Preparing For A New Pup

MIR

I'm bringing home a new puppy next week and I was wondering what toys, equipment and food I will need to buy before taking him home. He is an 8 week old husky.

I was wondering if I should buy a collar or a harness?

Just buy a cheap collar to begin with . They grow so fast that you don't need to invest in anything to fancy in the early months . Try to train pup to walk loose on a basic lead . Harnesses are not needed unless your dog needs better control . Then a head harness is better ,

Buy a good quality feed and water bowls and heaps of chewing toys . Puppy proof your house and give a good hard look at your yard and see if it's totally secure .

If your planning on crate training buy a crate in a adult size . Also decide if you going to have a doggy door , I love Doggy doors , my 16 wk old lab is totally toilet trained by using a doggy door

Good luck!.

If you are buying from a good ethical breeder they will supply with a diet sheet ,we send our diet sheets out prior so owners can get the food in ,they should also be happy to discuss what equipment which will included grooming equipment & show you how to brush your puppy correctly .

Like already mentioned don't go crazy buying collars they do grow so quickly but again ask your breeder what they have found best suits there dogs .

Your breeder should be your info source first & foremost & a good breeder really appreciates buyers who ask them for help first

Just buy a cheap collar to begin with . They grow so fast that you don't need to invest in anything to fancy in the early months . Try to train pup to walk loose on a basic lead . Harnesses are not needed unless your dog needs better control . Then a head harness is better ,

Buy a good quality feed and water bowls and heaps of chewing toys . Puppy proof your house and give a good hard look at your yard and see if it's totally secure .

If your planning on crate training buy a crate in a adult size . Also decide if you going to have a doggy door , I love Doggy doors , my 16 wk old lab is totally toilet trained by using a doggy door

Good luck!.

If you are buying from a good ethical breeder they will supply with a diet sheet ,we send our diet sheets out prior so owners can get the food in ,they should also be happy to discuss what equipment which will included grooming equipment & show you how to brush your puppy correctly .

Like already mentioned don't go crazy buying collars they do grow so quickly but again ask your breeder what they have found best suits there dogs .

Your breeder should be your info source first & foremost & a good breeder really appreciates buyers who ask them for help first

Thank you all for your input. What will I need for flea, tick and worming control?

Your breeder should be able to advise on flea, tick and worming control. Depending on the breed of your puppy, you may need to be a bit selective about what you use, since there are breeds which have a sensitivity to particular medications.

It's also worth looking/asking around your locality to find a good vet practice, if you don't have a favourite vet already, and maybe even go and chat to them.