Try Again.....bedding For New Addition

swain

Ok...so we've had a bit of a rough time with 2 of our dogs passing in the last month. Today we are getting a new addition and look forward to the shenanigans that brings.

Anyway...my question is...is it appropriate to use my past dogs bedding. I'd recently bought it and there is nothing wrong with it. I've washed them but wonder if new dog would feel at home using the bedding.

Thoughts??? Or should it be new beginnings for Maddie (new dog)

I think The Spotted Devil is bang on :)

One word of advice - we let our "new" dog Scottie sleep on our previous dogs blankie - which I had put away as I wasn't ready to part with it. It was really hard for me to walk past and see a little black and white "person" sleeping on her blanket only to realise it wasn't her.

But he had no problems using it :)

Thanks guys! Hadn't really considered that it was me that might find it difficult seeing past dogs bed. Thats probably more the point ☺ Seems a shame that they just be chucked out. New pup is 8mths old...so if she does chew up the bed thats ok. Thanks just wasnt sure if it's the 'done' thing ????

Ok...so we've had a bit of a rough time with 2 of our dogs passing in the last month. Today we are getting a new addition and look forward to the shenanigans that brings.

Anyway...my question is...is it appropriate to use my past dogs bedding. I'd recently bought it and there is nothing wrong with it. I've washed them but wonder if new dog would feel at home using the bedding.

Thoughts??? Or should it be new beginnings for Maddie (new dog)

I reckon Maddie will be fine. If she things about it at all, she might wonder where the other dog is.

Thanks guys! Hadn't really considered that it was me that might find it difficult seeing past dogs bed. Thats probably more the point ☺ Seems a shame that they just be chucked out. New pup is 8mths old...so if she does chew up the bed thats ok. Thanks just wasnt sure if it's the 'done' thing ????

Yes, dog are generally more adaptable than we are.

One of my littlies who went to god nearly 8 years ago was predominantly white and black. Tamar (Maltese Shihtzu cross) is white and she has a black and white coat and when she goes past me wearing it, I regularly have a nano second of thinking she is Tirra.

My dad made Poochie a wooden box when she was a puppy and for 16 years it was "her" box. I brought Zeus home when she was about 14 and it became his puppy box for a little while through the chewing stages.

Until she passed Zeus and Poochie would share it until eventually we had her pts. The box then became Kirah's puppy bed and it's now Rupert's puppy box. If anyone asks me about it, it's still to this day called Poochie's Box. It still has her puppy teeth marks on the edging combined with Zeus's, Kirah's and Rupie's.

I know that Poochie wouldn't mind sharing her bed and I love keeping it around as a reminder of one of the best dogs I'll ever have the privilege of sharing my life with.

Long story short, it's definitely us humans who form the attachments your little Maddie pup will be fine!!

PS Don't forget the pictures!!!

I still see glimpses of my old girl....though it hasn't been long for us. Aorr of comforting to know that even after 8 years their past life affects you.Thanks Dame Danny's Darling ☺

What a nice little keep sake RiverStar-Aura....love how it's being passed down from generation to generation ???? Love how it's still Poochies box ☺

Will post some pics when she gets here....only 1hr 15mins....give or take. Not that we're counting ????

I'm sure she will be fine with the bedding you have, and hopefully it will last longer than a few nights. :laugh: (I remember when Minty was a pup, up until aged 3 she destroyed every bed she had, none of them lasted for more than a month or two before they were dismembered, she especially loved old doonas to rip up, she was so mouthy lol)

And don't forget piccies of your new addition, how exciting. :D

And I'm really sorry to hear you lost your two dogs so close together, that would have been hard. :hug:

We kept our papillon's bed as a backup when Malcolm came along, but the backup quickly became the bed of choice! Or at least the choice when sharing mine wasn't on offer. :laugh:

I felt a little weird at first? Perhaps a touch of sadness. But I moved on quickly when it came to the bed. It wasn't a treasured keepsake by any means and to be honest, Malcolm responding negatively did not occur to me. It is sweet that you thought of that for your puppy.

To be honest what terrified me the most was the idea of Malcolm desecrating our old boy's grave, however he has never even walked over it.

I am sorry for your losses. :hug:

I'm sure she will be fine with the bedding you have, and hopefully it will last longer than a few nights. :laugh: (I remember when Minty was a pup, up until aged 3 she destroyed every bed she had, none of them lasted for more than a month or two before they were dismembered, she especially loved old doonas to rip up, she was so mouthy lol)

And don't forget piccies of your new addition, how exciting. :D

And I'm really sorry to hear you lost your two dogs so close together, that would have been hard. :hug:

Thanks Cazablanca! Sounds like you needed to have shares in a dog bed company :laugh:

We kept our papillon's bed as a backup when Malcolm came along, but the backup quickly became the bed of choice! Or at least the choice when sharing mine wasn't on offer. :laugh:

I felt a little weird at first? Perhaps a touch of sadness. But I moved on quickly when it came to the bed. It wasn't a treasured keepsake by any means and to be honest, Malcolm responding negatively did not occur to me. It is sweet that you thought of that for your puppy.

To be honest what terrified me the most was the idea of Malcolm desecrating our old boy's grave, however he has never even walked over it.

I am sorry for your losses. :hug:

Thank you Papillon! i just felt a bit strange reusing these items.......but that is definitely a human thing. Oh yes the idea of the grave being dug up or something is a nightmare. Glad Malcom has left it alone :D

Fern got all new things, because all current beds were being utilised by the dogs at our other house. I'm not going to be buying new beds when her little brother joins us in September.

Oohhh....newby coming! How exciting!