Double Sided Tricks

mowgliandme

I want to teach my puppy a few “double sided” tricks like: crossing paws, shake hands, weaving between feet (forward and backwards) do I need separate words for each side/direction?

In kikopups tutorial she uses the words “spin” and “twirl” for different directions of doing a small circle but I can’t hear what she says for the crossing paws and weaving. In her cross your paws tutorial it looks like its just one word and she crosses her foot as the gesture? What would be easiest to teach?

I use different words for different directions. I use left & right for spins & for cross paws I use criss & cross, though we still havn't managed the "cross" bit yet. For marching I use hip & hop. For leg weaves I just say "legs" no matter from what direction but if I want her to reverse through my legs I say "reverse" For going around me I just say "around" but if I want her to reverse around me I say "scoot".

I started out using single words and now use dual for most things

So left/right for spin, heel/side for going to heel Different ways. Flip to heel on right. Around to go around me and behind to do it backwards. Paw vs fist bump. Up/on/booty for how many limbs on an object and which. Can use words you want and remember XD

For the crossing if fading out your signal id go two commands.

Edited by Thistle the dog

Paw = rise left front foot, Foot = raise right front foot. Hint .. if you have more than one dog, have a consistent set of cues for every dog .. not different ones for different dogs ... :laugh:

I hear you on that one! I changed some of my cues for Nitro to be consistent with the new handling system, and sometimes I have to think about which dog I am training :laugh:

I use different words for different directions. I use left & right for spins & for cross paws I use criss & cross, though we still havn't managed the "cross" bit yet. For marching I use hip & hop. For leg weaves I just say "legs" no matter from what direction but if I want her to reverse through my legs I say "reverse" For going around me I just say "around" but if I want her to reverse around me I say "scoot".

What is marching? :)

Paw = rise left front foot, Foot = raise right front foot. Hint .. if you have more than one dog, have a consistent set of cues for every dog .. not different ones for different dogs ... :laugh:

Ooops too late already with that one, and already sort of regretting it...

housemates dog has drop = lie down and down = get off the couch, mine has drop = drop the chew/shoe, down = for lie down, though thats the words i wanted and doubt we'll be housemates forever

What is marching? :)

Well...more like "marking time". They are facing me & lifting one front paw at at time on the spot

It's great as it ensures your dog is truly listening (rather than throwing behaviours) and it's very handy to have precise behaviours named. I delivered a lecture at a seminar today and the local newspaper turned up for an interview and a photo - it just so happened I had my Springers in the car (and someone told the photographer) so Em joined me for the photo shoot. She was just amazing - whatever the photographer wanted her to do (can you get her to put her front paws on your knee? No your other knee - and hold that position?) OK so slightly unusual situation but she was so easy to work with the guy was gobsmacked.

It's great as it ensures your dog is truly listening (rather than throwing behaviours) and it's very handy to have precise behaviours named. I delivered a lecture at a seminar today and the local newspaper turned up for an interview and a photo - it just so happened I had my Springers in the car (and someone told the photographer) so Em joined me for the photo shoot. She was just amazing - whatever the photographer wanted her to do (can you get her to put her front paws on your knee? No your other knee - and hold that position?) OK so slightly unusual situation but she was so easy to work with the guy was gobsmacked.

Proud Mum moment :)

I could plan commands but what comes out of my mouth is generally what I use...

So I've got "shake (hands)" and "other hand"... and

spin/twist for anticlockwise and clockwise circles - but I also use a hand signal like I'm stirring a cauldron...

I tried to train "lalala" but what comes out of my mouth is "go round" with the cauldron signal - for which way to go round.

I've got "left" and "right" (turn) but often it's "left, left a bit" or "other left".

And I have "finish" for heel on left side and a signal to point whether go round the front or back (flip finish or behind finish?) and... "(other) side" and signal for heel on the right side.

I use "through" or "weave" for leg weaves or just "strike a pose" with my feet and through she goes...

I prefix a lot of stuff with "go"...

evil hound is better at lefts and rights than I am... sigh. but mostly she gets her cues off my body and hand signals.

Proud Mum moment :)

Training goals! :)

spin/twist for anticlockwise and clockwise circles - but I also use a hand signal like I'm stirring a cauldron...

I tried to train "lalala" but what comes out of my mouth is "go round" with the cauldron signal - for which way to go round.

I've got "left" and "right" (turn) but often it's "left, left a bit" or "other left".

And I have "finish" for heel on left side and a signal to point whether go round the front or back (flip finish or behind finish?) and... "(other) side" and signal for heel on the right side.

I use "through" or "weave" for leg weaves or just "strike a pose" with my feet and through she goes...

evil hound is better at lefts and rights than I am... sigh. but mostly she gets her cues off my body and hand signals.

I am terrible at left and rights too

Its interesting what the words end up being! I spent 2 days trying different words/combos for a "release type" off leash word (just for our backyard) in the end "off you go!" was the only thing that stuck :)

Edited by mowgliandme

Hint .. if you have more than one dog, have a consistent set of cues for every dog .. not different ones for different dogs ... :laugh:

NOW you tell me :rofl:

:rofl: It was a real pain when they were both doing Rally, and I had to remember different cuea in the same class. Mind you, their names are quite often "Rory,Kirra whoever you are".

And yay for Miss Em .. definitely proud mum moment for you TSD.

I am terrible at left and rights too

Its interesting what the words end up being! I spent 2 days trying different words/combos for a "release type" off leash word (just for our backyard) in the end "off you go!" was the only thing that stuck :)

With my older girl, I taught back & close for left & right, because that is what Greg Drerrit did, but when the younger guy came along we just taught it as it was...left & right. Now I am in the process of transferring the girl to left & right & she gets it most of the time, especially if I give the tiniest little point of the finger but she still responds to back & close. Directionals are very handy if you are ever thinking of doing agility...I use them in an emergency when I just can't get there to give a body cue :)

a "release type" off leash word (just for our backyard) in the end "off you go!" was the only thing that stuck :)

My dog pretty much gets "go play" or "go sniff" but my backyard is actually one of the most challenging places to train because she got to do whatever she liked there until she was about 18 months old and then... I asked her to work with me and even now if she'd rather "go sniff" or hunt rats or whatever I just end the training session... I try to have the session only while she's keen to work, if she's quitting on me - I figure I've run it too long or not done good enough "transitions"...

Dogs do seem to understand context cues, eg "out" when doing agility means something slightly different to when we're in the kitchen tho it always means "away from me".

It is a real joy to see understanding of "go play/sniff" ie dog is working with me and then I say "go play" and off she goes.

I also have "go say hello" and "where's (person's name)" and "who dat dere"... for send out to greet friends. She will go about 1km up the beach for "Where's Linda?" - cos Linda has roast chicken and will hand it over to naughty dogs.

I really tried the 'go sniff' and 'go play' command for letting her loose in the backyard but i never managed to remember it and "off you go" got stuck instead! I am using 'go sniff' when she is on lead and i'll follow her around for a little bit before saying 'lets go'

Definitely need a go say hello type command for her as at the moment she doesn't have much impulse control in wanting to say hi to all the strangers and to get the pats...

sheena is your left and right command for when youre walking on lead and turning directions or something else? how do you use it in agility? feel they could be used in so many situations like look left/right, run, give paw, side step, heel, turn left/right) that i dont know what to use it for unless you can use it for most of them?