Retained Placentas?

Kirislin

My Neko had a caesar on Friday night. The vet deliberately left the placentas in her, his reasoning was that they are better expelled naturally, less chance of her bleeding. He told us to watch for them and put her on a course of AB's for 6 days. As far as we know she has expelled one and she ate it. We took her back the following day around midday and he gave her a shot of oxytocin( sub cutaneous) and told us to watch for contractions in about 15 minutes. We didn't see them. We gave her a 2nd shot as instructed by him at 3.30pm and still no contractions or discharge. Her temp is normal, about 1 degree higher than her usual temp but that's because she's feeding puppies. She seems well in herself and I have no reason to take her to the vets based on her behaviour. I suppose I am just looking for reassurance that it's OK. She might have passed them and we just haven't seen them. If she still had them inside her would she be showing signs of sickness now?

She could have easily passed them with you not seeing them. I've not known a vet to leave the placenta's in before. As Neko is already on AB's and will be for another couple of days the chance of them still being inside and startign up an infection I would think would be small. Every time she goes to the vet there is a chance she is exposed to something nasty. Try not to worry until there is something concrete to worry about. You are home with her all the time and know her well. If, by a very small chance, she has retained a placenta and an infection does start you will know very quickly and can then act on that. I think the chance is very remote though.

I'm still taking her temp twice a day. I'll pick up if there's something wrong, surely...... I am just still going through the anxious stage. I dont think men go through this, I might be wrong, but I suspect it's something to do with being female even though my own baby making hormones should be all dried up by now. :laugh:

Every time I've ever bred anything, be it horse or litters of puppies I go through an anxious and then depressed stage. I know I should be happy! It will come. Once I am certain they're OK and Neko is more relaxed I will be too, but right now, we're both very sleep deprived.

• 2 weeks later...

There would not be any retained placentas if she had a C section, they usually come intact with the pup at delivery.

With my breed most bitches have c sections and with my own girls I know that this is what happens as I am usually at the delivery, always bring one home to rub on the pups so as when the dam is coming around and wondering what the little gremlins are she realises they are her babies. :)

There would not be any retained placentas if she had a C section, they usually come intact with the pup at delivery.

With my breed most bitches have c sections and with my own girls I know that this is what happens as I am usually at the delivery, always bring one home to rub on the pups so as when the dam is coming around and wondering what the little gremlins are she realises they are her babies. :)

Actually no, the vet told us he deliberately left them in because he believes there's less chance of bleeding. He told us to watch for them.

Pers I've just been watching for signs of her feeling unwell. I was a bit worried about infection but she was on AB's for a week and she seems really well in herself.

Now that you mention that it has jogged my mind, a friend of mine with Frenchies, the last two litters her new vet did the same as yours, left the placentas there, will have to ask her did she see the placentas passed. Her two girls were fine.

I would say that after all this time your beautiful Neko will be OK.

Just wondering if this is a new procedure, it has been over two years since a litter has been born here will have to ask my vet next time I am over there.

Just gorgeous babies BTW I have a pet Iggie, she is my husband's walking and couch companion, she will be eight years old in April, CBL's boy litter sister.

in my experience it depends on how easily the placenta comes away. Occasionally they are not ready and cause a lot of bleeding if pulled away... and in those cases they may be best left behind. I do know some vets who will routinely leave them, but my preference is to take them out with the pups if its possible...

• 2 months later...

I was always told to count placentas and make sure they were all out (with natural dliveries). My girls averaged >9 pups. I don't think I ever succeeded in accounting for all the placentas, and I never had problem. I suspect some bitches are pretty subtle about cleaning them up, and I KNOW that I am not very alert in the days after a litter is born