Puppy Choices

chooka

Hi

I haven`t posted for a long time. Three months ago I had to put my Lucky to sleep I still keep thinking he is waiting to come inside, he was 14.

The reason for my post is my sister also had her 14 year old dog put to sleep so sad, she is now ready to adopt another dog. She is looking at Tenterfield Terriers. Her previous dog was a very quiet corgi cross. She is home all day and would give the dog regular exercise and it would spend the majority of it`s time inside. She was also thinking of a shitzu x (which she has had before). How do you know if you are buying from a puppy farm? backyard breeder? She has tried going through rescue groups but hasn`t found a suitable dog.

Thanks

Sorry you have both lost old friends :(

How do you know if you are buying from a puppy farm/BYB?

Simple .

if the 'breeder' is not registered with their state's Canine council ..and the pup does not have a pedigree... you are buying from a BYB or puppy farm .

this should help :)

CLICK HERE

excerpt :

When you say, ‘a purebred puppy with papers’, then the ANKC (Australian National Kennel Council) pedigree papers is what ‘the papers’ bit is.

It’s also a good idea, when purchasing a puppy, to look for other documentation, such as:

• A vaccination certificate
  • A microchipping certificate
  • A vet check certificate or similar (keep in mind that vaccines can only be administered to healthy animals, so if the puppy is vaccinated, s/he should’ve been ‘healthy’ at the time of vaccination)
  • Any relevant health testing paperwork for parents and puppy (this will depend on the breed)

Finding the 'right' dog may take months :)

what state does she live in ?

There's always Jack Russell Rescue - Based in Sydney - maybe a bit too much if she's looking for something similar to her "very quiet corgi cross"

But they have crosses there too...

https://www.facebook.com/jrtrescue/?fref=ts

There's Fred & Ginger - who have some Corgi in them - and ideally go as a pair

http://sydneydogsandcatshome.org/animal/fred/

If you're happy with a mixed breed pup - start 'stalking' the rescues - but recongnise they tend to go faster than the oldies.

If you're sure you're looking for a Tenterfield pup... well - this is where I'd start:

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/puppies/tenterfield-terrier.asp

Your sister is very brave going from a quiet dog to a full on high drive breed like the Tentie!

But I assume that she has done all of her research and knows what she wants. If she definitely wants a pup I recommend approaching the Tenterfield Terrier Club if she lives in QLD, VIC NSW or WA who may be able to recommend a breeder planning a litter. If she lives in another state she could ask the ANKC affiliate in her state to provide contact numbers for Tentie breeders. She will need to be prepared to wait for a pup from an ethical breeder, there are not huge quantities of litters each year.

If she is not really fussed on a tiny puppy, there are a great many smooth coat pied terrier crosses in rescue ranging from adolescent to elderly. If she looks at well-fostered rescues then she will have an excellent idea of the dog's energy levels and trainability.

If you let us know what state she is in, we may be able to recommend breeders or rescues. :)

You also need not be aware that just because a breeder is registered with a controlling body (Dogs Vic,etc) or listed on Dogz Online does not mean that they are not puppy farmers.

The vast majority are not BUT sadly there are some rouges among the majority of genuine breeders.

I suggest you contact the breed club for any pure breed you are interested in. Any cross breed you may consider is almost definitely from a puppy farmer.

Edited by Airedaler

Denise at Paws has lots of Shitzu type dogs . They may not look it, as most have to be shaved down when they come in.

Just heard she has a litter of pups, malt x shitzu ,and mum in today.

Edited by juice

Thankyou for your replies.

She is in Victoria and has tried the rescue groups but has never been selected, which is a shame because any dog that she adopted would be for the rest of its life. She is looking for a puppy or a young dog. We grew up with terriers so she knows how full on they can be.

Trying to adopt a young pup from rescue will mean a few knock backs, mostly because there are so many applications for them that the rescues can pick and choose. There are Tentie breeders listed on the breed page in Vic which she can approach.

As far as I know they have not been advertised, because they are not yet ready for adoption, but Chally Animal Rescue in Bendigo currently has a litter of small smooth coat pied terriers (mini foxie type) which she might like to contact them about.