Choosing A Dog!

Petar

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and hope this is the right place to post!

I've never owned a dog before, but have been thinking about it for a long time. Now that I'm giving it more serious consideration, I realise that it's not really straightforward!

I want to make the right decision and do justice to the responsibility of dog ownership, so that's why I'm here. I know what I want, but I'm not sure if it exists? Maybe the conclusion is that I'm not in the position to own a dog right now, and that's ok. Much better than bringing a dog into my life that won't get the love and attention it deserves.

Myself and my partner are very fit and active in our late 20s. We own a cafe and work a lot of hours. Tuesday's, Wednesday's and Saturdays especially we'd be gone from early morning and wouldn't be back until early evening. Are there breeds that exist that would be comfortable with being alone this much? Even on those days we're out all day, we would be able to commit to a walk or some form of play and interaction for a couple of hours. Monday afternoons, Thursday, Friday and Sunday someone is always home.

Other preferences are:

- guard dog/protector. We've been robbed before and I want to prevent this again. I'm also quite drawn towards strong type dogs (staffy, pitbull, or even dobermans and German shepards)

- dog that is happy in a double story unit with a small yard

- dog that is low maintenance with minimal shedding and grooming requirements

- my partner would prefer a not too large dog, someone who can be a couch companion and not take up too much space.

Maybe this is too much wishful thinking, but I'm hoping this forum is a good place to ask the question!

Many thanks :)

Petar

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good on you for doing your research!

Problem is you want the best of both worlds - strong, protective, human oriented yet must be small, spend lots of time alone and need minimal exercise/training. And don't even think about a GSD if you want low shedding :laugh: I think you need to modify your expectations a bit. My dogs can cope with the odd very long day at home alone provided they get a LOT of exercise and training on the other days PLUS I get up at 5am to train and play for 2 hours plus they get training when I get home late. They are indoor dogs for the most part.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Get a burglar alarm.

That will open out your choices a bit more.

Human aggression in a Stafford or a Pitbull (get an Amstaff as they are legal) is a VERY SERIOUS fault.

My honest advice is not to get a pup. Get a mature adult that won't have the time demands a pup would

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Seeing as you own the business could you take the dog to work with you?

not to a cafe surely? Strict laws on dogs around food places.

I agree a proper home alarm will make things easier.

Strangely enough, except for the guard dog bit, I thought a GAP greyhound may suit. Why? Because I've known of a couple who have lived the life you describe and have been very happy.

Seeing as you own the business could you take the dog to work with you?

not to a cafe surely? Strict laws on dogs around food places.

I agree a proper home alarm will make things easier.

Strangely enough, except for the guard dog bit, I thought a GAP greyhound may suit. Why? Because I've known of a couple who have lived the life you describe and have been very happy.

I was thinking the same - but I'd rather a Grey owner suggest it as I know they get thrown about as an option a lot.

I guess it depends on the type of cafe. I've been to a few where the owners dog/s just wander around but they all have outdoor areas as well.

I also thought greyhound would suit. And they are large enough to be at least a deterrent to an opportunistic burglar, if not a good watch dog.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far!

We have since installed an alarm - I guess I just like the strong look, smaller size and nature of those dogs listed. As well as the short and neat coat. Maybe there are other breeds that tick those boxes? Happy to look into recommended breeds. I guess main priority would be low maintenance, low shedding, obedient companion and can be left alone for long periods without causing destruction. The rest I can maybe file in the "nice to have" column.

I wish we could bring it to work, but we would have nowhere to put it and can't just tie it up outside for hours on end.

In regards to the greyhound, I did consider it, but wanted to see if there was a breed that had more of a protective instinct to it. From what I've learned, greyhounds are more likely to avoid aggression or confrontation than protect!

In regards to the greyhound, I did consider it, but wanted to see if there was a breed that had more of a protective instinct to it. From what I've learned, greyhounds are more likely to avoid aggression or confrontation than protect!

You are very correct there. Even my bitch, who is a fantastic alert dog, would not jump in to protect me (95% sure of that) but a dog who will actually tackle someone, they are not that common and require a huge amount of training. I've owned 5 German Shepherds as well and only one of those did I ever think may have stepped up if it was needed. Luckily I never had to find out.

