Nosework: Great For Dogs!

Scottsmum

Hey everybody...

Just got home from a noseworks theory workshop. I think I would very much like to do this! So much so, I bought the 3 scent kit so we can get started on recognising the first scent.

Looking forward to the practical and they even said a private session could happen. Happy to wait for a a whole class though so I can meet people though, unless the next one isn't until 2017 ;)

My head hurts. So much information! Very nice bunch of people though. An activity to do with my dog that builds confidence and thinking with a non-uber-competitive-atmosphere?

:thumbsup:

YAY!

Welcome to the family! I loooooooooooooove Nose works!

Scottsmum we have converted another! :D :cheer:

In all seriousness though, I am so excited for Thistle! I have seen some amazing transformations in shy or anxious dogs when they start nosework. :)

Me too - I've seen DA dogs relax too.

YAY!

Welcome to the family! I loooooooooooooove Nose works!

Scottsmum we have converted another! :D :cheer:

In all seriousness though, I am so excited for Thistle! I have seen some amazing transformations in shy or anxious dogs when they start nosework. :)

Haha I have a few other ulterior reasons in addition to a happy thistle but the suggestions in my activity thread were the final straw and since I want to do the different activity of tracking in the long run anyway (and just find detector dog studies in the whole to be incredibly fascinating), might as well do noseworks.

Just needed to ponder it for a bit ????

Edited by Thistle the dog

In our Introduction to Nosework class, the instructor often had Malcolm run first. It was explained that because he loved it so much, he would leave a bunch of happy hormones in the room for the anxious Labrador that followed him, and that these smells would help the Lab relax. I found it delightful that my dog reactive boy could help another of his kind. :)

That Labrador was very anxious at first. He'd flatten himself to the ground if another human walked near him. He was all crouched up and tentative as if walking on ice and he was even scared of the boxes. By the end his whole demeanor had changed. His body language was loose, he had a happy tail wag, and he even let he instructor pat him. That Malcolm may have played a small part in that makes me happy.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Thistle comes along. :)

Edited by Papillon Kisses

• 5 weeks later...

Not going to the sniff and go but I was at that party !! In the morning. And your little one must be the chi Rosie mentioned tonight while explaining what a sniff and go is!

Didn't realise you were local, great classes aren't they. I have a Kelpie doing intro to odour but planning on taking my chi next year. She'd love it and something she can play with instead of it always being the very enthusiastic Kelpie. Hope our paths might cross one day,

Edited by skip

Not going to the sniff and go but I was at that party !! In the morning. And your little one must be the chi Rosie mentioned tonight while explaining what a sniff and go is!

Didn't realise you were local, great classes aren't they. I have a Kelpie doing intro to odour but planning on taking my chi next year. She'd love it and something she can play with instead of it always being the very enthusiastic Kelpie. Hope our paths might cross one day,

Haha awesome, and yes that would definitely be us! Rosie was so excited when I said we were going, LOL. We're not exactly local, we travel, but it's worth it! :D Moving on up to Intro to Odour in the new year. Your Chi will have so much fun! :D

Malcolm was hilarious with the outdoor search. He got so revved up he refused to properly toilet, them couldn't resist going three times during the search. ???? But of course didn't want to stop did he, so on one of his breaks he broke into the hall by pushing the chair aside and slipping through the cracked door, then completely flattened himself on the floor refusing to leave. :laugh:

Oh and in the indoor search he twice jumped up on one of the camping beds sending it skidding along the floor like he was surfing on it, and he didn't care whatsoever as he was at Nosework! That sort of thing would make him bolt and cower elsewhere.

I think I've worked out his harness patches. One side Malcolm, the other side Workaholic. :D

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I last posted here.

The Sniff n Go was so much fun! Highly recommended. Though I do NOT recommend accidentally locking your dog in the car with the windows all closed on a hot day. Thankfully the NRMA was very close by and prioritised us! Mind you when they got him out the car was still nice and cool thanks to all my prep!

Our indoor search was a bit of a write off but I did learn from it. He immediately found the first hide when he walked in the door (it was right at the threshold) but I put him off going to it by doing the start line procedure I normally do. He apparently knew there was a hide on a stuffed elf too but was also put off by that. In the end he didn't indicate anything in the time given so I assume he was a bit stressed and lacking in confidence. I was probably still keyed up after the car shenanigans too which wouldn't have helped.

The outdoor search went well though, he was only two seconds slower than the dog who was fastest overall on the day! We got some great photos too including a few of him with his little snout shoved into a Christmas cracker haha. I also got complimented on how I worked the wind.

We started Intro to Odour (Birch) on Wednesday and it was so great to be back! Malcolm was so unbelievably excited, he was crying in the car and trying to break out!

Interestingly, he found the first hide immediately but did not take his treats. He seemed put off by the birch scent and confused about what we had done to his favourite game. He was fine from then on, though, and bounced back quickly after knocking a box over.

Yesterday he was much improved anxiety-wise. I am sure his nose work class had a lot to do with it.

We are trying to enroll in another workshop, the next beginners level isn't until March so Thistle and I been trying to go it alone at home. We did find someone on instagram who is local to us who also does noseworks, with the same club but further along, so been asking them for advice and showing them videos. They also know all the best secret waterholes lol.

Thistle gets SO excited about the smell of birch now that she hits my little metal container about and I fear I have shaped "lick the container" as the indicator. Not ideal, so just trying to shape a more calm indicator that doesn't involve punching, hitting, licking or spinning in circles on top of it.

Ridiculous dog.

43 minutes ago, Thistle the dog said:

We are trying to enroll in another workshop, the next beginners level isn't until March so Thistle and I been trying to go it alone at home. We did find someone on instagram who is local to us who also does noseworks, with the same club but further along, so been asking them for advice and showing them videos. They also know all the best secret waterholes lol.

Thistle gets SO excited about the smell of birch now that she hits my little metal container about and I fear I have shaped "lick the container" as the indicator. Not ideal, so just trying to shape a more calm indicator that doesn't involve punching, hitting, licking or spinning in circles on top of it.

Ridiculous dog.

As least sges obvious :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd share this from K9 nosetime in Sydney: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1347685451956934&id=494769087248579

"Our next term of classes will begin the first week of March in a variety of locations. The Online class registrations will open Feb 5th at https://www.k9nosetime.com/upcoming-events/

If you do not live close enough to attend classes, we highly recommend Kim Buchanan,  online K9 Nose Work® courses.

Here’s a little bit about Kim Buchanan, CNWI who offers ONLINE K9 Nose Work® education at joyridek9.education.

I feel a little silly posting this since I feel like I've been around forever but I realize not everyone knows who I am, so... I am a founding member of K9NW, one of the first 7 CNWI with NACSW, Certifying Official and Judge, senior faculty, behind the scenes, etc. with the Education AND Trial divisions of NACSW, had the very first NW3 and NW3 Elite dog (Miss Emmy!) and now I have TWO of the Elite dogs currently standing in the top 15 for the NACSW National Invitational this year. So yes, I've been around a bit. 

To learn more, please go to  
http://joyridek9.education/enrollment/

• Like 1

• Troy unlocked this topic