Probiotics For Dogs?

Mishki

Hi guys,

So my Maltese recently had a few antibiotic shots and now she has a mild yeast infection. I've read that probiotics can help regulate her normal gut flora and help with the yeast. I've started adding plain, non fat (Jalna, the green cap brand) to her food but I don't think there's enough active strains in there to do much.

I can't seem to find any probiotics made for dogs specifically around here, and I read that human ones work just as well.

Can anyone recommend any probiotic brands that they've had success with? I read somewhere that Inner Health Plus is great (the one kept in the fridge) and it's one capsule per day per adult. If so, what would the dosage be for a 4kg dog?

If not Inner Health Plus, what other recommendations do you have? Someone said the Blackmores Acidophilus one works well.

Thanks!

I bought some through my vet - can't recall brand off hand but used a tiny grain on my baby puppies. Have a look online at vet n pet direct as well.

Thanks for your reply!

I'm on the site right now and I saw the PAW Digesticare. Can you use that even though your pup doesn't have diarrhea or any digestive issues? She needs some probiotics to rebalance her natural flora.

I used inner health plus for a while but never bothered to replace the bottle - not sure it did much. Maybe he didn't need it.

I just use greek yoghurt now - I buy a tub occasionally for him, or if he'e been off. Mum only ever used yoghurt or protexin on foals.

Don't forget your malt is much smaller than a human and dogs have different digestive tracts. Has the vet recommended anything?

I used inner health plus for a while but never bothered to replace the bottle - not sure it did much. Maybe he didn't need it.

I just use greek yoghurt now - I buy a tub occasionally for him, or if he'e been off. Mum only ever used yoghurt or protexin on foals.

Don't forget your malt is much smaller than a human and dogs have different digestive tracts. Has the vet recommended anything?

They recommended Entralive but they've run out of stock until next week, so I was wondering what I could supplement for the time being!

I can't remember the source but when looking a a probiotic for dogs, not all brands of yoghurt are equal. Dogs share some of the same gut bacteria as people, but the balance is different - dogs need more of the bifido strains if I have that right. No yoghurt is harmful, but some cultures are better than others. I will try to find the source article which made me read all the fine print on yoghurt labels.

It is easier to use a good brand of purpose designed canine probiotic if you have a dog with chronic gut problems.

I can't remember the source but when looking a a probiotic for dogs, not all brands of yoghurt are equal. Dogs share some of the same gut bacteria as people, but the balance is different - dogs need more of the bifido strains if I have that right. No yoghurt is harmful, but some cultures are better than others. I will try to find the source article which made me read all the fine print on yoghurt labels.

It is easier to use a good brand of purpose designed canine probiotic if you have a dog with chronic gut problems.

With our boy who had ongoing digestion issues it was recommended we use the Bornhoffen brand with him by a few different holistic vets and naturopaths. He did really well on it and any night that we missed he would get a gut ache so it was obviously effective. He no longer needs it (he had had giardia which stays in the system for 5 or so years) but we wouldn't hesitate to use it again if needed.

Guest crazydoglady99

Protexin is great.

Life Space is good too (and super affordable) - i think it's the brand augustine approved recommends.