Harness Help

pheenyx

I have a pup that has hated collar since she came home. I tried keeping it on her when she first came home but after 2 weeks I gave up and took it off her. She is now 7 months old and still acts up when we go for walks, As soon as we stop she is on the ground rolling around even scratched the side of her face on the cement (Kinda like how the dry themselves). Last week I brought her an Ezydog quick fit harness she has been doing alot better but hates it under her armpits. She ends up walking like a stiff legged Zombie with her back arched :(.

I would love some suggestions on a harness that doesn't sit under the armpit or any other methods I can use please. Even suggestions on how to get her to like her collar? Collar would be helpful when we start Lure coursing and sheep herding

Edited by pheenyx

I use a martingale collar (nylon) without a buckle that I can just slip over - it's adjusted that it doesn't choke when it's tight, hence normally it sits very, very loose. Sitting loose might help your dog to accept it easier. No matter whether your dog likes it or not - she has to get used to it. Try to distract her, treats, games (best you only play with her after fitting the collar) and persistence.

Make the collar AWESOME. First off, make sure it fits well and is comfy, is she longer coated or short?

Second of all you want the collar to be around when all the good stuff happens, things like put collar on the floor and put threats in and around it, hold collar in the air and a treat behind to encourage your dog to put her nose through it to get the treats, put it on at mealtimes and off again after, stretching the duration longer and longer each time without stressing her out, of course.

http://iheartdogs.com/help-my-dog-hates-collars-the-best-way-to-put-a-collar-on-your-dog/

Here is a good article that breaks it down a bit more.

I am sure other more experienced people will have some good ideas too!

LOL -

it's not the dog who is the one to decide what happens - it's YOU.

She needs to wear a collar , if only to hold the ID details .

if she is not walking well - then both of you would probably benefit from some classes - where you will see others behaving in a similar fashion, and learn how to manage it :)

As said - collar training - and it IS training - not just whack a collar on ..then take it off if puppy gets narky ;) Takes a bit of work , and a lot of fun :)

use her food /treats/games .

look - a collar ! TREAT when she looks . repeat, repeat

Look - when you have collar rest on your body - you get fed! repeat repeat ..

presuming teh dog can sit nicely ..then , with her reward for sitting - a loose collar is slipped over her head ..land the BEST food morsel happens

Before cuddles on the couch -COLLAR on

Before a meal - COLLAR ON

Do not walk her outside on teh road yet ... rather practise in the house/backyard .....and do NOT let her win . No matter how much she bucks/rubs,scratches ..that collar stays ON , until she gives up and lies down quietly for a few minutes ....this is IMPORTANT >

She knows you will remove the collar if she does A, B or C ....She needs to learn that you won't. Simple.

She also needs to learn that Collar = good stuff :)

D0 NOT react when she's fussing - obviously unless she is being injured ;

Thank you all for the suggestions I will give them all a go.

I have always had dogs in my life and she is the 1st one I have had problems with collars..

Steph M she is a fairly long coated dog (Border collie)

Willem we did try a loose type made collar and she was to smart and gets it off.

Persephone Thank you heaps she is a bit spoilt but has had a fair amount of training despite her hate for the collar. I will have a look into some more Obedience classes for her as the last place I wasn't happy with.

I will let you all know how we go during the week with progress :)

Make the collar AWESOME. First off, make sure it fits well and is comfy, is she longer coated or short?

Second of all you want the collar to be around when all the good stuff happens, things like put collar on the floor and put threats in and around it, hold collar in the air and a treat behind to encourage your dog to put her nose through it to get the treats, put it on at mealtimes and off again after, stretching the duration longer and longer each time without stressing her out, of course.

http://iheartdogs.com/help-my-dog-hates-collars-the-best-way-to-put-a-collar-on-your-dog/

Here is a good article that breaks it down a bit more.

I am sure other more experienced people will have some good ideas too!

This .... Experiences with the collar should only be good ones, until she learns that having the collar on means awesome things are about to happen :)

Some dogs are oddly sensitive. One of mine is okay with a collar, but hates getting a harness on. I have tried about 4 different types. So, he gets paid every time he gets his harness on. Every time. He will tolerate it, now, and will even come over to put his own head through, but he doesn't enjoy it, even if I give him super tasty treats every time. Doing it more in that case is not going to help him. Pairing it with every good thing is not going to help him. He just needs to cooperate to get it on, get his payment, and move on. If I ever stop paying him, he stops cooperating sooner or later.

Some dogs are oddly sensitive. One of mine is okay with a collar, but hates getting a harness on. I have tried about 4 different types. So, he gets paid every time he gets his harness on. Every time. He will tolerate it, now, and will even come over to put his own head through, but he doesn't enjoy it, even if I give him super tasty treats every time. Doing it more in that case is not going to help him. Pairing it with every good thing is not going to help him. He just needs to cooperate to get it on, get his payment, and move on. If I ever stop paying him, he stops cooperating sooner or later.

I have one of those sensitive ones as well. Just ok with putting a collar on no matter whether I loop it gently over his head or clip it on. Even worse with a harness over his head despite it being paired with his favourite things - awesome treats and going for a drive somewhere. He's not scared of it, he clearly doesn't like how it feels for those few seconds. He tolerates both as he seems to understand it's a means to an end - it means we're going somewhere, and once it's on he's totally fine with it. Checked regularly and he's not sore.

Makes me wonder if it's like having your hair up all day and then taking it out - doesn't hurt or anything, just an odd sensation - but some are more sensitive to it than others?