Frequent Diarrhea In Puppy

Clarabelle76

Hi there

I have a 16 week old Labrador puppy who is in excellent health except for fairly regular diarrhea. At the moment it's happening every 2 weeks or so for a couple of days. She's fine otherwise, playful, FULL of energy and has a good appetite. There's no blood and it's not watery - just really loose.

I feed her chicken and rice for a day or so and she seems to get over it. I'm wondering if it's normal because of all the new bugs her body is being exposed to since we've been able to walk her after her final vaccinations, or, if she could possibly have something yucky, a parasite, or even food intolerance? She's up-to-date with worming, vaccinations and flea / tick treatments.

I will go to the vets if it happens again but wondered if anyone had experienced similar with their pup.

Many thanks

Clare

I changed the variety of dry dog food I was feeding to something slightly healthier and the fortnightly runs stopped. I don't know why it made a difference but I take what I can get.

So I was feeding advance chicken and something and I swapped to Nutro chicken and something and the runs stopped. Later I changed to Blackhawk lamb and rice - but the food was like flour - all crushed - several packs in a row so I changed back to Nutro - lamb and rice.

I also make my own dog food casserole from time to time and use the dry to supplement or as training treats.

I suspected whatever it was that caused the problem would slowly build up and then get flushed with the runs - and then slowly build up again.

What (dry) food are you feeding? - what are the first five ingredients on the pack. If any of them are wheat, corn or cereal byproducts you might want to consider trying something that doesn't have so much of that. Eg rice instead of corn or wheat, or there are even dry foods that are "Grain free".

and sometimes it's the protein. Eg your dog might do better with fish (and potato) instead of chicken and wheat.