Crow Snatches Puppy From Kilsyth Backyard, Owner Collapses With Shock

Two Best Dogs!

Oh no! I'm so careful with letting my rabbits out back for similar reasons :( I hope he was let go and is found

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/outer-east/crow-snatches-puppy-from-kilsyth-backyard-owner-collapses-with-shock/news-story/b231e4d99429d7e3f1be97bdad15a0b9

A KILSYTH woman is shocked and devastated after her tiny puppy was stolen by a crow.

Heather Sinden’s four-month-old chihuahua, Fudge, was swooped upon by crows in the backyard of her Astor Court address this afternoon. The tiny dog can fit in the palm of someone’s hand.

RELATED: Mother forced to fight to get duckling back from crow

Heather’s daughter, Melinda Pride, said her mother had let the dog outside and had seen crows flocking around the yard.

“The dog was normally inside, she was just outside going to go to the toilet and Mum was quite concerned about the crows,” Melinda said.

“Then she heard her (Fudge) screaming and she was gone.”

Other Stories

Crow snatches puppy from backyard

Crow snatches puppy from backyard

Radical $1b plan to transform MCG

Radical $1b plan to transform MCG

It’s a war on aspiration: Turnbull

It’s a war on aspiration: Turnbull

Melinda said her mum, who had been battling lung cancer, was given the dog just two months ago to be a companion for her during a tough time.

“Mum was only saying a week or so ago ‘if anything happens to this little dog I don’t know what I’ll do’,” Melinda said.

“My mum actually collapsed from shock — she was very attached to the little dog.”

A crow snatched a duckling at Como Gardens in The Basin last year. Picture: Christopher Chan

Fudge’s family are praying for her safe return and requesting people keep an eye out for their beloved pet. They have taken to social media to try and find their precious pet.

Melinda said hopefully the dog landed safely and if so it was likely around the Timms Rd area in Kilsyth.

Have you seen Fudge? Call Leader Newspapers on 9875 8578 or email [email protected].

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen this on FB. It's devastating, and the amount of dickheads making a joke of it is just appalling. This was a fear of mine when Neko was still at the breeders as a puppy. The crows would sit on the fence and watch the puppies and I told Marcus I was afraid they'd try to take a puppy and he said I was being silly. I just knew it was possible by the way they used to look at them. Now I am worried about Secret because she is still pretty small, although I try not to let her outside unattended.

I dont think that woman will get her puppy back alive. :cry: The thought of how it must have died just horrifies me.

A couple of years ago I n Mole Creek in Tasmania I met a little dog, I think he was a Jack Russell from memory, who has snatched up one day by an eagle. It happened right in front of one of the owners. The eagle just plucked the dog off their field and flew off with him in its talons. They don't know how far he was taken, but he was found 10km or so away by a neighbour who recognised him and brought him home.

The dog was never the same: he became fearful and would bark at everything, but he survived and became a bit of a local celebrity. He is, or was, a very very brave little dog.

Hawks and eagles (separately) circle-stalk above my free range ducks every day. A fox (this is quite a while ago though) took a duck from the house yard in daylight, and when it was racing across a paddock with it, an eagle dived and took it from the fox and flew off with it, heavy duck too. Ravens were circling the yard just this morning, I have about forty week-old chickens and much as I can't stand poultry in the house, they are in the laundry because no-where outside is safe. The chook pens are too cold for chicks in this week's freezing galeforce winds, and none of our sheds are magpie-proof. Magpies are usually the main culprits: but I think the ravens can hear the chickens chirping and are looking out for them in the garden.

Frodo has been circle-stalked by eagles when out in the paddocks, he's only a small dog and I wouldn't let him go off rabbiting with Piper and Frodo, it's not unusual for an eagle or large hawk to take a small dog or pup. But I've not heard of a crow doing so - although the crows that used to flock around Mooroolbark Station near Kilsyth where this happened were a very pushy and confident group so it's not a surprise. Terribly sad, haunting experience for the owner.

Crows and Ravens are a lot smaller than eagles... How much does a (weaned)chihuahua puppy weigh? Most the corvids in Aus weigh around half a kilo.. They don't even have talons or a hooked beak to help them hold on to prey. The puppy would have been dropped close by.

My news feed is all agog about some kangaroo joey adopted by Police in WA being picked up by a Wedge Tailed Eagle but it was dropped pretty quickly as well.....

Crows and Ravens are a lot smaller than eagles... How much does a (weaned)chihuahua puppy weigh? Most the corvids in Aus weigh around half a kilo.. They don't even have talons or a hooked beak to help them hold on to prey. The puppy would have been dropped close by.

My news feed is all agog about some kangaroo joey adopted by Police in WA being picked up by a Wedge Tailed Eagle but it was dropped pretty quickly as well.....

Although much smaller and not equipped like a bird of prey, I am absolutely sure the woman is correct, that a crow took her puppy because I knew the way they were eyeballing Neko and her brothers as puppies. They'd sit on the fence and caw and watch the puppies with intense interest. Even Widget the mother realised and used to rush up to the fence to try to scare them off. She became quite stressed by them, so did I,

I cant stop thinking about the poor family of this little puppy. I dont think a crow would be able to kill it as quickly as an eagle could. :( It will haunt them forever.

crows and Magpies easily take on good sized rats, especially when they (the birds) are in numbers...I was always concerned with the kid's guinea pigs in the garden, but with their size they were safe.

we have also eagles in our area and once I noticed a pair of eagles showing some interest (change of direction and getting closer) in our dog while she was running off leash...I thought it was better to call her; with 17 kg they couldn't have carried her away, but their talons are deadly.

like daggers: http://www.badassoftheweek.com/haasteagle6.jpg

Apparently the puppy only weighed about 400g and could fit in an adult hand...

I just find it hard to think that a crow is capable of taking off with a puppy. Crows only weigh a bit over half a kilogram, and I don't think they carry things in their claws.

I know they can attack much bigger creatures (like sheep), but that's usually to take their eyes (sorry, TMI?).

In any case, I hope the puppy can be found.

Kookaburras are also known for swallowing whole rats ...but they take their time, a heron could do it faster and fly off immediately ...another possibility could be the neighbour's cat?

I'm the next burb over and get lots of Currawongs here. They could easily be mistaken for a crow and do kill little critters.

Currawongs are solitary but the news article said that she heard and saw multiple crows.

I have seen crows/ravens pick up field rats and baby bunnies and fly them back to the nest, presumably to feed babies or maybe just to keep away from non-family crows.

I'm the next burb over and get lots of Currawongs here. They could easily be mistaken for a crow and do kill little critters.

Currawongs are solitary but the news article said that she heard and saw multiple crows.

I have seen crows/ravens pick up field rats and baby bunnies and fly them back to the nest, presumably to feed babies or maybe just to keep away from non-family crows.

No one told my currawongs they are solitary as there are normally about 5 eating on the magnolia tree at a time.