Nosework: Great For Dogs!

Scottsmum

We tried nosework properly for the first time last weekend (rather than trying blind at home alone via the internet) It was fantastic!
Nova was a natural! He was very methodical and putting his head right into every box to have a good sniff, Looking forward to our next class!

16299519_10154470384295787_2767977093207

Last week in class Malcolm became quite stressed trying to find two out of three hides. Both were moved to easier spots while he wasn't looking, but one remained too hard for him to find so we had to abandon it. We were still able to finish on a good note with him finding the other one that had been made easier and receiving a huge jackpot.

I saw this article posted on the Aussie Noseworkers group this week which was a good reminder that it's ok to abandon searches, like we did, when the dog is getting stressed.

Being stressed looks different on each dog. Malcolm was whining and looking at me a lot, and he progressed to jumping up on me. On another dog this week, it presented as being flat and disinterested, losing focus, and toileting when she ordinarily wouldn't. I know a dog who performs random tricks when he's stressed!

Anyway, this week we did one non-paired search and Malcolm put his head right into the boxes with birch in them! An exciting moment.

56 minutes ago, LisaCC said:

We tried nosework properly for the first time last weekend (rather than trying blind at home alone via the internet) It was fantastic!
Nova was a natural! He was very methodical and putting his head right into every box to have a good sniff, Looking forward to our next class!

16299519_10154470384295787_2767977093207

Well done Nova you clever boy! How exciting to be at your first class. You two are going to have so much fun!

Not sure if this helps or not but in the article linked above it says :  

Simply put, it’s better to end a search than to show your dog where the hide is or prolong the search time which can result in a stressed dog. Our dogs are quick to pick up on our cues and will realize we know where the hides are and able to help them get their reward. Once they know/think we can help, they will ask! And when it gets stressful at a trial that is what they will default to. We never want them to know we know where the hide is. We can’t emphasize this enough. We want them to “drive” the search and grow as independent searchers. Have it be your goal that your dog truly believes they can find every hide even if they don’t. If you help them or continue searching past the point of their ability, then they will begin to lose confidence and odor will lose value.

Interesting point Roova. 

I've never shown Scottie where the hide is, but in the early stages it was kind of OK to cough or kick a box or stand in the general area if we knew (or the instructor) told us where the hide was. 

I think the other thing is you have to remember that even if we know the scent is in a particular spot we have no F'ing idea how that odour is actually behaving - so it's better for us to have a protocol in place which lets the dog re-search the area rather than rely on us show them. & hopefully they don't get too stressed with that.

• Like 1

ORT Prep & Considerations

Because we might just give it a go! :o

SYDNEY

3 Odour ORT (Odour Recognition Test) on Sunday May 21 then

NW1 TRIAL Sunday August 6th then

the first Australian NW2 TRIAL on Sunday Oct 15th

For further info check out K9 Nose Time on Facebook or ACSW. :thumbsup:

Oh and for the Victorians amongst us Helping Hounds / K9 Nose Fun are also running an ORT on 2nd April.

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha so I broached the idea of doing our Birch ORT in May and I think I freaked out our instructor. :o

But she walked us through one using closed egg cartons and Mal and I blitzed it! Obviously that's considerably easier than fully enclosed boxes but it is three months away.

So we'll see. I have some practice boxes that look similar to the ORT ones and instuctions on what to do, but there are no more classes for us to attend until they start up a NW1 class as I have zero desire to travel to Castle Hill. :o

---

It occurred to me recently @Thistle the dog, are you odour that's been certified by Australian Canine Scent Work? It matters if you wish to do Nose Work trials at some point.

Heya, I believe so but I'll double check at our next prac. I bought the kit and scents off them to make sure I got the right version of Birch. We've just been differentiating between items with scent/no scent but minimal hiding yet. She sees a box and gets so excited, flips it and the scent goes flying :o well at least she is enthusiastic

• Like 1

A bit off topic but probably not worth a full thread on it's own. Some sniffy observations.

I've been sitting two dogs lately. A few weeks ago for a long weekend & again this weekend - I was on notice for a family thing that was coming.  I probably wont see them again now til the Queens Birthday weekend. Anyhow - these two dogs are pretty good - lets call them M1 and M2.  M1 is a lab (maybe cross - he's a bit more red than I'm used to) and M2 is a Hunterway cross (according to my friend and the exposure I've had to two now) a breed known to be VERY vocal!

M2 is a demon - She's full of attitude. She's got a bark which can shake you to your core and she pulls like a bloody train, she's just just unstoppable - she hurt my back and gave me rope burn the first time I sat/walked her (I was warned but you can never really be prepared). This time she also gave me a run for my money - to the point where I was dreading walking her after the first night as we saw a cat in the local scrub where I was taking them.  Last time I sat her I tried to tired her out first with fetch but she can even bark with a full sized tennis ball in her mouth!

This time I thought I'd try some sniffing activities first - aka scatter feeding them.  So I fed their dry to them piece by piece at both meal times - taking about 30 minutes to get through the meal -as opposed to 2 seconds! Followed by their walk. I also divided up some of their wet this morning too and asked for a sit before throwing each piece in an opposite direction and letting them hunt it out in the grass or on one of their rugs. Other than the fact it took them a bit of time to cotton on to what I was doing (I tried a handful at first but they lost a lot of the dry - LOL) they seemed to really enjoy it - coming back to a sit when they were ready and anticipating the next bit.

BUT...  The best bit is  - significantly reduced barking - really significantly reduced and a much nicer walk (for me and I hope them). They were still pulling a tiny bit  - but i could pull them back with just my arm (not my whole back), and I didn't have to anchor M2 to me with a spare leash  like I did last time. I also noticed they were so much more engaged with their surroundings - nose to the ground sniffing, following scent trails and more willing to engage with me when I said their name - not just on some hell bent mission to cover ground and "go somewhere").

Anyhow - like I said - not ground breaking but really interesting and such a valuable reminder on the importance and value of enrichment - even if it's something as simple as taking some extra time for a scatter feed. 

Edit to add: The owners are home tonight and asked me to just pop down and leave left over food - they'll feed when they get home around 9pm. I did offer to feed at a nicer hour but they declined so I said I'd take the dogs for a quick walk - as a freebie. Well the difference in them was huge - day and night!  M2 was mouthy, barking at me for no reason. Neither would listen to me, no interest in doing as asked, pull, pull, pull the whole time.  :/

Edited by Scottsmum
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • Troy unlocked this topic