Puppy 'accidents' On Carpets Only

yyyenn

Hi all!

I have an 9 week old puppy and she is basically pretty good with her potty training already.

I take her out every hour to our potty porch and she does her potty there almost immediately.

I think she knows that the potty porch is her toilet, so she doesn't wee or poop on the floor.

However, when we have accidents, it would be on carpets, and carpets only. I think it's because the texture of the carpet and the synthetic grass is quite similar (soft, not hard like our floor and her crate).

Do you guys have any advice on deterring her to have 'accidents' on carpets? Or am I just being too paranoid and just have to wait for more time as she is still learning? and just be more persistent and give more treats and praise whenever she does her potty on her potty porch? (I mean, she is still 9 weeks old.....)

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Luna

my 'preferred' explanation why most dogs prefer softer ground for pees and poos is that it is harder to remove :D . Peeing and pooing is also communication and marking - it sound plausible that - if the dog e.g. marks his territory - he wants that the message can be read for a long time. Poo or pee on a flat rocky surface (or on bitumen / paver today) can easily bee washed away. Hence - so my theory - evolution taught them that it is better to find the right spot on softer ground where the 'message' stays for longer.

Our pup likes the carpet too. Luckily, all of my apartment is tiled except the bedrooms. So I keep him out of the bedroom except at night when he's in his crate. Not an option for everyone of course, just saying you're not alone with your pup liking carpet!

Edited by Hetty

Thank you all so much for the reply!!

Showdog -> At the moment she is reliant on us to take her to the potty parch. I guess that's also because the balcony is closed sometimes (our fault :( it's winter now and its freezing if we open the balcony). But she cries when she wants to go outside so we can kinda guess when she wants to do it, which helps us a lot to prevent accidents.

Do you think she can go by herself in the future? Do you have any recommendation on what sort of training so that she can go there by herself in the future?

Hetty -> yep! same here! but we have a rug on the living room and we have to be so careful whenever she goes near the rug!

Willem -> that is so true. I guess it's in their instinct to do it at places where it's harder to remove.

The spotted devil -> photos!post-54744-0-80453600-1466591840_thumb.jpg

post-54744-0-15978600-1466591829_thumb.jpg

Also, another question for you guys. Do you guys have our puppies walk and run freely inside your house? Or do you have them inside the crate 50% of the time?

I read that it's good not to give them too much freedom at first, but I am confused on what is too much freedom?

At the moment we have her inside the crate when we are not at home (arnd 3 hrs per day) or when we need to do sth and can't supervise her. Otherwise she is normally outside.

What do you guys suggest?

Thank you so much all!

• 2 weeks later...

I put Lloyd in a crate at night only when we go to bed. I let him out in the middle of the night for a wee. During the day he can go in his crate as he pleases and is sectioned off into one part of the house with a baby gate.

And what a cutie!

Edited by Hetty

I put Lloyd in a crate at night only when we go to bed. I let him out in the middle of the night for a wee. During the day he can go in his crate as he pleases and is sectioned off into one part of the house with a baby gate.

And what a cutie!

We did this, and still use the baby gate at 15 months. Gives the cats a chance to sleep undisturbed and "protects" the kitty litter. We've just recommenced a chewing stage, so it keeps things safe and sound in the bedroom. Love my baby gate!!!

Pup is adorable, by the way!!