Puppy At Home Whilst We Work

Led-zep

Hi,

New to the forum.

We are looking at a husky puppy and will be in a situation where we both work full time jobs

I will be looking to adopt in December this year and will however take 2-3 weeks off work to adjust the pup to the home.

He will have the laundry as his home base if you will and can roam around the house as well as using outside where I will have a kennel which is fenced off with 8 foot fencing.

Unfortunately after that period is done I'll be back at work 9-5. We have plenty of time for excersise before and after work.

My concern is leaving him at home for that period of time. I'll most likely leave him outside so he can do his business and have a space to lay down. We will have 8 foot fences and it's all closed in.

Thoughts? I'd leave him inside but I fear he will pee every where!

How do people who work full time jobs manage? I can ask my mother to drop by during lunch but I can't rely on her always.

My latest puppy who is now 13 months old. She flew in on the Friday lunchtime ish and I took the Friday off to collect her and then I was back to work on the Monday. I worked a slightly shorter day although my brother called in at lunchtime to take her out. She was puppy penned inside during the day as I wanted to keep her away from the other dog and she coped fine. She continued with that set up until she worked out how to get out of the puppy pen around 6 months. She had a place to go toilet and while it wasn't ideal being indoors our yard isn't super puppy proof so it was better she was inside and out of harms way. Especially being a summer puppy when it was warm.

If you have a super enclosed yard I am sure your puppy will be fine. You can leave plenty of chew stuff/kongs etc once you know the puppy is ok with them.

Awesome thanks for the replies.

I'll take more time off when we get him around 3 weeks which should be plenty of time hopefully to acclimatise to our house.

My only concern is going potty once I'm back at work.

Personally we don't encourage our puppy owners to take time off,start as you plan to go for life .

If you plan to stay home then whilst home the pup needs to do the routine of what would be when your at work so unless your prepared to not pamper it with love & make it think you will be there 24/7 then i would not take time off .

What your main concern will be is ensuring the pup is well catered for as its summer ,winter babies are so much easier .

Keep in mind the laundry often is one of the warmest areas so pup may not enjoy being in there & exercise as a puppy before & after work will be limited for quite some time due to the growth plates so you need to look at activities that encourage independence & using its brain until walks can come in ,a tired pup is one that has had to think .

Also make sure what type of personality you are after in your pup & make sure the breeder is aware of this & talk to them at what is best for making a Sibe a non escape artist .The fence is a great start

Awesome thanks for the replies.

I'll take more time off when we get him around 3 weeks which should be plenty of time hopefully to acclimatise to our house.

My only concern is going potty once I'm back at work.

Three weeks is plenty of time to house train a pup.

If you start from the minute you bring them home, it really doesn't take the average dog long to learn.

The minute you walk into your home with the pup, after picking him/her up - take them out the back (with a pocket full of treats) and walk around with them until they pee. As soon as they are finished give lots of treats and praise.

Then every half hour or so, do the same thing - out the back and praise, praise, praise.

After every nap, every meal and every play time - out the back to toilet. Don't come back in until puppy goes to the toilet and you get to praise them like crazy..

This method is pretty foolproof.

Get a dog door put in the back door/laundry door, so the pup can come and go into the backyard - once he/she is trained, the can make their own way in and out to toilet.

Taking time off is fine, but be sure to get the pup used to being outside on its own for periods of time from the beginning. The biggest issues with separation anxiety can start when the pup has constant company for the first few weeks and is then suddenly left outside on its own all day. If they get used to being on their own for a couple of hours at first and building up to the whole day then it goes a lot smoother. I have also had pups that I have picked up on the weekend then gone straight back to work on the Monday. They get their routine established right from the beginning and have no issue with it.

I strongly recommend new puppy owners to take at least 2 weeks off work when the pup comes home.... however, promptly follow up that recommendation with insisting they ensure this time is specifically spent teaching their puppy to be calm comfortable and confident in its own company, happy in the environment it will be eventually left in and leaving and returning with no fuss.

Spying on puppy, listening from outside or next door, leaving and sneaking back inside, gradually building up time away from the puppy are all excellent ways of the owner feeling reassured that when they are away for 8-10 hours a day that the puppy will be fine. If by the time owners are heading back to work they have built up time away for at least a few hours, then the pup will be fine.

Obviously during this time there will be a lot of play time, training, cuddling etc as well, but my rule of thumb is for every 5 minutes you play with your puppy, he needs 10 minutes alone.

Typically the puppy will be fine whether owners do the above or not, but the two biggest issues I find if they don't -

1. Owners worry and become anxious about leaving their puppy because they didn't build up the separation slowly and see that their efforts work and the puppy copes well.

2. Puppies thrust into a situation where they are suddenly alone without some prior habituation will often bark a lot, which is very unfriendly for suburban living.