Mini Poodle Info/breeder Recommendations

dididog

Hey all, my mum has recently decided she'd like to get a dog of her own. As much as she loves Didi she doesn't feel confident walking her on her own and would like something small enough to pick up and cuddle on her lap (and doesn't shed as crazily as Didi). Mum did have a mini growing up and my Nan had standards for a while so she's pretty familiar with them but I'd like to hear from people with experience with them, see if what we have to offer would be a good fit (we're also contemplating the Havanese if people have insight on them).

Grooming and clipping isn't an issue, Mum likes keeping things nice and clean and I always find her fussing over Didi even though she is super low maintenance. We currently walk Didi for about an hour a day offlead with lots of fetch and climbing rocks, we live by the beach so go swimming a lot in summer but Mum also wants to be able to take her dog on lots of on lead walks, we live near extensive walking tracks and Mum would also like taking her dog to go get coffee/lunch/markets stuff like that. Mum works part time from home and there's normally somebody home, if there's nobody home its generally only for a couple of hours a few days a week. Didi (2.5 year old Dane mix)and I will probably still live here for the next 2 or 3 years but Didi is very small dog savvy and placid around the house, I don't think we'd be leaving the two alone together while we're out though. Mum would take pup to puppy school and most likely an obedience club, I love training though so will probably be training tricks and more advanced obedience as well.

Really she's after something quite small but still fairly robust and able to keep up with exercise, something that doesn't shed much or at all and is friendly with dogs and people and would enjoy going out and doing new things a lot. I think we're quite strongly leaning toward the Mini Poodle (and Havanese) so interested to hear about those and any breeder recs but open to other suggestions!

Hi

I don't post often but sometimes pop in to learn more about dogs and training. It's a great forum. Anyway, we recently decided on a standard poodle as I fell in love with them but we also seriously considered a mini and might get one someday! I spoke with the poodle club and they made a few recommendations - Jenuin

Poodles from Victoria and Hillani from Sourh Australia were at the top of my list and I a few people recommended these breeders in the poodle forum which I looked at too. My good friend has a Havanese which is very playful gets long well with her kids but doesn't seem to need as much exercise as I imagine a mini poodle would need. This is why they chose it. Good luck with your search.

I have a cocker spaniel and westie and neither shed. I do strip their coats about every 4-5 weeks and clip out paws and ears and the cockers head and neck. I brush them weekly and don't have issues with matting etc They're still growing their hair (westie is a pup and cocker was fully clipped when I rehomed her 10 months ago) but they will be kept in a sporting trim when their hair gets long enough.

Both would do what you want. Love going out and go walking and to park daily. The cocker may be a little bigger than what you are after. She's not huge, but a little over 10kg.