Training Problems

Noobie

Hi all, as some of you may know, I have adopted a 6 week old husky/border collie (yes I know this is way too young and all the negatives to it, so please don't comment anything to do with the age I adopted him) and I am currently trying to crate train her. He cries all night when he's in there and I have read that I should take him outside every two hours to toilet.

The problem is, he doesn't even pee or poo and always ends up trying to wander around the backyard garden on the leash. He'll cry if you try to stop him from going anywhere with the leash. During the day I had him, he only did a number 2 in the garden where the pebbles are but pee'd anywhere, so I let him wander to the pebbles in hope that he needed to do a number 2.

Please give me tips on helping crate and toilet train him. Thanks.

Take him to the same spot to toilet, on leash, and don't let him wander. Just stand in the one spot with no interaction so he doesn't get distracted. You can say your toilet word at this point but heap on the praise and treats when he goes. If you remain consistent in going to the same spot he will soon learn what you want.

Where is the crate?

Through the night,do you have it beside your bed as suggested so you could drop a hand on top if puppy was distressed? You don't have to go out every two hours but when pup starts moving around or whimpering. When they're beside you they're comforted by your presence and sleep better.

Make sure puppy isn't hungry, too hot or cold and doesn't need to poo if still whimpering.

Instead of having him on a leash when you are trying to toilet him, you could fencing off a small area where you want him to pee/poo & just pop him in there, wait till you have success, then praise, treat & remove from pen. some dogs do not like to do their business while on lead, but will happily do it when let off. One of those compost panel things from Bunnings would be ideal.

Don't start putting a cue word on it until he really knows what he is doing, then introduce the cue word as he squats & is doing his bit :)

Edited by sheena

Instead of having him on a leash when you are trying to toilet him, you could fencing off a small area where you want him to pee/poo & just pop him in there, wait till you have success, then praise, treat & remove from pen. some dogs do not like to do their business while on lead, but will happily do it when let off. One of those compost panel things from Bunnings would be ideal.

Don't start putting a cue word on it until he really knows what he is doing, then introduce the cue word as he squats & is doing his bit :)

I like this idea ..this poor baby has had a LOT of adjustments all at once -

I fostered a 6 week old pup. I just put her in the crate at bedtime, shut the door and let her be. However - the crate was right beside my bed so she could see/hear/smell me and I also had a heartbeat pillow that I put in there with her and a puppy sized teddy bear. I only took her out if she woke up and whimpered. And I guess the other thing was the crate she was in wasn't so huge that she could toilet in there and still sleep in there. But I certainly didn't wake the sleeping puppy!! It only took her about 3 days to get used to sleeping in there and not wake up between 11-6. Each puppy is different but be consistent and don't give in to a tantrum, listen for the different types of barking/crying you will start to tell the difference between the tantrum and the toilet request!