Please Lock (Leaving Dog Alone For 9 Hours 4 Days A Week)

I am really wanting to get a dog by the end of the year, but the problem is I leave for school at 7 am and get back at 5pm. Even though I want to get a dog, I don't want to be selfish and make it feel like it has nothing to do while I'm away. So, I'm wondering if getting a dog and leaving it for almost 10 hours would be a viable option. And if so, what breed should I consider? Once I get back, majority of the time would be spent with it.

Edited by batmanforever

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only dog that would suit would be an older dog that is already used to those conditions - you can't do that with a puppy if you have no one as a backup.

If I get a puppy, I would get one when I have holidays for 2-3 weeks, so I can train the puppy. Even if I decide to go for an elder dog, what breed would you suggest? I was thinking of a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

2-3 month is definitely not enough!...even 2-3 months would be too short.

wrt CKCSs:...no experience with this breed (but others will help out...); as there won't be many dogs with the required criteria (older, trained, not too bored in case left alone for 10 hours) I wouldn't focus too much on a specific breed.

You also have to consider what you can offer for the 10 hours your are away: garden / backyard - is the garden safe?...or do you have to keep him in house all the time? ...crating the dog for 10 hours shouldn't be an option!

2-3 month is definitely not enough!...even 2-3 months would be too short.

wrt CKCSs:...no experience with this breed (but others will help out...); as there won't be many dogs with the required criteria (older, trained, not too bored in case left alone for 10 hours) I wouldn't focus too much on a specific breed.

You also have to consider what you can offer for the 10 hours your are away: garden / backyard - is the garden safe?...or do you have to keep him in house all the time? ...crating the dog for 10 hours shouldn't be an option!

Yeah, the backyard is safe, pretty large. And not much of a chance keeping him inside the house. And no, I would never crate it for 10 hours. Also, in the first sentence, did you mean weeks?

yep, sorry, meant '2-3 weeks' ...consider that dogs need 1-2 years to mature (depending on breed), if they lack the required training / learning for the first year it will be very hard to fix it when the dog is matured. Having not enough time for a pup is a good recipe for a problem dog.

In my opinion you are better with a puppy - don't take time off start it as you intend to continue. I often see people who get a puppy at the start of school holidays, everybody is home with it and the dog gets used to the constant company - problems happen when its time to change the routine and leave the dog alone.

Many people who work full time leave their dogs that long, but there are also a lot of bored, frustrated, lonely dogs in suburbia, howling mournfully and causing destruction.

So what do you do?

- First of all, as you have considered, you select the right breed but perhaps more specifically the right dog for you.

- Secondly, from the get go you train the dog to be ok without you for those hours.

- Thirdly, you get up early every morning to walk your dog before you leave and/or take it out again when you get home. Even when it's raining. Even when you're tired.

- Fourthly, you give your dog mental stimulation which will tire it out far more quickly than excessive exercise, which can create a cardio junkie. Think dog training, food dispenser toys and puzzle games.

- And finally, you provide enrichment activities for your dog to do while you are out. Normal, healthy dogs sleep at times throughout the day, but they need to have a life, too. You can take the dog to doggy daycare or hire a dog walker to take it out (the cost of a dog walker is cheap when you consider what you'd happily spend on other things for yourself), leave the dog with a stuffed Kong, hang a tyre from a tree, have a fun garden with lots of plants to sniff and wander through, hide treats or their regular meal throughout the garden for them to hunt out. Lots of ideas available online.

One option would be to adopt a senior from rescue, who I'm sure would love to spend their retirement years with you. For example, take a look at gorgeous Grace:

http://saveadog.org.au/animals-adoptions/dog/all/1410/

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/261854-saturday-senior/page__st__300 (Last two posts)

At 7am its still pretty cold outside, and by late arvo too, hard for a pup to be chucked outside that early.

Also Cavs are people dogs, not really outside alone dogs.

I think getting an older dog who is used to being left while owners are at work is best, rather than trying to match breed.

You need to make sure there is plenty of shelter, warm bedding and shade for summer too.

Last time you asked about breeds you said that there was someone at home all the time. Isn't that the case now? You aren't giving the people reading this enough info :) Have your parents said OK to a dog now?

In my opinion you are better with a puppy - don't take time off start it as you intend to continue. I often see people who get a puppy at the start of school holidays, everybody is home with it and the dog gets used to the constant company - problems happen when its time to change the routine and leave the dog alone.

I think the associated risks are too high - if the pup starts to become an annoying barker, how does the OP want to correct this? ...what about the 'destruction phase' when they start investigating everything?...o.k. a safe kennel in the garden might be option here, but would require further investments.

I always love these posts, so many people work full time and are successful in owning dogs, but are made out to be horrible owners because of it

Pick a breed that suits your needs, you may have to arrange someone to come visit during the first few weeks, but the chances are high that everything will turn out fine.

I got my dogs when I was working 50 or more hours a week and living alone with no one else home to check on them. They grew up totally fine with my working hours.

Totally agree!

I always love these posts, so many people work full time and are successful in owning dogs, but are made out to be horrible owners because of it

Pick a breed that suits your needs, you may have to arrange someone to come visit during the first few weeks, but the chances are high that everything will turn out fine.

I got my dogs when I was working 50 or more hours a week and living alone with no one else home to check on them. They grew up totally fine with my working hours.

no one is criticising people who are leaving dogs on their own due to work commitments! ...of course it can work out fine, in your case with more than one dog the risk of boredom was likely anyway minimized. However, IMO, there is also a relative high risk to create a 'problem' dog, the ones that end up in the pounds at the end...

I think the associated risks are too high - if the pup starts to become an annoying barker, how does the OP want to correct this? ...what about the 'destruction phase' when they start investigating everything?...o.k. a safe kennel in the garden might be option here, but would require further investments.

Well I reckon Ive placed hundreds of dogs with people who work or go to school and its all manageable and works out just fine though I wouldn't recommend it or allow it for a Maremma.

an other option would be to engage a dog walker for the first months ... or get the neighbours involved somehow. What you definitely don't want is coming home from work and have to deal with a pissed off neighbour because the dog was barking the whole day...

Last time you asked about breeds you said that there was someone at home all the time. Isn't that the case now? You aren't giving the people reading this enough info :) Have your parents said OK to a dog now?

You remember me. <3 Haha.

Yeah, position has changed at home, and I'm about to receive my allergy report, as long as I'm not allergic to anything, I can get a dog.