Anyone Ordered Pet Meds Online?

One of my dogs is on expensive, ongoing medication for her joints and so far I have bought it from my vet, but I just saw an advert on Facebook for online vet pharmacy (yes, Australian based) and wondering if anyone has any experience buying pet medicines online?

The one I saw the FB post for was https://www.petscripts.com.au

I've been buying Scotties prescription meds from an online pharmacy - I'm very happy with them.

They're based locally but don't take drop ins so you have to post the script to them - then they confirm they've received it. Once that's done you can buy on a case by case (or pack by pack) basis or purchase all of your refills at once.

They send all meds out by courier and they're always here the next business day. Payment by paypal. Amazing customer service. I'm saving about $40 a packet - so saving 120 a quarter. I have to go back to the vet every 3 months for a check up and new script. Vet charges for the consult and $20 to write the script but I would be going back to the vet every 3-6 months anyhow and I still think I'm coming out in front. This is them - not that they'd be much help to you :) http://www.willowbark.co.nz/

I also used to buy my last dogs meds from a compounding chemist in Sydney I think - not quite the same but I'd call and pay by credit card & they'd dispatch the next day to my vet so the meds could be left in the fridge til I could pick them up.

I'd say give them a try - as different suppliers are always going to be different.

I have some vetmedin: 62 x 1.25mg capsules as well as 28 x 1.25 chewable tablets. The chewables are broken in 1/2 as Mac's dose was 1 capsule and 1/2 chewable morning and night.

Anyone's dog on these? Mac was taken off this medications...maybe I'll sell them on Gumtree

I looked into buying them online- one of my dogs is on a fair bit of medication and will be for the rest of his life- but after checking prices pretty much everywhere, my vet was the cheapest, before even factoring in the cost of postage. I assume he discounts them for me because even if Idiot Dog only makes it to 10 years of age, he will have needed over thirteen thousand tablets to get there. If my vet hadn't been cheaper, I would've spoken to him about the cost. From a business point of view, better to lose a couple of dollars profit and keep your lifetime customer than lose them completely to somewhere cheaper.

So perhaps it might be worth finding out what the average price is online and then taking that back to your vet to discuss the possibility of a discount (assuming your vet charges more than the onlines- you might be surprised).

Wow I saved at least $60 on the cost of one med buying online - they definitely have a huge mark up on meds. What I order fits into the free postage category to.

Edited by ness

I use www.petguardians.com.au which are a registered charity with all profits going to aged pensioners and their pets. Definitely great savings buying online. I save about $70 every 6 weeks for prescription meds and postage is free and pretty fast (my vet does charge a small script fee and while the script has several repeats, we have a vet visit in between to check on status, do blood tests and renew the script as necessary, so the vet really isn't losing out).

Edited by espinay2

Yep, my old girl is on 2 incontinence drugs daily (as well as Cartrophen arthritis tablets twice daily).

The incontinence ones I was getting from my vet for a year or two. I then discovered the online pharmacies, and (after the initial awkward talk to the vet about getting a script instead of buying the meds from them!), I got the script (which the vet charged me $15 for but it did include 2 repeats), and I sent the scripts (one for each incontinence med) to the online pharmacy. I ordered the goods online and had quick delivery.

For ongoing meds it's very much worthwhile, even with the $15 script fee. (I have stuck with buying the Cartrophen from the vet as was too embarrassed to move ALL my buying of ongoing meds from them!)

So with the 2 incontinence things, the Incurin tablets went from $99 for a month's supply to $46 per month (this includes shipping and script cost) and the Propalin about halved the cost too. Given she is on these forever and daily, buying online is a great cost-saver.

So I got a prescription from my vet - he charged $10 but I guess that's ok as he is losing the profit on the sale of the meds. I placed the order with Pet Scripts and it was all pretty straightforward. Order received this morning and it all seems fine. My vet gave me repeats so taking that in to account I reckon I'll save about $150.