Nosework: Great For Dogs!

Scottsmum

Tempeh already gets most of her kibble meals through puzzle toys but I see Nosework as taking it to a new level. I really want to try this but still haven't been able to find anyone up this way doing it (except for the RSPCA but I can't bring myself to use them).

:offtopic:

Food puzzle ideas from the days when Mal burnt through an extraordinary amount of food being anxious. :eek:

More for the beginner dog than the Nina Ottosson puzzle solver extraordinaire. :grimace: Also my apologies if these files are huge I am technologically challenged.

image_zpsn5nxd2ft.jpeg

image_zpsey3mcin4.jpeg

The above can be made more or less difficult by making extra flaps in the lid and closing them.

Back onto Noseworks...

Have you thought of doing a Fenzi course, LG? You can order Nosework supplies from Alert Pets.

Tempeh already gets most of her kibble meals through puzzle toys but I see Nosework as taking it to a new level. I really want to try this but still haven't been able to find anyone up this way doing it (except for the RSPCA but I can't bring myself to use them).

All Paws Paradise at Pimpama :) Also hosting Fred Helfers from the US for Nosework seminars at the beginning of October.

Have you thought of doing a Fenzi course, LG? You can order Nosework supplies from Alert Pets.

Food puzzles aren't strictly off topic ;) I used to put kibble into a loo roll centre, smoosh the ends closed then put that in an empty cereal box :)

On topic - certainly not poo-pooing the idea but I tried the fenzi courses and couldnt follow along - I find it really hard to absorb the info then teach it to Scottie.

I have some great notes (not fenzi, someone elses) which I can share - but I don't have them at the moment. I loaned them to a mate. Must get them back.

All Paws Paradise at Pimpama :) Also hosting Fred Helfers from the US for Nosework seminars at the beginning of October.

Rumour they have no course listed since June (also nothing on their FB page since June). I tried to email and it bounced back saying it wasn't a valid address. I will try the number tomorrow during business hours to see what's going on. I was all excited and then let down.

And Scottsmum it's funny you say that about Fenzi. I found their website and was trying to find out where they were based and where they run classes and it took me forever to realise they send you the course material to do at home. Well I think that's what I'm deducing from your post? So if I can't even work that out easily I'm about worried about the course material and being able to follow it!

Rumour they have no course listed since June (also nothing on their FB page since June). I tried to email and it bounced back saying it wasn't a valid address. I will try the number tomorrow during business hours to see what's going on. I was all excited and then let down.

And Scottsmum it's funny you say that about Fenzi. I found their website and was trying to find out where they were based and where they run classes and it took me forever to realise they send you the course material to do at home. Well I think that's what I'm deducing from your post? So if I can't even work that out easily I'm about worried about the course material and being able to follow it!

Yup - they're online :)

I got a message through to All Paws and she is sending me more info. Next free starter class is in Oct. She said even if Tempeh is uncomfortable coming to the classes what she gives us can be done at home instead. So yay! I think we'll be part of Team Nosework this year too!

THANK YOU RUMOUR!!!!!!!!

Edited by Little Gifts

I got the Nosework info from All Paws and my sister and I both broke up laughing at the advice to not feed our dog that day before the class so that they are very, very hungry. If Tempeh was forced to go without food for even one meal she'd find a way to get hold of an RSPCA Inspector and have the situation immediately rectified! I suspect I'll have to go with half meals on class days if our neighbourhood values its peace and quiet. Hangry doesn't even come close to describing her if meals are served late.

I fed a half or quarter meal for the first lesson. Early on a LOT of food is used to build drive and value, and to help the dog be successful. I have a very food driven dog and am more concerned about weight gain than anything else. :)

Our info sheet said to give a smaller meal but not to fast the dog completely as they may have problems concentrating. It did say not to feed within two hours of the class.

If Tempeh is very food driven dog you probably won't have an issue with her lacking interest in the search, provided that the food is high value.

Our info sheet said to give a smaller meal but not to fast the dog completely as they may have problems concentrating. It did say not to feed within two hours of the class.

Ive heard that too.

That said, I don't recall ever being told to withhold food at all. Scottie is the least food driven dog i have ever met & he works fine ;)

Cute video PK. What was in the box?

He was actually searching for a couple of small cubes of cooked chicken that were placed on a metal tin beside the box.

We started off searching for food placed in boxes, so they are now a signal that the game is on. Metal is confusing as scent doesn't stay on it but travels off.

This is what she advised re food: "If you decide to take the course you will need to feed her the smallest amount of food like enough to just cover the palm of your hand the night before we start and nothing at all on the day. We need her to be very, very hungry...." If I did this from the night before all hell would break loose before we even went to bed that night! She's not so much food orientated but has a tendency to get an upset stomach if not fed regularly. Food is just an important part of her day and night and once she is satiated she stops eating. I don't even need to feed her high value food when she is hungry to get her to do a puzzle. Most mornings she just does it with her regular kibble. So I think I'll just feed her normally until that evening meal and just cut that right back (and only kibble) so by the time we are at class she thinks she is getting the rest and the best. I can't see her behaving at all on an empty stomach - she would be having a total tantie.

This is what she advised re food: "If you decide to take the course you will need to feed her the smallest amount of food like enough to just cover the palm of your hand the night before we start and nothing at all on the day. We need her to be very, very hungry...." If I did this from the night before all hell would break loose before we even went to bed that night! She's not so much food orientated but has a tendency to get an upset stomach if not fed regularly. Food is just an important part of her day and night and once she is satiated she stops eating. I don't even need to feed her high value food when she is hungry to get her to do a puzzle. Most mornings she just does it with her regular kibble. So I think I'll just feed her normally until that evening meal and just cut that right back (and only kibble) so by the time we are at class she thinks she is getting the rest and the best. I can't see her behaving at all on an empty stomach - she would be having a total tantie.

That's rubbish, my dogs have all their regular meals and are highly titled in several disciplines, including Tracking.............I knew of a small dog which nearly died on a long track because some halfwit had advised the owner not to feed her the night before........

• 2 weeks later...
  • Troy unlocked this topic