Good luck with your search :)

Take a look at Chow Chow

Personally I think they tick your boxes with the exception of coat maintenance, but a weekly brush and a bi monthly trip to the groomer should be all that is needed. They do come in a 'smooth' coat variety too but they shed as much or more. Having lived with Chows I think you might find everything you're looking for there.

Edited by blinkblink

Agree with The Spotted Devil, good on you for researching and being realistic about your situation :)

Keep in mind that the short neat coats do tend to shed constantly, they are just short spiky hairs! Easy to maintain but you will still have a fair bit of hair all over the place. The low shedding breeds tend to need regular grooming because their hair doesn't just fall out so it gets tangled and needs trimming up etc.

Bull breeds (staffies, pit bulls and others) tend to need some pretty decent training and consistency to be easy to live with, and are veeeeery people focused. I really think you'd come home to an anxious dog and possibly a destroyed house if they were left alone for those long days, unfortunately.

What do you mean when you say low maintenance?

By low maintenance, I mean not a lot of grooming requirements, drooling and as little as possible shedding, and also a dog who can cope with a full day by himself in a small yard or indoors and not destroy things out of boredom.

I have come across the German Pinscher and that seems to tick a lot of my boxes on paper? Anybody with experience or knowledge of this breed?

By low maintenance, I mean not a lot of grooming requirements, drooling and as little as possible shedding, and also a dog who can cope with a full day by himself in a small yard or indoors and not destroy things out of boredom.

I have come across the German Pinscher and that seems to tick a lot of my boxes on paper? Anybody with experience or knowledge of this breed?

I don't think you are really going to get a breed characteristic that will fulfil this, perhaps some more suited than others yes, but not guaranteed. More of an individual trait, along with training and enough exercise/mental stimulation.

I know pretty chill greyhounds that have had days they've decided to destroy something when left alone, they weren't quite house trained properly.

Edited by LisaCC

Having a dog in general is a fair deterrent to burglars, regardless of whether the dog means business or not. What about a dog that just looks the part without having a protective tendency? A black greyhound waiting at the door would probably be quite intimidating to an intruder. Or a dog with a nice big 'woof'. Intruder doesn't have to know that they'd be licked to death if they walked in the door!

Looking for a breed that looks the part rather than actually being protective/guarding would open up your options a bit.

Also, with grooming needs consider that long haired breeds don't necessarily mean more work to groom. In some instances they are easier, depending on your preference. Short haired dogs will shed throughout the year (particularly double coated breeds like the GSD) whereas a dog with a long coat may only shed once or twice a year in a big coat drop, and then not shed the rest of the year. I find longer coated dogs smell less 'doggy' than their shorter haired counterparts - if that's something that bothers you.

Another way to look at the maintenance aspect...

Short haired dogs, maintain themselves through shedding which means your house is going to need more maintenance.

Dog's whose hair continual grows are often low shedding because the hair is on a longer shed cycle, these breeds require brushing to remove dead hair (the regularity of this will depend on the hair length) and trips to the groomer.

So based on that finding a dog that is both low shedding and low maintenance would be extremely rare, a lot of owners with long haired dogs can achieve this through regular trips to the groomers or the other option is to look at hairless varieties

a dog who can cope with a full day by himself in a small yard or indoors and not destroy things out of boredom.

And this part is 90% up to YOU , and your commitment to making sure a dog has every opportunity top be active and engaged in mind & body .

There are many breeds who are not large , but can bark loudly ...

and, yes, a pure breed , by all means , however, most any black/brindle dog can make someone think twice ...

Bull Terriers love people, so apart from looking the part they wont do anything :laugh:

Any dog in apartment is hard work , i would go the greyhound too, a big black one would be a good deter ant, they don't smell doggy, and would fit your bill, go meet some and see what you think.

While the Bull Breeds are not going to be a 'guard dog' as most love people, they would be a deterrent, when my OH had a Bull Terrier when we met, people were terrified of her and would cross the road to avoid her