Angry And Helpless

MonElite

I went away for few days to "town name withheld".

One day at the beach a dog came wondering. I looked for the owner but couldn't see anyone near by (lots of people far away, its a leash free beach) he was an oldder dog, grey around a muzzle and teeth were pretty worn down and old. But in a good shape. He didn't look lost, distressed or wanting to go anywhere other then stay with me.:love:

He brought me a stick to throw, so I did.

Then I went for a walk, he came with me, I threw the stick for him, we played and he was happy. If he lost the stick he run and found another one. We had a great day.

He had a collar with a tag so I rang the number, expecting that its some person that lets the dog out to wonder and to tell them that it would be a shame if he got run over by the car on the way to the beach or was attacked by another dog and injured.

The guy that answered the phone wasnt surprised that I have the dog and we arranged where to meet.

So I took the dog in the car, to which he jumped in very willingly and happy and drove a minute away to the surf club car park.

Windows down, hot day, dog happy sitting on the floor behind the drivers seat.

As I arrived another car arrived and I guessed that this is the owner.

Dog wedged himself on the floor and when I opened the door he wouldn't come out. I thought thats because its hot and we were in the shade.

The owner called a dog with a happy voice and he reluctantly came out and wouldn't move further.

Owner went forward and the dog collapsed to the ground, crouching, tail down, totally petrified.

In the mean time Ive asked how come he is out and the owner said that the kids must have left the gate open again. I picked up on the "again" and said that it might be an idea to keep him contained better.

The guy said dog is in a pen but gets out, so I said - you could improve your fencing. All nice but inside I was boiling.

So the owner goes towards the dog and the dog is just so scared, I said - why is he like that????

The guys says - because he knows he is in trouble.

I said - he is not in trouble, he's done nothing wrong (thinking that the kids should be in trouble, but not saying a word)

The guy picked the dog up threw him at the back of the ute (fancy with a name of the business), dog not tied up, so he closed the cover (super hot day) and said - he is my dog and he is in trouble! :banghead:

and he left

I was speechless, angry, wanted to scream and hit him and just did nothing, basically unable to move and do anything. I have never seen a dog acting so scared of the owner when he did nothing, and its very clear that he gets belted badly.

I so failed that dog, I wanted to do the right thing and return a lost dog to it'w owner. If only I knew...... Id probably commit a crime and steal him, but now it's to late

So very sorry lovely dog, I'd give you a home, you were just perfect and your human is a type of a person that I call human trash and doesn't deserve anything as beautiful as your soul.

If anyone has any ideas as what to do I'm all ears. I have the persons phone number and I know the business name.

and of course the name of the dog.

Just so so sad and cant stop thinking about it. :cry::cry::cry:

Edited by MonElite

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt RSPCA will do anything.

dog looked healthy and Id imagine it would have water and shelter at home.

I know that legally there isn't anything I can do... I'm like a toothless tiger and just devastated.

Edited by MonElite

You rang so you must have some record of his number. I would definitely be reporting to the RSPCA and insisting that an inspector visit, also the police. I feel for you and I would also be so angry. Stay strong! The dog needs you to stand up for it!

It might not be as bad as you think .

On some of those 'shaming' dog videos on you tube some of the dogs look absolutely terrified and miserable ( some of the reasons I don't like them ) but I very much doubt those dogs were getting a belting after the camera stopped recording .

Years ago we had a kelpie x who so sensitive you only needed to rise your voice slightly and the dog was rolling on her belly pissing herself in fright . We got her at 8 weeks with no history of abuse .

I know if my dogs get in trouble now ( getting in to the rubbish when we are out in a past time they enjoy ) we know something is up because they both hiding under the bed , this is before we even enter the kitchen .

I certainly don't hit or belt my dogs !

