Crow Snatches Puppy From Kilsyth Backyard, Owner Collapses With Shock

Two Best Dogs!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One last link for this sad thread

Croydon ornithologist John Harris said ravens, which could be confused with crows, were known to prey on small animals.

“The little raven diet includes small vertebrates so a chihuahua puppy would probably fit that category,” Mr Harris said.

Googling "Raven Prey" (hyperlink, may find images disturbing) brings up a few photos with Raven's and similar sized prey to a young chihuahua. With momentum from swooping behind it, I could see a raven making off with fudge.

I confess, I think little dog owners must be pretty brave to take their dogs outside. So fragile! Someone around here has...it's like a mini-mini JRT puppy and at 3 months old could fit in your hand. Thistle's muzzle is bigger than it and the puppy couldn't fit his mouth around my thumb. Cute, but so tiny and fragile :(

Poor thing, how long does it have to put up with that every day. Sun Bear? Natural habitat in trees not among rocks/concrete.

That is only one corner of the exhibit... the rest is trees and other climbing logs, etc...

9782798014_89c701ce0c_z.jpg

... and the crow/raven was a one off... never seen anything like it before or since...

T.

Edited by tdierikx

Wonder if the raven was after nesting material?

I used to skydive, and the crows (Ravens?) during the breeding season would get very territorial towards the canopies as we came into land. I have never been swooped by a crow as a pedestrian/cyclist, but when these birds saw the parachute in the air, they used to go ballistic swooping at them. So much wasted energy gaining altitude so they could strike from above. I wonder if the Raven is mobbing the bear because it is outside the bird's experience of "safe"? In a similar vein, I investigated some mobbing noisy miners to find them swooping a poor koala. Normally it is a snake or cat, but koalas are now so rare here, that the birds saw one as an unfamiliar threat.

• 2 weeks later...

I just heard one really close and went to check, Secret was sitting in the doorway hesitant to go out, and I'm glad because the damn thing was sitting on the fence looking at her. She's over 2 kilos now so I'm hoping way too heavy for a crow or raven to carry off but I wonder if it was thinking it might just be able to tackle her on the ground and eat her there. :mad

What ever, this is one of the reasons I keep her locked indoors when I have to go out. I daren't leave her with access to outside when I'm not home.

Funny , I have never been concerned with crows taking any babies here ... must admit, have never seen them take anything mammalian alive , either . They will take eggs , dog food, oranges,catch insects tear off flesh from dead fish /animals ..and of course, remove eyes/soft tissue from ill or incapacitated animals.

Our pups are free range .. as chickens used to be , and kittens , years ago . Foxes were the main problem ..and feral cats .

Kirislin ..urban crows are more likely to be looking for dog bones/food scraps . There is no way a crow would tackle a dog .... they are just not equipped to hold/grab/kill - they have no talons , or curved beak .Their bones are very fine and legs can be easily shattered ...

yes, I believe they would pluck small nestling birds from a nest ..they are small and feeble , and mostly not more than a mouthful or two ... insects like grasshoppers..snails , and tiny rodents are also eaten .

As crows (ravens) usually eat where they find their food ( unless they have a nest and young) Expending energy on attacking something large is wasted unless the prey is in a very isolated area , where feeding can happen uninterrupted .

Don't worry about Secret :)

I've had my Chi attacked in the back yard by Currawong's. There is large group of them that live behind us in the trees and they come and steal the pups chicken wings and food any chance they get. My dog was lucky I was home to rescue him. They probably couldn't have carried him away but could have killed him (2kg's of dog)

Picture this for some giggles...

Friend's staffy cross decides to chase a cockatoo down the road... cocky's calls bring a number of it's friends to back it up... and they all chase the dog back up the street... poor dog is terrified of cockatoos now... lol!

T.