Advice Needed - Lactating Mum

Bindi Jayne

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong area but needing advice.

I have a Bull Arab girl who had 9 pups via emergency c-section just under 4 weeks ago.

She has some unusual spots of "thin skin" and one of her nipples is right in the middle of one. Lactating has caused this particular area to become extremely distended and it is starting to almost look like it is tearing at the edges. I am feeding the pups but she has a lot of stress in being separated from them. It hurts her to feed but she keeps going in. She already has been on a course of antibiotics for mastitis 12 days after whelping. She has no temp, eating well, generally well but her poor breast area is sore to touch, due to the wounds and if she does get into the pen feeding puppies are causing bleeding.

I have had her separated most of the day but is there anything i can do to help until we get to the vet in the morning.

Thanks

Bee

the nipple itself and surrounds are fine, not hard, not hot, not painful. It is the borders where the thin skin meets her standard skin that is the problem. I intend taking her to the vet first thing. the pups have been on solids for nearly a week trying to get them weaned. I am keep ing a close eye on temp etc. it is just is there anything i can apply to the broken skin to give her some comfort, keep it protected for the next 8 hrs

I would phone your vet and ask if it would be safe to apply plastic skin spray bandage (available from Chemists) to those border areas given that it needs to be safe for puppies mouthing it as well as safe for the bitch.