Dogs do know pretty quickly when they have done something against their owners wishes and don't like the feeling of it . Abuse doesn't necessarily need to be part of

You did the right thing and gave that dog the best day

If you get a chance to go back

he will be there again

as he is probably not taken out

So take him and love him

or you can contact the owner and kindly ask to buy /adopt the dog

saying you realize he must be really busy with work and kids etc

and that you would love an older dog

Stay calm offer $100 or so and he is sure to say take him

I wouldnt bother with the rspca they wont do anything

Goodluck go get him :)

Sad :( and I know exactly what you mean.

You could try the surrender thing but if kids are involved the usual answer is that he's the kid's pet so no thanks.

RSPCA ... not sure. They would need something other than a scared dog but you could definitely ask if they can make sure his pen has shelter, water and food, tell them he was roaming.

I think they also run the local pound there. Some RSPCA's work with rescue so I'd also call the local rescue people at PMAWS.

If he's been picked up a few times before there could be a nuisance order him - which makes fines steeper and could be why he is kept in a pen.

loveyrdog; I'm afraid you're partly advising illegal theft of property.

I would err on the side of caution before overreacting, the only concern I see here is the "trouble" statement (easily something I can see said offhand to make light of embarrassment) and putting him in the back of a ute on a hot day (but not illegal, possibly lives close by?).

As someone who, when my dog got out and I was contacted, also had someone ask "what's wrong with her" because she came to me in a nervous little slink/tummy crawl - am not keen to jump so fast to the abuse judgement.

I hadn't raised my voice, I've never raised a hand, she wasn't in "trouble" - nethertheless with strangers who had cornered her in the yard and called me, she came to me in that submissive-appeasement position...contrary to her usual recalls where she tries to knock me over.

No doubt my finders had similar concerns to you but thankfully no-one called the RSPCA on me, even though at the time I was too flustered to explain she is simply a timid/scared dog and the difference/newness of the situation has put her into her crawling mode.

Not all signs of a timid or nervous dog means guaranteed abuse or "beltings", food for though I hope.

You could try the surrender thing but if kids are involved the usual answer is that he's the kid's pet so no thanks.

RSPCA ... not sure. They would need something other than a scared dog but you could definitely ask if they can make sure his pen has shelter, water and food, tell them he was roaming.

I think they also run the local pound there. Some RSPCA's work with rescue so I'd also call the local rescue people at PMAWS.

If he's been picked up a few times before there could be a nuisance order him - which makes fines steeper and could be why he is kept in a pen.

Sorry but if you find a dog that is continually roaming the streets

take it in

no one comes forward and wants it

which unfortunately happens

just ask the shelters

then I say good on you for caring about that animal

take it in

just ask the shelters

Just ask the shelters what? Shelters don't just hold animals and hope owners come searching, they make reasonable attempts to locate the owners and in this case the owner was very easy to locate and immediately arranged to pick up their dog.

Yes it can be distressing to see a dog cowering in front of it's owner but I assume that there was no physical evidence of abuse so for all we know this is a guy with some old fashioned views of dog behavior with an escape artist dog, it doesn't mean he's not loved and wanted.

My parents spent thousands trying to keep our dog growing up in our property and my brother and I spent more than 1 afternoon cycling around the neighborhood after school looking for him. He never experienced anything harsher than a stern 'go to your kennel' but he knew when he was 'in trouble'

take it in

just ask the shelters

Sorry but rubbish. There's channels in place for a reason. Too often I see lost and found posts on Facebook with 'this baby won't be going to the pound no matter what. I'll wait til the owners come forward and if they don't I'll keep him/her'

Its illegal and its dodgy. Do the right thing, even in a shitty situation.

Not everyone checks Facebook and not everything is as it seems at first glance.

take it in

just ask the shelters

That's theft, and a really low act. I'm 6,000,000% sure no shelter would condone breaking the law by stealing a dog because you have an opinion that it's better off with you. Proper channels exist for a reason

If you want to do the right thing by the dog, and keep it, take it to a shelter and tell them if it's not claimed you will adopt it. Some dogs are escape artists. My old boy went through a brief period of it and if someone had stolen him because they thought they were 'helping' the 'poor dog' it would have broken his heart and mine.

