Warm Dog Coats- Recs Needed

Cosmolo

Oh, I assumed it was the little straps for the back legs, not the bum. I cut them off anyway cos they're about as useless as tits on a bull! If it's round the bum I still think I'd whip it off...

Could be - leg straps make more sense - and yes - I avoid them too

Edited by Scottsmum

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh. I like the second one - what kind is it?

I think the brand is playmate I'll have to check when I get home, I went looking for it on google, note to self don't put "dog rug" into a Google image search :(

I'll try cutting off the leg loops on the knitted one, would it ride up if I did?

The woolly jumpers I've bought haven't ridden up but my boy is a schnauzer so quite square shaped. Maybe with a different shaped dog it would, if it rides up though I imagine it's more comfy still without the straps?

Fern now has 2 custom made coats. They fit beautifully and I would never get a shop bought one that looks like it is hers and not the boxer next door.

Poochy PJs. $30 posted for 2 nice thick fleece jumpers. Bargain.

Oh. I like the second one - what kind is it?

I think the brand is playmate I'll have to check when I get home, I went looking for it on google, note to self don't put "dog rug" into a Google image search :(

I'll try cutting off the leg loops on the knitted one, would it ride up if I did?

I've cut the silly thigh straps off a couple of coats and it made no difference to how well they did or didn't stay on. If a coat is badly designed and slips or rides up, thigh straps won't really help anyway- I've watched a BC run clean out of a Hurtta coat with thigh straps. Took her all of about 3 seconds to get it off.

• 2 weeks later...

I will have to check out the D&Ds - just got some Wolf's Den pullovers custom made but don't like the shape at all, especially on my two narrower dogs :( At least D&D has heaps of representative photos of their products on FB :)

I will have to check out the D&Ds - just got some Wolf's Den pullovers custom made but don't like the shape at all, especially on my two narrower dogs :( At least D&D has heaps of representative photos of their products on FB :)

That was exactly the problem I had. They seem like nice coats but on a whippet, the coat I got was a formless sack that wouldn't stay on right. Probably good for really chunky dogs though.

My dogs have got weatherbeeta coats and I've been very happy. Heard somewhere they went out of business though?

Doesn't seem so? http://www.weatherbeeta.com.au/

Although it wouldn't surprise me if they had. Their coats are pretty pricey and these days, you can get amazing custom stuff for the same price- stuff that isn't just a scaled-down horse rug.

I have Wolf's Den coats for my two whippets. The first were a bit loose round the bum, but I put a couple of pleats in the rear & passed this info back to her. The next ones came with a pleat already in. Two make for a better fit though. Handy jackets as, with the zip down the back, madam can't undress herself as she does for any with Velcro fastenings.

For wet weather, they have Weatherbeeta rain coats, which are adequate, but I don't really like them. Too stiff. For everyday, I have adapted a Kwiksew (sp?) pattern. Still haven't found a foolproof design that Sam can't manage to wee on.

My dogs have got weatherbeeta coats and I've been very happy. Heard somewhere they went out of business though?

One of the main distributors in AU of the dog coat lines has gone into liquidation. We can't access any of the new weatherbeeta range from any veterinary wholesalers this year.

I'm not sure where Horseland source theirs from though.