Puppy Eating Problems

Jacobm

Hi everyone. We've had dogs before but these are our first puppies. So anyway a couple days ago we got 2 five month old purebred red kelpies. Brother and sister. They're both healthy and all and at first there were no issues with them eating but we have noticed that when they are playing the girl will really bite into the boys neck or ear and hurt him. Also, when they eat at first they were fine and then the girl started trying to take the boys food and now it's at the point where he won't even eat she just has to look at him and he'll walk away and leave the food. I stayed home today to try to sort it out and the only thing I could get him to eat was an egg and I had to put him in the laundry with her outside and feed it to him. I'm not sure why she is doing this as they have been together all their life and it could be a real problem.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

-Jacob

Hi :)

OK - feed both pups separately - well out of sight of each other .

make sure they are both getting training sessions and walks singly .

Use the same food they are used to .. and use the same place to feed them .. don't make a fuss - just put them in their rooms ..then feed them , pick up bowls and let them out . Same with bone chewing sessions etc .

Hopefully the breeder can also give you some suggestions?

and some reading material for you - regarding getting two pups at the same time ...

LINK

LINK

and - just because they are of the same blood /litter - that doesn't mean they have to like each other .

Thanks for the reply. We have tried feeding them separately but he still won't eat the food. I know that he is hungry cause he doesn't eat much and when we got them they would eat really quickly and eat a lot

seems as if he is very unsure , being in a new space, and with the other pup being pushy :(

just keep offering his two or three meals a day - same place, same time - don't hover - let him be for 10 minutes - then just remove food, and try again next meal.

have they had their "Hi, Vet - I have two new pups- are they OK ?" checkup yet ? Vaccinations ?

You need to feed apart ,he will soon learn ,chances are they have never been feed apart .

If he hasn't eaten in the laundry before feed him where he normally was & put her else where but don't make a fuss & hoover over him whilst he eats .

Sounds like she is going to be a bossy girl so set the rules early.

They are now at an age where there confidence is maturing ,living together since pups doesn't mean they are the perfect match for each other so its important like already mentioned to do sep walks & training & learn what turns on each pup