I personally know how haunting and distressing it can be to know (or have a strong suspicion) that a dog is being beaten.This thread has made me think about people who beat their animals (and they do exist) and what can be done about it. I did some googling and found this on the RSPCA Australia website. http://www.rspca.org.au/animal-cruelty/what-animal-cruelty

What is animal cruelty?

Animal cruelty can take many different forms. It includes overt and intentional acts of violence towards animals, but it also includes animal neglect or the failure to provide for the welfare of an animal under one’s control. In addition to this, it is important to remember animal cruelty is not restricted to cases involving physical harm. Causing animals psychological harm in the form of distress, torment or terror may also constitute animal cruelty.

As a result of there being so many possible forms of animal cruelty, state and territory animal welfare legislation does not attempt to define it in an exclusive way; rather, animal cruelty is described generally as any act or ommission that causes unnecessary or unreasonable harm to an animal. Most animal welfare Acts will provide particular examples of cruelty. These may include:

torturing or beating an animal;

confining or transporting an animal in a way that is inappropriate for its welfare;

killing an animal in an inhumane manner;

failing to provide appropriate or adequate food or water for an animal;

failing to provide appropriate treatment for disease or injury; and

failing to provide appropriate living conditions.

State and territory animal welfare legislation prohibits all forms of animal cruelty and imposes obligations on all animal owners to provide for the welfare needs of their animals. Breaching animal welfare legislation is a crime. Serious cases can result in large fines and imprisonment.

You can see what the penalties are for animal cruelty in each state and territory on the Knowledgebase: http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-are-the-penalties-for-animal-cruelty-offences_271.html

You can find a link to your state or territory’s animal welfare legislation on the Knowledgebase: http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-is-the-Australian-legislation-governing-animal-welfare_264.html

If you believe you have witnessed a case of animal cruelty, please report it immediately to your local RSPCA Inspectorate:

It is appropriate to report to the RSPCA inspectorate if you suspect an animal is being beaten. Many times on these forums I have seen it posted that it is a waste of time reporting abuse or suspected abuse to the RSPCA because they won't do anything about it. If this is true why accept it? Ask them why they are not doing their job.

...the dog was older, but in a good shape, wasn't distressed in any way, showed no aggression nor any signs of anxiety, was playful and active despite his age, with an impeccable social behaviour...for me it seems he has / had a pretty good live and who ever raised him must have done something right.

...if our dog would run away one day (I hope it never happens so) I hope she shows a similar impeccable behaviour, but I also hope that the person who finds her would call us ASAP and doesn't spend a nice day with her before letting us know where our dog is.

Willem I am not sure if your post was referring to my post or the OP. My post was meant to be more general and moving beyond finding a loose dog. I guess if the dog in the OP had a tag I would be trying to contact the owner but I don't always carry a mobile so maybe I would just play with it and hope that someone else would report it. My post was more about knowing a dog (for example a neighbour's dog) was being abused and what should be done about it. Animal abuse of any sort really distresses and haunts me.

Willem I am not sure if your post was referring to my post or the OP. My post was meant to be more general and moving beyond finding a loose dog. I guess if the dog in the OP had a tag I would be trying to contact the owner but I don't always carry a mobile so maybe I would just play with it and hope that someone else would report it. My post was more about knowing a dog (for example a neighbour's dog) was being abused and what should be done about it. Animal abuse of any sort really distresses and haunts me.

...nah, didn't refer to your post, just a general comment wondering why a lot of people are speculating that the dog gets beaten and why they are ignoring the fact that the dog is obviously a very balanced, lovely and healthy dog (at least that's how the OP describes him)...it is not likely that the dog would be like this if he would be treated badly.