's the best way to get him out of this behaviour? Thanks :)

do judges mouth bulldogs? I'd wait until he is relaxed, maybe a bit sleepy and rub his ears gently. Then expand a bit further down his face. Use treats. Do you have to clean his face folds? That could make him a bit touchy. And ring your breeder and ask them what they recommend. :) I've got greyhounds so very easy to very quickly raise their lips, let go and treat.

Generally judges just run the fingers through like most flat faced breeds ,they don't mouth them like a normal dog but i would still teach it mouthing for general care.

Small steps is all that is needed ,place puppy on a table & just touch the face no mouthing ,then start running a finger through the mouth ,a few weeks time you can try lifting the folds up BUT always do it on a table at present .

I always mouth my puppies in the bath tub quickly no fuss .

Keep in mind pup is teething & some teeth badly & hate there mouths being touched hence the don't over do it ,just go through a routine .

Stack training i always do on the table anyway because its easier on the back & easier to work with puppies than crawling around the floor plus it teaches them table manners for grooming & washing there folds in there faces .

What i would suggest at present is if your mouthing technique isn't working it could be how your doing it so sometimes your better stopping & get someone to make sure your doing it right than to teach bad behaviour at this crucial age

I would stop everyone trying to pat his head ,dogs will follow your hand because they have no idea what you are doing once your hand leaves there vision & then people get unsure & pull t here hand away & the dogs think its either a game or your unsure .

Patting any dogs head is incorrect handling anyway .Something we have to stress often with our breed as it has eye brows & people for some reason insist on banging there head

Allow puppy to see your hand & pat under the chin ,