Injured Paw Pads In Puppy

Olithebc

So dad decided to have our 6mo border collie puppy chase the ute up the hill on a rocky, rough road on the farm. He now has tears in his paw pads! I have cleaned them and was wondering what else to do for him? The cuts are not bleeding but it is obviously painful for my poor puppy.

if they aren't bleeding - they'll probably be fine :) Whatever you put on he'll lick off ..Just let him decide whether to rest or walk :)

Sounds as if pup needs some rough ground training , so his pads toughen up a bit .Soft ,soft pads are also prone to getting more prickles :(

Injured paw pads are such a bugger and BCs are so bad for doing them. I would keep his exercise to soft surfaces so they have time to heal. They can take ages and ages unfortunately :(. I would suggest investing in a pair of boots if he runs on that sort of terrain often but being a puppy he is probably still growing as well. You can use kids baby socks over his feet to provide some protection while they heal.

Edited by ness

And just as an aside, I don't know that having a young BC chase a motor vehicle is a great idea. It can become a dangerous habit if the dog is one of the many herding breed dogs that have a high propensity to chase/obsess. Have had to manage a car chasing BC all her life .. even at 14, she'll still get a glint in her eye and get ready to chase occasionally .. although I think now she's teasing me as much as anything. We're also trying to deal with a couple of obsessive/lost the brain chasing dogs at dog club .. the Kelpie .. it's vehicles, and the ?KelpiexBC it's flying birds. In both cases it's a real pain.

Just something to think about.