Puppy Always Sniffing

yyyenn

Hello everyone,

I have an 11 weeks puppy and she's settling down pretty well in our house.

Her potty training has been going really well as well, no accidents for the past 2 weeks! So we are very pleased, but it doesn't mean we can relax yet.

Anyway, starting from this week or so she likes to sniff, and I mean sniff! At fist we thought she just wants to go potty so we would take her outside and let her do her business.

However, she would still sniff when we take her back inside even though she has done her potty (either wee or poop). Or sometimes she just doesn't want to wee or poop (we would be in the balcony for around 20mins and still nothing). When she does this sniffing business, it would sometimes distract her play time because she would play halfway then she gets distracted because she wants to sniff everything! especially the floor, regardless whether its carpet or timber floor or the balcony floor when we take her outside to potty.

Has anyone had or heard this problem before?

Any feedback and advise would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Oh My ;) a perfectly normal inquisitive puppy is what you have :)

A dog's nose is how it learns about its world.

They sniff everything .

Everything .

There is SO much for a puppy to sniff/learn about !! Human sweat /dust/ food crumbs/droplets of all sorts of things ... particles on your shoe soles transferred to the floor ...cleaning products ...

:)

You might enjoy reading this :

CLICK HERE

if your puppy is confined to indoors and a balcony - she will probably appreciate much MORE sniffing exercise -- bet she loves to be taken out into the big world to sniff the air , the car, everything passing by as you carry or walk her :) !

She might LOVE one of these, too : SNUFFLE MAT

Also remember - puppies don't have fingertips to learn about textures and temperatures - they use their mouths! :)

Sniffing is great! As Perse said, you have a perfectly normal, delightful puppy. :)

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/take-your-dog-on-a-sniff

http://dogzandtheirpeoplez.com/2016/06/10/let-sniffing-dogz-sniff/

Second the snuffle mat idea :thumbsup:

And puzzle toys, hunting out food, snuffle gardens, so much to do and explore! :D

If there's a Nosework class near you (and there are more now than listed in the below article), I bet she'd LOVE that too.

http://www.dogslife.com.au/dog-news/dog-training/canine-sport-nosework

Edited by Papillon Kisses

Oh My ;) a perfectly normal inquisitive puppy is what you have :)

A dog's nose is how it learns about its world.

They sniff everything .

Everything .

There is SO much for a puppy to sniff/learn about !! Human sweat /dust/ food crumbs/droplets of all sorts of things ... particles on your shoe soles transferred to the floor ...cleaning products ...

:)

You might enjoy reading this :

CLICK HERE

if your puppy is confined to indoors and a balcony - she will probably appreciate much MORE sniffing exercise -- bet she loves to be taken out into the big world to sniff the air , the car, everything passing by as you carry or walk her :) !

She might LOVE one of these, too : SNUFFLE MAT

Also remember - puppies don't have fingertips to learn about textures and temperatures - they use their mouths! :)

Thank you so much! Yes, she just had her final vaccination on Wed so I'll be able to take her out for a walk next week which is very exciting!

Now the only time when she's outside is when we take her to the balcony, backyard or when I go around the block carrying her in my tote bag :) so I think she'll be sniffing everything once she I'm able to take out for a first walk!

I'll have a read on the link, thanks again!!

Sniffing is great! As Perse said, you have a perfectly normal, delightful puppy. :)

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/take-your-dog-on-a-sniff

http://dogzandtheirpeoplez.com/2016/06/10/let-sniffing-dogz-sniff/

Second the snuffle may idea :thumbsup:

And puzzle toys, hunting out food, snuffle gardens, so much to do and explore! :D

If there's a Nosework class near you (and there are more now than listed in the below article), I bet she'd LOVE that too.

http://www.dogslife.com.au/dog-news/dog-training/canine-sport-nosework

Thank you so much!

I'll definetely have a look at Nosework class for her :)

I'm sure she'll enjoy them!

..and I am presuming you researched Shibas VERY well before getting this pup ?

in case you have not - PLEASE ensure your balcony is ROOFED -shibas are amongst the most agile of dogs , and can jump & climb remarkably well. they are also expert at thinking thru problems on their own...being a spitz breed, they can be independent thinkers , which can make expecting 'obedience' a bit frustrating .

I love these dogs - never owned one though . :)

some of her sniffing may be due to the breed being originally a hunting breed.. :)

• 2 weeks later...

..and I am presuming you researched Shibas VERY well before getting this pup ?

in case you have not - PLEASE ensure your balcony is ROOFED -shibas are amongst the most agile of dogs , and can jump & climb remarkably well. they are also expert at thinking thru problems on their own...being a spitz breed, they can be independent thinkers , which can make expecting 'obedience' a bit frustrating .

I love these dogs - never owned one though . :)

some of her sniffing may be due to the breed being originally a hunting breed.. :)

Yes, I have researched about shibas 6 months prior getting my pup knowing what people say about them, I wanted to make I'm ready for the pup :)

thanks for the heads up :)