Keeping Labrador Off The Couch?

Blackdog10

Hi,

My 11 month old Labrador has never been allowed on the couch but has never really showed much interest in it. I'd be happy for him to hop up if he just got up when invite dand sat down, but he would run and jump and and then runs all over people sitting on it etc.

So now we're going with flat out not allowed on the couch. We've been doing that rule for about 3 months and we can't stop him from doing it. As soon as he jumps we say off and time him out, outside. Probably so that about 10 times every evening. It just doesn't seem to be making any difference. We then baracaded the whole couch and he ended up jumping the baracade as well. We're being consistent but can't work out what we are doing wrong.

does anyone have any advice?

tether him on his mat via a leash attached around a heavy furniture leg or the like, or if you're inclined, install a tie point to attach the lead to. This way he can't get on the couch but can still get up and move about and interact a bit on and around his mat. Make sure his mat is extra big and comfy.

Some people will suggest a crate I'm sure, but who the hell wants to sit on the couch and look at their dog in a cage

Edited by blinkblink

Oh really, I was hoping there would be a way to teach him to stay off without tying up the little guy. Guess I'll try that.

The tether will just help to reinforce his position on the mat and stop him reinforcing the jumping on the couch behaviour. Use it in conjunction with training and reward and soon enough you will probably be able to drop the tether. It just stops him making the mistake while he is still learning. He's still pretty young it will come with time and patience and in the meantime the tether will ensure he isn't able to practice jumping on the couch and enable you to reward him relaxing on his mat.

Maybe you could try having the tether on stand by and instead of turfing him out if he tries for the couch, march him over to his mat and tether him for time out. At least the 'time out' is still with the family, and in a position where you can easily reward wanted behaviour

Oh really, I was hoping there would be a way to teach him to stay off without tying up the little guy. Guess I'll try that.

Make his mat more exciting then the couch. He's a lab, throw him treats every now and then while he is lying on his mat. Sit down on the mat with him sometimes. I assume you work and the family are at work or school all day so he wants to hang with his buddies. What do you do with him when you get home.? Walks, training, play?

I think it's easier to learn when you aren't in trouble, so am a strong believer in giving the animal something they can get right. In this case, instead of outside, I'd teach the dog an "off" or "down" command, or even "on your bed" and then strongly praise and reward the correct behaviour. The undesirable behaviour stops as soon as the dog does what you ask. All of mine have an off command for the couch as well as on your bed. The latter is really handy when they go visiting as in strange places it can be hard for them to know what is right.

I save outside banishment for really bad behaviour eg shredding the tissue box while I'm out. None of my animals like being banished. I know people say punishment after the fact has no effect but generally behaviour that resulted in being sent outside when I get home doesn't get repeated. With the tissue example, I haven't moved the box and there's been no subsequent tissue fatalities.

Totally off topic. I'm very pleased with the cocker I rehomed. After 7 months she started to instigate play (duck fetch) when I got home. Initially I had to stand next to her crate but the last week or so she's starting to instigate while I'm on the couch and returning (with encouragement) to the couch. She wouldn't play at all when I got her, so it's a huge step forward. It helps she could watch the puppy play and I think that's how she's learned. I've never encountered a dog that wouldn't play, so I'm thrilled she's instigating play. My ex racehorse took 18 months to come out of his shell, so maybe it'll be the same with her. She's very obedient, loves going on walks and what not, but the vet thought since she's had so many homes (4 homes before she turned 3) that she isn't game to trust.

The only reason I thought of her is because her crate is in the lounge room. She came with it and spends a lot of time in it, so I didn't want to put it where she would be left out.

Edited by karen15

I place train mine.

As soon as i let them in a say "place", which is their bed, they go straight there and i give them a treat.

I keep randomly walking past and dropping a treat to them when i am happy for them to move i say "ok".

But throughout the evening whenever they choose to go to their beds i give them a treat, they soon work out that they get food on their place .

Its a bit tedious, but i keep a bowl of treats on the table and their beds are near the couch so i can just lean over and treat them whilst still watching tv :laugh:

I think it's easier to learn when you aren't in trouble, so am a strong believer in giving the animal something they can get right. In this case, instead of outside, I'd teach the dog an "off" or "down" command, or even "on your bed" and then strongly praise and reward the correct behaviour. The undesirable behaviour stops as soon as the dog does what you ask. All of mine have an off command for the couch as well as on your bed. The latter is really handy when they go visiting as in strange places it can be hard for them to know what is right.

Agree. Same as with children. Like first try strategies to prevent a situation. For the dog, maybe try the old bubble wrap on the couch, temporarily, to put them off. Along with that provide a more acceptable option ... dogs love couches because they're comfortable & strongly have their owners' scent on them. So maybe provide a raised dog bed, put on it something that strongly has owners' scent on it (old unwashed T shirts) & make that option a good place to be... by giving dog his kong there. Marry that with a verbal instruction which leads to all those good things.... like 'Bed'. Then plenty of practice & positive reinforcement so it becomes habitual.

Principles of effective learning are the same for a dog or for a child. I stumbled into that when I took our sheltie with separation anxiety to the vet dog behaviourist at the university vet clinic. As the behaviorist explained what was driving the sheltie to do what she did & what to do about it.... the penny dropped. The principles of learning she referred to were the same we taught over in ed psych for children. . And how we'd been trying to manage the sheltie had been all wrong... with the best of intentions, I'd actually been reinforcing the wrong learning !

Edited by mita

Does he like going outside??

If so, perhaps the problem is that you are rewarding him for his behavior, rather than correcting him. i.e. he likes attention, and he likes going out for a sniff around ... and he's discovered a behaviour (jumping on the couch) that gets him both of those things. Win! :D

Just a theory....

Does he like going outside??

If so, perhaps the problem is that you are rewarding him for his behavior, rather than correcting him. i.e. he likes attention, and he likes going out for a sniff around ... and he's discovered a behaviour (jumping on the couch) that gets him both of those things. Win! :D

Just a theory....

I was thinking similar, plus every time he's sent outside he has the excitement of being let back in which is counter-productive to what you're trying to do.